DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2019 Subaru Ascent with the premium sound system. This is one step up from the base. It has a nice big touchscreen head unit from harman and six speakers. Dash tweeters, 6x9 woofer in the front door and 6.5" coax in the rear door. I'd like to add an amp to get the rear speakers full range and possibly add a sub. A friend gave me a five channel Kicker IQ 5 channel amp. I know this amp can take lots of inputs and sum them all together to rebuild full range channels and then has crazy EQ settings I can apply on a per output basis. I've already replaced the speakers with Pioneer parts, though I find these speakers aren't that great so I'll probably build my own replacements later.

I was wondering if anybody knew the following:

1. Are the dash tweeters wired in parallel to the door woofers or are they separate channels?
2. The Harman Kardon upgrade installs an amp under the driver's seat, and I see there is an amp looking device under there. Can I get all the signals at this location or am I going to need to tap everything behind the head unit?
2.5 If yes to #2 anybody know the wiring pinout?
3. ??? I'm sure there are other questions I haven't thought of.

·
Registered
891 Posts
If it’s the same as the Outback/legacy harman kardon systems, you can’t get a good signal from the head unit. You have to either pick up the high level signal after the amp, or replace the head unit and amp.

·
Super Moderator
1,024 Posts
Although I do not have a Subaru (Actually we bought our daughter a 2019 Forrester) but I was faced with the same situation with my 2019 Honda Passport, which also had the upgraded (540w) OEM stereo. Anyway, I went with the Audison AP F8.9 DSP Amp.

It tapped into the stock head unit (and CD player) and was able to use the OEM speaker outputs, de-equalize the signal and restore a full frequency input (read about that in the link below):

Probably the best advantage of the AP F8.9 over the Helix V-8 is the ability to BRIDGE two channels together (for a 260w output) to drive a Sub-woofer.

So you could upgrade your front Woofers and Tweeters, run a set of co-axials or a two way speaker set "passively" in the rear and power your sub, all with ONE Amp, that is roughly 9"x6"x2"...

No need to beef up your alternator, battery or electrical system...

Just a thought, I know it was not exactly what you were asking about...

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

·
Registered
891 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Although I do not have a Subaru (Actually we bought our daughter a 2019 Forrester) but I was faced with the same situation with my 2019 Honda Passport, which also had the upgraded (540w) OEM stereo. Anyway, I went with the Audison AP F8.9 DSP Amp.

It tapped into the stock head unit (and CD player) and was able to use the OEM speaker outputs, de-equalize the signal and restore a full frequency input (read about that in the link below):

Probably the best advantage of the AP F8.9 over the Helix V-8 is the ability to BRIDGE two channels together (for a 260w output) to drive a Sub-woofer.

So you could upgrade your front Woofers and Tweeters, run a set of co-axials or a two way speaker set "passively" in the rear and power your sub, all with ONE Amp, that is roughly 9"x6"x2"...
I have a Kicker IQ1000.5 already which should be able to do all those things. Mainly just looking for info on the best way to connect it.

When we first bought the car I changed all the speakers to Pioneer TS-A series (6.5" 3 way in the rear doors, 6x9 components in the front). But the front section isn't very good. The tweeters are WAY too bright, and the 6x9 woofer has a sonic character I don't like, and it could really use a midrange. I was thinking of putting a better tweeter in the dash and changing the door woofer to probably a 6.5" woofer. The rear door only plays to about 160hz so I'd restore low frequency signal to that channel probably down to 50hz or so. Then add a small sub someplace for the rest of the bass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks, this is very helpful. The amp in my car looks exactly like that

1 - 9 of 9 Posts