DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm looking at purchasing my first ATV, it will be used mostly for basic trail riding not big on racing or mudding. My first choice is the Honda Recon 250ES which i can get a leftover new 07 model for about $2500. I can get the sportier 250ex a lot cheaper and there's a Suzuki LTZ250 close to me for only $1300 that needs a little carb work. I'm a pretty small guy at 5'8 about 145 lbs so i don't want anything much bigger and want to keep it pretty lightweight. Any others i should look at, i like the Arctic Cat DVX 250 or 300 too but not sure how reliable that brand is.

250ex

recon

suzuki ltz250

·
Registered
37 Posts
yes i do, and why a 250? look into a raptor 250 also. I rode one and for me( 6' 240lbs) it was actually pretty decent. Alot nicer riding and way more power than a z250 or 250ex

and arctic cat ( sport quads mostly) are rebranded suzuki's

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raptor has a clutch and no reverse so i'd pass on it and with the Arctic Cat being chain drive i'll forget about it too. I'd like to get the new Rancher AT but i'm going to being paying cash and don't want to spend more than about $2500 max.

·
Registered
37 Posts
why don't you want chain drive? IMO chain drive is easier and cheaper to maintain/fix when it gets worn out. and what's wrong with a clutch?

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just don't want to hassle with the clutch or chain, i think i'm going to stick with the Recon ES and throw some nice wheels and tires on it.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Buddy of mine rode a Recon ES and had just as much fun as our 400's. We mostly rode trails, so no where really for us to run off and leave him, and it would do just fine climbing hills. Had another guy with a LTZ250 ride with us before and buddy's wife rides a 250EX. All good bikes. Got to plug the Zukis though, I had a Z400 after all...

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Just curious, how are you going to haul this thing?

One thing to keep in mind is wider is better.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
I worked as a service writer for an ATV / MC shop for a while a couple years ago, and I can say definitively that Polaris was our best product as long as you aren't racing it. For trail riding, durability, engine quality, etc... Polaris won hands down. I'd say they still do if you find one in good condition, 4 stroke ONLY.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
^^^ Agreed. The only thing I ever had to do with Polaris was kept a steady stock of spark plugs around because they constantly fouled out (lady kept forgetting to turn the fuel valve off when not riding). But that was it. Ran like a champ with a new plug in it. Them Scramblers are pretty nice. I looked at it before getting the Zuki. Loading a 380 lb. bike by myself versus a 570 lb one was the decision maker (ok that and after slamming the throttle down on the Z400.)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I have a Kaw paririe 360 and liked it MUCH better on wooded trails than the Polaris... the Polaris wore you out BAD whereas the kaw just did it. That Polaris will SMOKE it on the straights though but it was apples and oranges on engine displacement.

The kaw has been a solid machine for me and I use it for WORKING not just playing. it has a CVT, 2 ranges forward (I really only use low for pulling and plowing) 4WD, lockable front end, yadda, yadda. check out lightly used used ones.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Looks like you're leaning towards sports riding more than utility...

I'm a utility user... I have an '03 Polaris 700 Sportsman... It gets constant PUNISHING year round use, and is still running strong... It's heavy, but it hauls ass...
I've considered getting a Polaris 500HO Scrambler for fun and sport riding.

atvquadsquad.com - Powered by Eve Community is a good forum with boards for ALL makes and models.
I would ask around there -found it very helpful for atv questions.

·
Registered
362 Posts
For what you are looking for, it's hard to beat a Honda. I personally can't stand them, but they do have lengendary reliability, and easy maintenance.

Me personally, I own a Yamaha Banshee, a Kawasaki VForce, and my next race machine will be the new Yamaha YFZ-R.

I don't own any utility quads, but I do ride them often.

Either of those would be fine, as long as they are big enough to pull you around fast enough.

·
Registered
751 Posts
This is starting to resemble a "What sub sounds best? thread"! :p

·
Registered
285 Posts
there's a Suzuki LTZ250 close to me for only $1300 that needs a little carb work.
If you plan on keeping and using the ATV a lot I'd do my best to stay away from Carb's and things that need carb work especially.

Most times if it's gunked up or had bad gas that ran though it then it can be a PIA to get cleaned out. If it's sat for a while the carb might be dirty and also have a coat of varnish that has formed from the gas.

To expand on my first statement. If you plan to keep the ATV for a while I'd do my best to get fuel injected. It may not be possible with the ones you are looking at but they start so nicely (no choking needed on the ones I had), run so consistent and if you do mod them you can buy tuners to tune them instead of switching out jets etc... I went through a lot of quad's with carbs before I got a few Raptor 700's that my brother and I rode. After we got the Raptor 700's that's what we stayed with until we sold the quads for we didn't have time to ride them anymore.

·
Registered
18,244 Posts
If you plan on keeping and using the ATV a lot I'd do my best to stay away from Carb's and things that need carb work especially.

Most times if it's gunked up or had bad gas that ran though it then it can be a PIA to get cleaned out. If it's sat for a while the carb might be dirty and also have a coat of varnish that has formed from the gas.

To expand on my first statement. If you plan to keep the ATV for a while I'd do my best to get fuel injected. It may not be possible with the ones you are looking at but they start so nicely (no choking needed on the ones I had), run so consistent and if you do mod them you can buy tuners to tune them instead of switching out jets etc... I went through a lot of quad's with carbs before I got a few Raptor 700's that my brother and I rode. After we got the Raptor 700's that's what we stayed with until we sold the quads for we didn't have time to ride them anymore.
its been 6 years, i doubt he even still has that atv, even if he did buy it back then

1 - 19 of 19 Posts