DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a series of events I had to sell my a/d/s P4100.2 amplifier that I was using with my a/d/s 12" sub. I recently installed a Zed Minilith Class D amp. The sound is definitely not the same, but I cannot put my finger on it exactly.

Anyone have a similar experience when going to a Class D amp? I really did no think I would hear a difference, but I do. And if it's my imagination, why do I imagine going back to a/d/s so readily? :)

Thoughts? Am I nuts? Is what I hear, a real difference?

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
I didn't used to think a class D could sound as good as an a/b. However I have the JL HDs in my car and absolutely love them.

I can't speak for any other full range class Ds, but the JLs are as good or better than 90% of the amps that I have owned in the past.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I think at one point you could tell the difference when class D were new.. but I think they have gotten really good. I have some class D amps (Kenwood X4r and LOVE them). Perhaps what you are hearing is the difference between amps and not the difference in general topology of the amp... that is to say, I love my kenwoods and don't care for the JL Audio slash amps I have listened to... doesn't mean the different topology has anything to do with it.... aslo doesn't mean JL sucks (a LOT of people like them) just not me.

·
Premium Member
11,513 Posts
I mean I really really disliked the Slash series of amps. They came out of my car as fast as I could get them out of there. I disliked them so much that I really was hesitant to try the HD amps. But the HDs are more like my old Brax than the Slash series.

·
Registered
92 Posts
There are quality and inferior class A/B so does the class D but the Zed are suppose to be good. I can hear the difference between Audison Lrx and Hifonics.
The Hifonics gets really hard to tune it tight. Audison is just plug and play, and it hits deeper.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
There are quality and inferior class A/B so does the class D but the Zed are suppose to be good. I can hear the difference between Audison Lrx and Hifonics.
The Hifonics gets really hard to tune it tight. Audison is just plug and play, and it hits deeper.
yes, but that is like comparing the corning in a kia vs a BMW.

if you take two equallity well designed class A/B and class D amplifiers. in a blind test I bet you cant tell.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Lets look at the main fact here. Class A/B amps are far more linear than class D amps. What does this mean? Linearity is the amps ability to correctly amplify the input signal. The classes originate from the component topology. That is the same no matter brand or model number. What is different, is all the other sub-circuits; power supply, rectifier, amplifier, crossovers, etc etc etc.

Is this difference audible? Hell yes! But to an extent. One thing I would like to mention would be the "plasebo effect." I would guess that 90% of the guys on this forum are excited when it comes to installing new equipment, wether it be drivers or amps. This gives the user an expectation. It is my hypothesis that this expectation taints the users ability to critcally analyze the change in sound.

The only way to bypass this is if some stranger installs new equipment while youre buying tampons for the wife in Walmart. I believe that if the switch was done unknowingly to the user, then and only then will the user be able to fully tell a difference.

I am not trying to say that the placebo effect is the cause for all audible differences in new equipment, but it does play a major role in it IMHO.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
Lets look at the main fact here. Class A/B amps are far more linear than class D amps. What does this mean? Linearity is the amps ability to correctly amplify the input signal. The classes originate from the component topology. That is the same no matter brand or model number. What is different, is all the other sub-circuits; power supply, rectifier, amplifier, crossovers, etc etc etc.

Is this difference audible? Hell yes! But to an extent. One thing I would like to mention would be the "plasebo effect." I would guess that 90% of the guys on this forum are excited when it comes to installing new equipment, wether it be drivers or amps. This gives the user an expectation. It is my hypothesis that this expectation taints the users ability to critcally analyze the change in sound.

The only way to bypass this is if some stranger installs new equipment while youre buying tampons for the wife in Walmart. I believe that if the switch was done unknowingly to the user, then and only then will the user be able to fully tell a difference.

I am not trying to say that the placebo effect is the cause for all audible differences in new equipment, but it does play a major role in it IMHO.

I think that does play a role in any audio purchase. people dont want to beelive that what they bought it crap, even if it is :p

that said, I stand by what i said, lol. two well designed amplifiers, one class A/B and one class D, you wont hear a difference. class A/B have thier issues with zero cross distortion, and people swear they can hear the "digital" effect of class D. good class D sample at 400Mhz, no way you are gonna hear the it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I think that does play a role in any audio purchase. people dont want to beelive that what they bought it crap, even if it is :p

that said, I stand by what i said, lol. two well designed amplifiers, one class A/B and one class D, you wont hear a difference. class A/B have thier issues with zero cross distortion, and people swear they can hear the "digital" effect of class D. good class D sample at 400Mhz, no way you are gonna hear the it.
I kind of agree with you, but it is hard to say without having a perfect A to B comparison. I am just coming from an EE background and I know the differences in characteristics of the amp classes. I havent put two different amps to the test yet. And to be quite honest, I highly doubt that its even possible to do so. Think about it...Lets take JL Audio for example. They would not make an amp available in either class A/B or class D. Yes, they have some class D models and they also have some class A/B models. But they are different models. Their JX and their Slash series of amps are both A/B. Will they sound the same? No. Like I said earlier, there is a lot more to an amp aside from their amplifier stage. If you know of a way that I can perform this test, let me know. Im curious :D

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Well, the problem is, there's no company will make 2 same amp with different classes..... So we are doing apple to orange comparison only...
For me, I'll use class D amps from front stage till sub stage if I have very limited power supply system, else class AB for front stage and class D for sub stage...
It will be great if there's a company will come out with bias AB on input stage and class D on output stage. Don't know will this happen or not?

·
Registered
848 Posts
same talk is in home audio forums as well.

-Many who own class D amps love them....
-Many class A & class A/B owners state class D can't sound good while some have never heard them..... just looking at how they work
-Many went from A-A/B to D & quickly sold their old stuff, prefer the D class sound

In a home environment I am sure it's a LOT easier to hear the difference. But considering there is a big difference between the sound of various class A/B amps I am sure there is a difference. If I didn't have my old Adcom amps for my cars I would jump on the class D bandwagon due to size

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
This has been discussed endlessly. For all intent's purposes, in amplifiers that are both equally well designed, you will not hear a difference between Class A/B and Class D in amps you can buy today. If there is a miniscule measured distance, it will be overwhelmed by the noise you get when you start up your car and drive away.

Tripath demonstrated a few years back that a Class T amplifier (a variant of Class D) could sound nearly as good as a tube amplifier.

It may sound a bit different because amps in general sound different. I could give you one of the 4 different Class AB amps in my garage and it would sound a bit different on each one of them. The fact that this new amp is a Class D has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
546 Posts
same talk is in home audio forums as well.

-Many who own class D amps love them....
-Many class A & class A/B owners state class D can't sound good while some have never heard them..... just looking at how they work
-Many went from A-A/B to D & quickly sold their old stuff, prefer the D class sound

In a home environment I am sure it's a LOT easier to hear the difference. But considering there is a big difference between the sound of various class A/B amps I am sure there is a difference. If I didn't have my old Adcom amps for my cars I would jump on the class D bandwagon due to size
I agree completely. Sadly, I come with an EE background and fall into the second category that you listed. I do know that there is good quality class D amps out there. Just look at the reviews on the JL HD amps. And with all of the extra reflections, noises, and so on in the car environment, its more than likely that we cannot hear the audible difference inbetween amp classes. Again, that is hard to say with assurance. With that being said, there are alot of great class D amps that are both small in footprint and price :p which we are all happy to have!

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
yup, I come from the EE background as well. even knowing how differently they operate. if your ears cant tell, dont really matter ;)

·
Registered
649 Posts
This has been discussed endlessly. For all intent's purposes, in amplifiers that are both equally well designed, you will not hear a difference between Class A/B and Class D in amps you can buy today. If there is a miniscule measured distance, it will be overwhelmed by the noise you get when you start up your car and drive away.

Tripath demonstrated a few years back that a Class T amplifier (a variant of Class D) could sound nearly as good as a tube amplifier.

It may sound a bit different because amps in general sound different. I could give you one of the 4 different Class AB amps in my garage and it would sound a bit different on each one of them. The fact that this new amp is a Class D has nothing to do with it.
yes... this...

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.