DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after a disastrous night trying (and failing) to build a box with my dad, the project has changed and i am starting over. i have a pile of paraply sitting in the corner of my garage; has anyone used paraply and had good results? how does it compare to birch or mdf?

·
Registered
939 Posts
Ok, I'll bite, what the heck is paraply?

Google says it's an umbrella type device.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha, that is what my dad said it was called. ill cut some when i get home and take it to home depot to find out what it really is.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm assuming it's either particle board type stuff or "para" meaning 4 = Four ply's of wood. Also if you're going to use birch, make sure its high grade russian birch which is usually birch wood all the way through in each ply. Why Russian Birch? It's grown more dense due to the colder climate and that's what gives it its famous resonance properties. Not sure how hardwood russian birch would sound but I'm assuming its not going to have the same properties as the plywood birch product would. Stick to Medium Density Fiberboard for the best results. Or High Density Fiberboard if you must.

·
Registered
224 Posts
CulinaryGod - 'para' is Latin for "beside or near" among other meanings. Quadra means 4, as in a quadraceps or quadraplegic

·
Registered
455 Posts
Prolly O.S.B (oriented strand board)

·
Registered
336 Posts
Para, Quadra, get those mixed up sometimes. My fault. I've actually got pictures from China when my father went a few weeks ago of plywood being built in these large factories its pretty interesting on how they lay it out and what its actually composed of, bark and all that stuff just jumbled in there. Furniture grade plywood eh? Most B, and A grade plywood would qualify as furniture grade and about the glued edges that just doesn't sound right as I doubt it would need it unless they cheaped out on the adhesives and their hydraulic clamping machines weren't up to par. Although I have run across a 100% water proof OSB before that we left totally submerged for over a month and it actually shrunk 1/32".

Edit: Found out what paraply is. Like stated above, it's usually 11-ply plywood thats more dense than birch, cheaper than birch, and heavier than birch, and even sometimes looks like birch but in a darker shade. I'm sure its good for speakerbox building but you just can't beat some of that old school russian birch. It's good stuff :-D.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Why Russian Birch? It's grown more dense due to the colder climate and that's what gives it its famous resonance properties.
Whoa. That would be sweet for midbass baffles or entire midrange pods. One of the reasons that really great home speakers sound so good is that the enclosures are so resonance-free that the boxes and speakers just disappear and you hear nothing but the music, even at low volumes.

I'm referring specifically to a pair of B&W 801s that a friend of my father owns.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Also, Jazz what kind of problems did you have exactly? Could you not figure out the internal dimensions or was the whole assembly thing just gettin' to ya?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts