DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
updating the fuse panel in my 30 year old car to ato style and i need some quality female quick disconnect crimp terminals that have heat shrink built in. below is a shot of the new panel i am installing. anyone have a good source for them? i want a high quality piece as i don't plan on doing this again.

old panel

new panel

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no kidding? so you have a lot of boat stores in florida? not quite so many in ohio, and i already tried the two "local" places.

·
Registered
49 Posts
no kidding? so you have a lot of boat stores in florida? not quite so many in ohio, and i already tried the two "local" places.
Really???? No water around there??? You must get very thirsty.... How stupid of me to assume that a state that borders the tenth largest lake in the world might have a marine store. My bad. If you want help, don't be a douche (wait, that would require water, which you don't seem to have). If you want heat shrink crimp ons, do a Google search for marine supply. Maybe there's one you don't know about. Or maybe you could order them from Overton's or West Marine. You do have mailboxes in Ohio, don't you? Cuz we have those in Florida, too.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Really???? No water around there??? You must get very thirsty.... How stupid of me to assume that a state that borders the tenth largest lake in the world might have a marine store. My bad. If you want help, don't be a douche (wait, that would require water, which you don't seem to have). If you want heat shrink crimp ons, do a Google search for marine supply. Maybe there's one you don't know about. Or maybe you could order them from Overton's or West Marine. You do have mailboxes in Ohio, don't you? Cuz we have those in Florida, too.
x2...Exactly......:beerchug:

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
just what this board needs, another ******* newb. are you so stupid as to think i haven't looked online already? there are tons of places that sell them but exactly how do you tell the quality of a crimp terminal from a picture? that's why i asked if anyone had a trusted source for a quality product.

Interesting....maybe you should look at option #2, which is "search the internet".....:eek:
still bitter about being called out for starting a bidding war on your speakers? thought so. get a life.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
still bitter about being called out for starting a bidding war on your speakers? thought so. get a life.

Still bitter:confused:.....I sold them for a lot more than you were willing to offer....so I would call it a win win for me....nice try.....:z:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hey Nineball, I'm going to assume that the sarcastic post was from a combination of wanting to finish the project and frustration from not finding what you need, so I'm going to try to help you out. Since I have a plethora of marine stores here in FL, I'll offer to pick up what you need and send it to you. Let me know what you need (qty, wire gauge size, terminal type, etc.) and I'll go price it out for you. We can work from there. I've been there many times myself and I feel your pain. Let me know.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Still bitter:confused:.....I sold them for a lot more than you were willing to offer....so I would call it a win win for me....nice try.....:z:

of course you did. no really, we all believe you. honestly. we do.

Hey Nineball, I'm going to assume that the sarcastic post was from a combination of wanting to finish the project and frustration from not finding what you need, so I'm going to try to help you out. Since I have a plethora of marine stores here in FL, I'll offer to pick up what you need and send it to you. Let me know what you need (qty, wire gauge size, terminal type, etc.) and I'll go price it out for you. We can work from there. I've been there many times myself and I feel your pain. Let me know.

thanks for the offer. i already have a few samples being sent to me from a few different online retailers but the main problem with ordering online is that everyone wants to sell them in 100 count minimums (some even 1000) and that is more than double what i need. i want to see what they have to offer as i really need a quality item, not just any old crimp terminal.

i don't mind spending the extra for a quality piece, in fact i prefer it. i could buy a really nice new brand car for what i will have into this one when all is said and done, but that isn't the point. i like restoring old cars to their prime (and better) and it's much cheaper to buy the right part the first time, especially when it comes to electronic connections.

fwiw i will need 40 or so 14-16g and 10 or so 10-12g female quick disconnect terminals, 0.25 x 0.030-32, heat shrink built in, connect exposed, like this:

·
Registered
49 Posts
just what this board needs, another ******* newb. are you so stupid as to think i haven't looked online already? there are tons of places that sell them but exactly how do you tell the quality of a crimp terminal from a picture? that's why i asked if anyone had a trusted source for a quality product.
Hmmm..... You wrote this while I was writiing my last post. FWIW..... I may be a "newb" to this board, but I have a BS in Electrical Engineering and a BS is Optical Engineering. I design and build military fiber optic systems that I can't even tell my own mother about. I think I can help find you some fairly decent heat shrink crimp connectors. My offer still stands. Take it or leave it. I'm not going to get in to a pissing contest on a stereo forum over it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Again, we're typing at the same time! What I do on the boat is use the heat shrink crimp terms, and then use regular heat shrink on top of that. The heat shrink on the terminals doesn't always seal as tight as I would like, so the addition of the regular, cheap tubing gives that extra confidence. The metal on a marine terminal is usually stainless, so no worries there. Just sometimes lacking in the amount that the heat shrink part actually shrinks. If you want even more back-up, squirt a little dielectric grease in to the terminal before you crimp/shrink, and put some on the end of the terminal at the connection point. All very cheap insurance, but guaranteed to never corode and it will def outlast whatever it is connected to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
fwiw i will need 40 or so 14-16g and 10 or so 10-12g female quick disconnect terminals, 0.25 x 0.030-32, heat shrink built in, connect exposed, like this:
I'll try to get to the marine store by the weekend and see what they have. PM me an email and I can send pics of the terminals and prices. No matter what brand you go with, I would still highly recommend doing as I described above if you are looking for a no-worry connection. Heat shrink tubing and di-electric grease can be found at any Radio Shack for cheap (maybe $10 for what you need). If I remember correctly, the shrink terms go for roughly $.75 to $1.00 a piece (sold in sets of 5) at the marine store, but I'll like I said, I'll send pics for you to check out.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i've got plenty of grease and heat shrink, i was just hoping to avoid cutting 80-100 pieces which is why i was looking for an all-in-one solution. even though the car will never see rain a double layer isn't a bad idea. i don't want just regular heat shrink, i want the kind that has the glue built in to make a solid seal. i used it for all the wiring in the car and it was great.

$0.75-1.00 is about the same rate as online, unless i buy in bulk. if nothing that comes in the next week is to my standards i will be in touch. i have 5 or so companies sending me samples after a few hours browsing around today.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i don't want just regular heat shrink, i want the kind that has the glue built in to make a solid seal
I hear ya. That's hard to find. I've used it in butt connectors but never found it in spades.

if nothing that comes in the next week is to my standards i will be in touch
Let me know. Hard for me to get to the marina during the week, long hours at work (yes, I am partly responsible for the cost over-runs/delays with the JSF fighter....sorry!) but weekends are easy.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I haven't used this particular supplier,
but the product (dual-wall polyolefin)
is something I regularly use.

Contact Us : Expandable Sleeving : BuyHeatShrink.com : Clear Heat Shrink Tubing

This site is for an Ohio-based company:
AC Receptacles, Cable Assemblies, EMI Power Line Filters, AC Fans, DC, Fans, Fan Accessories, Shrink Tubing, Power Cords, Wiring Devices, Power Supplies, Circuit Breakers, Thermal Circuit Breakers, International Procurement Services

It only addresses half of the OP's inquiry, but it seems that
ChrisW21 has a good offer presented with SS terminals.

Come on, this is DIYMA, how difficult is it to cut up some heat-shrink?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts