DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to notice something a little odd and I hope it's all in my head.

My mids are 8ohm and I'm running them off of a JL HD600/4 with an MS8 feeding the amp. What I seem to notice is that sometimes the mids are too loud on the same source material without changing any settings. This only happens on an ignition cycle. Once they're too loud, they're too loud until the amp is shut off. The next cycle they may or may not be too loud. At first I was trying to fix with eq and then I realized it was a level issue, not an eq issue and somewhat inconsistent. The 4ohm midbass are run off of the same amp and no problems. The tweeters are run off of the McIntosh so no issues there.

·
Registered
165 Posts
this is the 3rd time i've heard of a jl hd 600/4 doing something weird.

I "fixed" one for a guy it would randomly start making ignition type noises in all of its channels (but not fron the same channels at any givne time) engine on or engine off..... wtf right

Narrowed it down to that amp; put it on my bench; ran throught he pots/switches; blew it out could not reproduce the issue. Gave it back and the guys happy with it but he nor I trust it anymore. It almost blew up his ID horns the noise was so loud!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well so far mine has been very good. I'm not blaming the amp because JL doesn't even rate it for 8ohms. I may try switching the mids and midbass just to make sure the "problem" follows the mids.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have a HD 600/4 powering my 8ohm HLCDs.
It seems that the RIPS does something weird so that the horns play like "underpowered".

Maybe i have to bridge the channels!

Barney

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just had another experience. Did a new tune on the MS8 and it sounded great. I listened for about 30 minutes and then went inside. A few minutes ago I went out to get food and the stage was terrible, the passenger's side was bright and louder than the driver's side. Using the balance I could get it reasonable but stage was still terrible. After looking at it, 6 of the 7 fronts are fine but the passenger side midrange is louder than the rest by a large margin. I did a few ignition cycles and no change. Everything was fine until the power was cut and then restarted. I'm wondering if this is RIPS related. Maybe the passenger mid was at a lower power level when I did the calibration and the MS8 compensated and now it's way too loud... Going to recalibrate in the morning and see what happens.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I just had another experience. Did a new tune on the MS8 and it sounded great. I listened for about 30 minutes and then went inside. A few minutes ago I went out to get food and the stage was terrible, the passenger's side was bright and louder than the driver's side. Using the balance I could get it reasonable but stage was still terrible. After looking at it, 6 of the 7 fronts are fine but the passenger side midrange is louder than the rest by a large margin. I did a few ignition cycles and no change. Everything was fine until the power was cut and then restarted. I'm wondering if this is RIPS related. Maybe the passenger mid was at a lower power level when I did the calibration and the MS8 compensated and now it's way too loud... Going to recalibrate in the morning and see what happens.
Well, ditch the amp or buy those 430's and never worry again...lol! (Are you sure it is not a MS8 problem?)

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, ditch the amp or buy those 430's and never worry again...lol! (Are you sure it is not a MS8 problem?)
Oh I'm definitely getting the 430s just waiting for the funds to arrive. Very, very soon.

·
Registered
12,053 Posts
if you look at the thread in the HLCD forum that barney moe started. he has ID horns and they are acting very weird on a rip amplifier. seems RIPS does not behave at 8 ohms or just doesnt like horns.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would really like to know before powering up the 900/5 for the first time since my tweeters are also 8ohm and that's what it would be powering. I'm sure it would be worth more if it has never seen power.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Just lowers the max rail voltage right?
well it changes the RAIL VOLTAGE period, but I in order to do so it would have to modify the gain structure, which I believe it may do...

I have a link on my lappy, I brought it with me today... lemme go over to that..

·
Registered
17,149 Posts

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,287 Posts
Man I love my big a/b amp with old technology inside:)Sorry, had to say it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thanks for the link chad!

This means that the gain never changes, only the possible spl because of the higher ouput...
But i still cant imagine where´s my or Buicks "pilot error"

Barney

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm curious what I could have done to cause this. It worked perfectly, sounded great. Then I turned the car off, started it an hour later and had the problems.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts