DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased some speakers and a sub from my local audio store for a pretty decent price. I found them on ebay for cheaper, but I wanted them now so I payed $80 for a pair of 6x9s and a pair of 6.5s. The sub I got for $75 with a box. The brand is called Samurai, with no other markings indicating country of origin or anything else. They sound very good and seem to be a pretty decent build quality. Before I bought them, I looked online to see if there were any reviews. The only one I could find that was someone who purchased them said that they worked quite well and handled their RMS quite well (6x9s are 250w each, 6.5s are 175w each, and the sub is 600w.) I purchased them the next day when I went back and they said that Samurai speakers were pretty good.

After installing them with a new deck, I was quite impressed. My original stock deck sounded a lot better with them but had no output for the sub amp. I can crank the volume up quite high without any distortion and the music sounds crystal clear compared to my old stock speakers. The sub is rated down to 50Hz, and when I tested it, it was completely able to handle it, even a little further down. The 6x9s and 6.5s produce great sound also. They can produce some of the highest notes that I've ever heard out of my van. All of the mids and highs came out super clearly. This is when I decided to do some more research and find out what other speakers Samurai has.

After a couple days of looking, I couldn't find anything on Samurai car speakers. There were many articles on Samurai 518 home theater speakers that were being sold out of white vans for a huge markup, but these didn't seem like that. The scam speakers were really bad and sounded horrible with a bad build quality from what people said. The Samurai car speakers I had gotten are pretty good on the build quality and sound really good. I even got them at a reasonable price for a store.

Has anyone heard of this brand or have any experience with it? I have to say that being a brand that doesn't show up anywhere online except for a couple of people selling them on ebay they sound amazing. I'm currently upgrading to an amp that can supply 4x250w and 1x650w to power all the speakers properly since the sub is on a really old 600w amp, but want to find out as much as possible about this brand.

My personal opinion is that they are great entry level speakers if not better. I payed twice as much as on ebay for the 4 main speakers, but I didn't want to wait a couple weeks. Even at $80 for the main speakers, they have great sound for the money. I haven't been able to find the sub online anywhere yet, but I got it for a discount with the box for $75. It may not rattle the windows across the street, but it definitely produces that chest numbing thump I was looking for.

All in all, these speakers really impressed me for a completely unknown brand. Having a 2004 Sienna Le makes for great acoustics also. I have a pair of powerbass 3" speakers up in the dashboard that are in series with the 6x9s in the front doors. and they sound great too. Highs are extremely sharp and clear while not being too piercing unless you turn it up, and even then it stays quite clear. The mids are excellent, providing a massive boost to the body of every song. The lows are all through the sub, and they definitely have the vibrations I want. The only problem is having a brand I like and can't find anything out on.

Pics are of the boxes and the subwoofer. The other 4 speakers are already installed in my van.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I would suspect these are the same brand as those sold out of the white van. I found 5 pair of these available for $60... If a product like this can be sold for $12.50 a piece from a "retailer" then they must have bought it for $6, if they bought it for $6 it must have been made for $2. I'm not sure I want anything to do with that.

I'm glad they aren't the worst thing you ever heard.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I bet they really slice up the music..

Where in Oregon do you live because you need some friends that are into car audio..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bet they really slice up the music..

Where in Oregon do you live because you need some friends that are into car audio..
Actually, they sound quite nice and don't sound bad at all until I turn the music up past where it hurts my ears. The shop even has the 6x9s set up there to test them against other speakers, and they sound really close to most other speakers, even name brand. I know they're definitely not the best, but for the ebay price at least I've found they work well. Most people would probably pay the lower price and wait, especially since these are more budget speakers than anything.

And I'm in central southern Oregon, so it's either get it online and wait forever for it to come in or buy it in a shop, and I needed something to do that day. Of course I payed extra getting it from a shop, but that was to get them that day. I do realize that these probably are white van speakers, but they sound a lot better than what people were saying the Samurai 518 in-home theater speakers sounded like. Unless they suddenly break on me, I actually like these speakers, and next time I'll wait for them to ship in if I go for budget speakers again.

The biggest thing I'm worried about is if anyone else has had any negative experiences with these speakers and had them break quickly. I've only come across a couple reviews, only one of substantial volume, and they all were fairly positive on them. It's only been a week and a half that I've had them, and I'm hooking up a 5 channel amp to power all the speakers, so I will post the results of that and see if they can handle it. So far they've been able to handle the constant Pandora I mainly use them for perfectly and even has impressed some friends when they select songs to test.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just received my new amp. It's a 3000w max 4x250w 4ohm 1x650w 4 ohm amp that I'll be using to power all the speakers in my van. This will be the true test as to whether they can handle it or not.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Wow. That sounds like an incredible and very expensive amp. If it is also budget priced what is the brand and model of this wonderful amp?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It's a Lanzar htg558bt. Only cost around 170 for 2 day shipping. 5 channel 300w max, but rms for all 4 ohm speakers is around 1650. Another budget piece I decided to add on. It has Bluetooth built in, but the only problem with the entire system, besides overheating if not properly ventilated, is that the bt sometimes doesn't work. That's not a problem since I have it hooked up to my stereo.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Im sure that will be plenty of power. I would recommend searching google for this same product. Also search for fuse rating vs wattage. The general rule of thumb is amps x volts = watts. There is 90amps available, max 14.4v... That's roughly the max wattage it can output before the fuse blows.

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I don't think too highly of anything by Lanzar, except maybe the optidrive line. Regardless, I wish you luck and hope to not hear back from you in a matter of weeks to months saying something is now bad.

Fuses don't blow upon exceeding the exact amperage rating of the fuse, they can handle short demands of amperage in excess of their ratings to some degree. I don't recall what percentage it is one needs to exceed the amperage rating by, but I could see a 30AMP fuse allowing 35ish AMPS through it.

Granted, that amp isn't likely to demand 90AMPS at any point during it's ownership by you. Call me a skeptic, but I don't see it ever producing more than 1/3 of it's rated output.

I suspect around [email protected] ohms plus around [email protected] ohms

Again, I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well luck has prevailed. With a new Kenwood stereo that has 3 rca outputs and the amp connected to all 4 main speakers and the sub, the sound quality and loudness has gone up dramatically. It doesn't sound right at all at the moment because the knobs on the amp all came set to max settings. I'm taking it in to the car audio shop in town tomorrow to learn about the different settings and learn how to properly set up the new stereo. All in all, once I get it properly tuned tomorrow I'm pretty sure the overall quality of the speakers will increase dramatically.

Having the gain all the way up out of the box made the speakers sound crappy, but turning all of them down to about half gave the best sound I've heard from my van. Since I'm still pretty new to this, I don't have the subwoofer thumping like it used to with the old amp, but I know that after tomorrow with talking to the audio shop and having him show me how to tune it, it will sound absolutely incredible for a budget system.

I know there are a lot of people that are skeptical about this brand since it really seems like a white van scam, but I personally have to say that if you get the 2 6x9s and 2 6 1/2s on ebay or another site for $55, they are a really good deal for a beginner kit. The audio store owner says he has carried this brand for at least a year, and almost everyone who has purchased them really likes them. He said the few that don't like them had ones that were defective out of the box. The one thing I cannot attest to is how long you can use them for at around their peak RMS. I have to say they can take a decent bit more than expected before they begin to distort or have any problems at all. I'd say if you think they may or may not be good, just order the set on ebay for $55, try it out, and if you don't like it, return the set. All I know about where they were made is in China, but its either hit or miss with most things like that over there, and I think that Samurai car audio speakers are somewhat of a hit.

·
Listener of Music
2,919 Posts
I'll be honest I don't like when threads get derailed like this. This is not what we are here for. He came on here with experience of actually hearing the product and gave a review. Then asked if anyone has heard of the brand and could give feedback based on personal experience. All he got was no answers to his question and bullshit feedback from people that have no idea about the stuff he has. Your basically telling a new guy that his opinion which was based on experience, is crap because he has low cost gear that no one has heard of. This is what scares new people from these sites and in extreme circumstances from car audio altogether.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Setting Gains:

Intro:
  • Setting amplifier gains can be as complicated as using an oscilloscope with a dummy load or simply using a $10 digital multimeter (DMM) and Ohm’s Law. A scope will let you know when the output signal is clipping (distorting). The DMM method assumes you know at what voltage for a given load the output signal will clip. I will discuss the latter.
  • Since most (brand-name) amplifiers will do their rated, continuous power per spec, all you need is to connect the multimeter to the speaker output of the amplifier and raise the gain until you achieve the required output voltage while playing a tone through your cd player
    • Ohm’s law is used to determine amplifier output voltage. An online calculator can be found here: Ohm's Law Calculator
    • Use an attenuated tone, such as -10dB or -5dB as this will allow additional volume for ‘quiet’ tracks. 0dB tones may be used in lieu of attenuated tones IF you listen to heavily compressed music.
    • Tones can be downloaded here: Realm of Excursion
  • The tone should be in the bandpass of what you are setting the gain for. For example:
    • If you are setting subwoofer amp gains, use a 40hz tone.
    • If you are setting midrange amp gains, use a 1khz tone.
Setting gains with a DMM:
  • Here is a quick guide to properly setting your system gains using nothing more than a DMM.
  • Reset all your cd player DSP features, balance, fader, etc to ‘default’.
  • Disconnect all speakers to keep from damaging them (and your hearing).
  • We will assume your cd player puts out clean, undistorted signal at near maximum. Play your tone (-10dB suggested) and increase the headunit volume to a click or two below max.
  • Knowing the amps’ rated power at a given load (ohm) obtained from manufacturer’s spec (assuming they are a reputable brand), use Ohm’s law to determine voltage needed.
  • For example, with a 4 ohm load and 100wRMS rating, the output voltage should be 20VRMS.
  • Set the DMM to “VAC”, which is AC Voltage.
  • Connect the leads of the DMM to the amp’s appropriate speaker output and increase the amp gain until you achieve this voltage
  • Repeat for each channel.
You’ve now set up your system to maximize output and performance with a wide variety of music.​
Don't trust that shop. Do it yourself. If your shop sells that kind of equipment they are not top notch. There is only one way better than this to set gains, that is with an oscilloscope which I can pretty much guarantee they don't have. This info is only valid if you know the actual ratings of your amp not the inflated B.S. they advertise. The math shows roughly 1300 watts peak by the fuse ratings. Cut that in half for the RMS ratings. That's 650 watts rms. The manufacturer rated it 250x4 plus 650x1. Let's assume the ratio is right.. 650 actual divided by 1650 inflated...39% of inflated rating. Or roughly 95x4 plus 250x1, use this to set gains. Play it safe with no bass boost and use crossovers in your head unit if possible. If it still sounds distorted I would try setting gains calculated based on 50 or 60 watts x 4. That will still be plenty of power. I assure you.

Edit: Also probably safer to use a 3/4 volume setting on the head unit than max volume, especially if it is lower line kenwood.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'll be honest I don't like when threads get derailed like this. This is not what we are here for. He came on here with experience of actually hearing the product and gave a review. Then asked if anyone has heard of the brand and could give feedback based on personal experience. All he got was no answers to his question and bullshit feedback from people that have no idea about the stuff he has. Your basically telling a new guy that his opinion which was based on experience, is crap because he has low cost gear that no one has heard of. This is what scares new people from these sites and in extreme circumstances from car audio altogether.
You're right. I agree and try not to be too hard on these guys. Flip side of the coin, this type of feedback is almost exactly how I learned. Just less through forums and more in real life.

Also, read your signature...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't trust that shop. Do it yourself. If your shop sells that kind of equipment they are not top notch. There is only one way better than this to set gains, that is with an oscilloscope which I can pretty much guarantee they don't have. This info is only valid if you know the actual ratings of your amp not the inflated B.S. they advertise. The math shows roughly 1300 watts peak by the fuse ratings. Cut that in half for the RMS ratings. That's 650 watts rms. The manufacturer rated it 250x4 plus 650x1. Let's assume the ratio is right.. 650 actual divided by 1650 inflated...39% of inflated rating. Or roughly 95x4 plus 250x1, use this to set gains. Play it safe with no bass boost and use crossovers in your head unit if possible. If it still sounds distorted I would try setting gains calculated based on 50 or 60 watts x 4. That will still be plenty of power. I assure you.

Edit: Also probably safer to use a 3/4 volume setting on the head unit than max volume, especially if it is lower line kenwood.
They have a lot of high end equipment for a fair price, even compared to online. I know the guy personally and he is very good at what he does. I bought the amp online myself on a budget, and the shop has a very good reputation in town. Also I learn easier if someone directly shows me instead of instructions online.

Update on the speakers/amp:

So I'm now sitting on a Kenwood stereo with 3 outputs because the amp required 3 separate rca audio connections. Highs, mids, and lows from what I read on the labeling. I connected everything up and tested it out. Immediately on the drop of a good song all the speakers just dipped down in volume. I realized that the gain was factory set to max on all the settings. I turned all of them down a reasonable amount and now the main 4 channels of speakers all have even better sound and can go much, much louder without sounding bad and can even go higher without hurting my ears. The subwoofer suddenly came to life with the amp also. With the gain at about half, my friend and I had the perfect numbing vibration in our chests, completely making us flow to the rhythm of the song. Unfortunately, directly when I got the sound settings close to correct, my phone's volume up got stuck and absolutely blasted my van. In the 5 seconds it took me to get the volume back down, I realized that even at this horrific loudness, there was a lot of clarity. The speakers were pushing out extremely loud music with very good clarity. The amp had truly done its trick.

All in all, I have to say that the Samurai speakers have treated me extremely well, especially when paired with the proper amp. After purchasing the Lanzar HTG558BT, all the speakers completely came to life. Once I have everything fine tuned it will sound extremely good. It's so good right now that people stare as I drive down the street thinking "A minivan can sound like that???" So far I love these speakers, and need to figure out how to tune the amp, so the speakers sound a lot better. I'm just surprised that nobody has tried these speakers, especially since you can get 2 6x9s and 2 6 1/2s for $55. They can go on the stereo system for power, but after getting the Lanzar amp, I have to say these were meant to be powered by and amp. Tho still wanting to hear any negative stories about these speakers, cause they sound amazing to me and seem to be able to last many years to come.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
.. Kenwood stereo with 3 outputs
Front Rear and Subwoofer

..I realized that the gain was factory set to max on all the settings. I turned all of them down a reasonable amount
Go to https://www.mtx.com/testtones and download the 50Hz and the 1000Hz test tone and burn it to CD.

Then here Using test tones to set amplifier gain

.. It's so good right now that people stare as I drive down the street thinking "A minivan can sound like that???
It gets much better with time, if you have any problems let us know so we can help you..

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Front Rear and Subwoofer

Go to https://www.mtx.com/testtones and download the 50Hz and the 1000Hz test tone and burn it to CD.

Then here Using test tones to set amplifier gain

It gets much better with time, if you have any problems let us know so we can help you..
Thanks for the help. Being new to the car audio game is a lot of learning, but I've been having fun doing this. Once I learn how to properly tune the amp and stereo the speakers will definitely sound amazing.

I really hope that someone else tries at least the 4 pack of speakers for $55 so I can have someone else's opinion on them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So final update on the Samurai speakers.

After upgrading to a Kenwood KDC-BT362U stereo, a Lanzar HTG558BT amp, and 4 AWG wire with a 100 amp circuit breaker, The speakers sound the best they ever have.The distortion at high volume that I was hearing before was only from the other stereo I had in before. I can absolutely push the volume way above having my ears hurt and the sound is crystal clear (thank god the stereo came with a remote I can use from 30 feet away.) The subwoofer definitely needed the upgraded amp too, since before it would barely make your chest vibrate, now it feels like an earthquake in the vehicle. Got the amp properly tuned up and it feeds the speakers like a beast. I can tell that my normal high listening volume that I'm comfortable at is barely pushing any of the components. These Samurai speakers can get really loud with the right amp.

All in all, I would have to say that Samurai speakers are great entry level speakers. For only ~$55, you can get a pair of 6x9s and a pair of 6 1/2s online with free shipping. Looks like the subwoofer is only around $30 online, then adding a box makes it $60-70 total. For just barely over $100, I would have to say this combo of speakers will truly be a great first upgrade. Paired with an amp is where they truly shine tho, as I have to be very careful when playing around with and tuning my system, because my neighbors from 3 houses down will ask me to turn it down. I would give these speakers a 4/5 star rating only because the brand is completely unknown and there is no way to contact the manufacturer. They look and sound like a pretty well designed set of speakers, and look like they will last a long time. I doubt that I will be back here anytime soon posting anything bad about them, but I will if anything happens.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts