DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Im thinking I want to go back to point source loudspeakers to save some space (college student). These were used in an open baffle line array and recieved on the order of 1-2 watts a piece at maximum.

"Acoustic Research" brand
Specifications: *Power handling: 50 watts RMS/75 watts max *VCdia: 1" *Le: .77 mH *Impedance: 8 ohms *Re: 7.5 ohms *Frequency range: 40-4,500 Hz *Fs: 40 Hz *SPL: 85 dB 1W/1m *Vas: 1.57 cu. ft. *Qms: 5.07 *Qes: 1.41 *Qts: 1.10 *Xmax: 6.5 mm *Dimensions: Overall diameter: 6-5/8", Cutout diameter: 5-1/2", Mounting depth: 3-7/8".

From the specs you can see these are perfect for open baffle with a high QTS, or in a sealed box.

When I started using them I noticed the foam surrounds were very brittle. I added a bead of PVA glue around the surround so it wouldn't come off the frame, and two medium coats of "Modgepodge" on the cones and surrounds to protect them. I originally had 24 of them, but I was only able to save 20. Keep in mind the drivers have more control now (QTS was effectively lowered) since I applied the cone treatments (stiffer).

These have great extention down to about 50-60hz open baffle, with usable output down lower. I would reccomend crossing them over with a tweeter array around 3khz or lower and highpassing them around 80hz with a dedicated substage if you want to approach live levels open baffle.

Asking $95 USD plus shipping OBO for all twenty. Using something like the ApexJr. (apexjr.com) tweeter at 50 cents each would yeild a very affortable line array.

These aren't the best sounding speakers in the world. But since they are used in multiples, I got fairly acceptable sounding line arrays. Wonderful dynamics and a huge stage. Great for those who want to explore this option without spending hundreds!

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
interesting...

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will pictures help? Ill try to get some tonight..

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Got some pictures off my phone finally. Keep in mind that there are only 20 available. The other four are still mounted on the line arrays in the pictures. I have since thrown them out and was going to condense the line arrays to 5.5-6 feet tall (And less wide) but I decided against it.

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my eye on some amplifiers... so these may have to go soon. I paid 8 bucks each plus shipping, so thats 160 without shipping for the drivers. Taking a loss here!

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I've had some interest and questions about line arrays. If you send me your email address and can provide you with a paper on theory of line arrays. In addition, these are my recommendations on cabinet size:
Yes you will need something down low for home theater. Now for music, you will probably be ok unless you play music with a lot of information below 40-50hz.

I loaded up bass box 6 pro and the recommended .707 Q comes out to a cube a piece. Now thats pretty big for a 6 inch driver! It will dig down pretty low to 40hz and beyond but thats just silly.

I would recommend a total of 5-5.5 cuft. per cabinet. That will put you at a Qtc of 1.0 (~0.6 cubes each) for nine drivers per side. The F3 will be a very nice 55hz, so should make it super easy to cross over a dedicated sub. You can go a bit smaller and still be ok. Great thing is with barely any power going to each individual driver excursion will remain at around <2mm a piece.

Spacing the drivers 6.75 inches apart and nine drivers per cabinet (2 spares ) gets you at about 60 inches of line length. If you make the cabinets 6 feet tall and 12 inches cubed base you get 5.1 cubes using 3/4 inch MDF. Definitely recommend bracing them as much as you can.

Line arrays are indeed a lot of fun! If you have a lot of power on tap you can truly scare people! Lets put it this way, with 200 watts per side (just for the drivers) you are at 3.5mm of excursion. Thats only 20 watts per driver. You are sitting at 120db+ from 60hz up per side!!! Be very careful if you are running that much power! You are sitting right around live levels there

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Possible buyer has backed out... Make me an offer please

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
85 Plus shipping!!!

·
Registered