DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i removed the blowthrough from my truck and i wanna get the deadener off the floor, besides peeling and peeling and peeling, anybody got tricks or materials to remove the hard stuck leftover deadener goo?

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Acetone

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
That REALLY depends what it is made of. If it's asphalt, warm and peel. Clean up the brown residue with mineral spirits.

If the adhesive is butyl, you really want to remove as much as you can mechanically. Peel it off and then use a ball of adhesive to dab at and grab off the remaining butyl. Mineral spirits will clean up any residue, but you should be able to get to bare metal mechanically.

Acetone will strip paint and e-coat! Don't use a more aggressive solvent than you have to.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I use a citrus degreaser called DE Solvit. Cleans up ANY goo you care to name.
It's water soluble and smells much better than acetone/mineral spirits.
Use it all the time on hands, paint-work, range-hood, motorcycle's rear wheel,
and anything else that gets goo'd up.
There are similar products available in motorcycle shops and bicycle shops.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Acetone will eat some but not all paint. I do not think Mineral Spirits works well for butyl CLD at all - I have tried it. I've used Goof Off and that works better but still not all that well. I've seen recommendations that if I went even better removal, to use MEK, but I'm not willing to use that strong a solvent. Goof Off is very strong as-is. Even outside, I still wear a respirator when I use it.

So that having been said, mechanical methods would be my recommendation. If dry ice works well then go with that.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow didnt expect this much response on the topic... really appreciate it guys.
And i have a mixture of asphalt and butyl deadeners in thebed so its all useful info,
and the ben will be gatting bedlinered so paints not a worry

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I have to go with what Rudeboy suggested and just add that an adhesive remover like Goo Gone or the Zepp version works nice.

I like the Zepp version MUCH better since it doesn't smell like skunk the way Goo Gone does.

I used a gallon of it to strip the contact cement off a wood drum shell. I used the same technique as any adhesive removal.....focus on mechanically removing with the assist of heat first....then use the chemical assist.

You have to choose which spot will react more favorably to either the adhesive remover or the acetone.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Heat gun and utility scraper to remove bulk.
3m adhesive remover, spray on wait 15 mins..

3M

It smells nice, works better then benzine, acetone, naphtha and gasoline (*I have used them all).

The 3m stuff is even safe for food contact.

Once you try it, you will NEVER use anything else to remove the goo. (*it punks the **** out of 'goo gone'). I would use straight PCB with asbestos scrub pads if they worked better but they are not....funny how this environmentally and human safe product is leagues better.

~JH

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Heat gun and utility scraper to remove bulk.
3m adhesive remover, spray on wait 15 mins..

3M

It smells nice, works better then benzine, acetone, naphtha and gasoline (*I have used them all).

The 3m stuff is even safe for food contact.

Once you try it, you will NEVER use anything else to remove the goo. (*it punks the **** out of 'goo gone'). I would use straight PCB with asbestos scrub pads if they worked better but they are not....funny how this environmentally and human safe product is leagues better.

~JH
I gotta get me some of that 3M...Goo Gone smells like skunk piss.:mad:

·
Registered
384 Posts
how about dry ice? freeze it, smack it with a hammer and pick up the pieces.
+1 to this

My mate used dry ice and removed every inch of sound deadener in his car so he could lighten it for drifting.. Comes straight off with just a tap-ah tap-ah!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I use a citrus degreaser called DE Solvit. Cleans up ANY goo you care to name.
It's water soluble and smells much better than acetone/mineral spirits.
Use it all the time on hands, paint-work, range-hood, motorcycle's rear wheel,
and anything else that gets goo'd up.
There are similar products available in motorcycle shops and bicycle shops.
I haven't used it on sound deadening, but this is awesome stuff for anything from sticky labels to tar on paintwork.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.