DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of these, brand new. They are from a system years ago that was actively crossed over and they weren't used. I was hoping someone would know the xover point, slope, and impedance; and, if there is anything to prevent me from using them with some Peerless mids and tweeters I have, both 4 ohm, that would need ~3000-3500 xover point.

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
I'm no passive xover expert, but shouldn't you be able to find the values of the xover components and the layout of the board to determine the point/slope?

·
Super Moderator
5,229 Posts
Well, I would start by writing down the numbers on the components and how many of each. Also take a picture of the back of the circuit board. Then hopefully someone will chime in and tell you some values.

·
Registered
7,408 Posts
It's not designed for the speakers, you can use it, but whatever values you DO get, aren't going to help much, because it was designed around a different set of speakers...

It should work, but who knows what you'll end up with...

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
If the ohms of your speakers are exactly the same it should have the same xover points. However speakers have impedance which changes with frequency depending on how the driver is built. If it had the same Fs that would help, but it depends on the impedance at the xover point. You can try to get close and do frequency sweeps to see what you have. If the crossover has any attenuation or other adjustments to the sound in it, well you get what you have. I mean the original speakers might have had some dip/peak in the response they addressed that your new ones don't or not in same place, etc. If you learned how to build xovers and traced the circuit is likely you could adjust them or find out what you had. They are not that complex as you think and calculators for them are all over the net. It is harder than turning a dial on an active xover of course lol. If they are close and you have significant EQ power it may not be that big a deal, otherwise it will be hit and miss though they should not be terrible with similar drivers attached. Sometimes you can adjust for that say the tweeter is a little loud or quiet you might change the install to help. If the impedance is different it will change the xover frequency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts