DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I was getting ready to order my Lotus Refs, when I was talking to someone "in the know" about them and was suggested the Extremis was actually a better driver. Can anyone comment on this. I have used the Kodas before which were very capable for what they were, but no experience with the Extremis.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
"Better" ... depends on how you look at it. They're certainly nice drivers, but I wouldn't flat out say that they're better in every aspect.

I would purchase one myself and give you all a review, but the mounting depth renders it all but unusable for most of us. Of course if someone wants to send me one, I'll be happy to give it a spin :)

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Guess I'll have to order up a set to send your way then. Would be nice to know how they'll stack against the Lotus, Revs, and Excels. According to Dan, that was the design purpose; to rival them in all aspects while providing a lower price tag. Adire has yet to disappoint me, but I know Revs and they've been my favorite so far as long as the application has been correct.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello ,
Today i made a brief non scientific comparison between the Extremis and
koda6 in car.
I placed the Extremis in one door and koda in the other and this is what i found,
The Extremis wont go into a koda baffle hole :D ,it needed a 12mm spacer ring on top of the existing baffle , I riged up an old soundstream ref 300 , and set the P1r 50 hz high and full range there on up ,stuck in whatever came to hand ,(Kate Bush ever for ever) , the extremis midrange was noticeably clearer and more detailed , but the thunderous midbass i was expecting did'nt really materialise ,and in general the kodas had punchier lower bass , i realise there was a power difference but i did try to compensate by adjusting the volume .
I then set about taping up the box the Extremis came in to simulate a sealed enclosure , box is aprox 10 liters , installed the extremis and placed in the kicks , to my ears this made a huge difference , midbass
punchier ,clearer , after listing to a few tracks on Sinatra's hits ( dont llaugh ,great midbass on some tracks) , fading back to the koda it seemed to be lacking in most areas ,especially the upper midrange where the Extremis excells. btw the power i was giving them (aprox 50w) seemed adaquate judging by the way the cone moved , and was loud as id ever need ,
Tried something similar last week with CSS125 , I compared it to a Hertz HM1000, a fairly regular car speaker , both were placed in cardboard boxes
:roll: and positioned in the kicks , the CSS destroyed the Hertz on just about every level but the CSS midbass was astounding for one so small , real bass just like as if my kodas were running .
I would send them to np for proper testing .... but im in Europe :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I installed my extremis's a couple days ago. I have absolutely no complaints. They play low with ease and don't break up much in upper frequencies. Right now they are getting about 50 watts apeice. I will try them with 100 later this week, to see what kind of differnce the extra power makes.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Drumah said:
I installed my extremis's a couple days ago. I have absolutely no complaints. They play low with ease and don't break up much in upper frequencies. Right now they are getting about 50 watts apeice. I will try them with 100 later this week, to see what kind of differnce the extra power makes.

Wha's the application, crossover points/slope?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Well, right now since my car sucks, I have them in the doors (fully sealed) Eventually I would like to try them as either sealed in kicks, or as a midbass only 3 way setup.

I am using an Eclipse 8053 for the crossover. Right now I am liking them at 6 db slopes at 80 hz and 2 khz. I have a cal25 tweeter on a 24 db slope at 2.5khz. I will also try a set of LPG's that I just picked up to see which one I like better. These are easily the best mids I have heard in a car.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.