DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I built a custom enclosure for a Morel ultimo 10. It is sealed and is a firm resin lined .887 cu ft. Well I am switching to a JL 10W6v2. It calls for .625 net (.693 gross). Do you guys think this will be an issue? I can add more resin to the enclosure and reduce the cu ft a little, but we can all agree that is a **** load of resin to add to an enclosure, lol.

Thanks!

Jesse

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
You will be fine. It will actually sound better in the larger enclosure. The small enclosure they recommend helps to raise the power handling of the woofer. It will work fine!

BTW, what are you trying to accomplish by making this switch. Sq will suffer.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Just as Jerry said, the larger box is a good thing on all fronts.

I'm very interested in your review. I personally love the JL subs and I think they can compete with anything. I've never heard the Morel but from what I gather on here the JL might have a little more low end. That might be good or it might be bad, I guess it depends on your setup. I've run a lot of them and had the 12W6s for 6 years. They definitely like a larger than factory recommended box. I had my W6s in a 1.7' box (each) and it sounded so much better than the factory recommended 1.25' box. I might suggest polyfill to make it seem even larger.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I agree ^^^ My 10W6 sounded much better when I went from a 0.65 to 0.80 enclosure.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
If you like alot of low end the bigger box is gonna be a great thing for you.
Im running a w6 now ported at 2.5 with about 1200 watts on tap not that it ever sees that much but its still there.
I love it dont know what it will take to get me to ever change.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You will be fine. It will actually sound better in the larger enclosure. The small enclosure they recommend helps to raise the power handling of the woofer. It will work fine!

BTW, what are you trying to accomplish by making this switch. Sq will suffer.
I am trying to accomplish an SQ setup. If anything I can add a quart or resin and bring it to approx .85, or I can add a half gallon and bring it to .80.

I'm very interested in your review. I personally love the JL subs and I think they can compete with anything. I've never heard the Morel but from what I gather on here the JL might have a little more low end. That might be good or it might be bad, I guess it depends on your setup. I've run a lot of them and had the 12W6s for 6 years. They definitely like a larger than factory recommended box. I had my W6s in a 1.7' box (each) and it sounded so much better than the factory recommended 1.25' box. I might suggest polyfill to make it seem even larger.
How was yours for SQ?

I agree ^^^ My 10W6 sounded much better when I went from a 0.65 to 0.80 enclosure.
Better for Bass or SQ or over all?

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I am trying to accomplish an SQ setup. If anything I can add a quart or resin and bring it to approx .85, or I can add a half gallon and bring it to .80.

How was yours for SQ?

Mine were great for SQ, that's why I ran them for so long. I always have to try different things and I always listened to as many different systems as I could in order to find something better. I ended up just using the same 12W6s in sealed, ported, bandpass, and finally infinite baffle. IB sounded the best but they sounded good in every setup. The bandpass was very musical and efficient.

The larger box should be better for low end and SQ. When I went larger, not only did I gain low end, the bass actually seemed "tighter". For many years I did not understand why people wanted a system that would go super low on music. After owning a system that will go extremely low (especially the current one) I realize I was missing out on impact for all of these years. Some of the sounds you can barely hear still give an energy and impact to the system. I believe the ability to go low is a part of a good SQ system. If you're worried about losing top end, don't. Chances are it will not be hurt at all.

I go against the grain a little and run my subs up anywhere from 80-150hz. The 12W6 that I ran really didn't want to go past 90hz but that didn't really change with the larger box. One thing to think about, I ran mine infinite baffle, basically a 16' box and that was the best the W6s ever sounded whether it was low end or the tight punchy bass.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I doubt you could actually make it sound bad with too large of a box.... anyone?

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I want to say overall. Sound stage was awesome with the smaller enclosure, but had zero low output, and rarely got decently loud. Increasing the enclosure size kept the great sound stage, but added that extra "oomph" I was looking for.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I ran a 10w6v2 and switched to the Ultimo... MUCH better woofer imo. I don't feel that the w6 had more low end either. The Ultimo dug deeper and sounded cleaner while doing it. The 10w6v2 is a nice woofer but I truly feel you're taking a step backwards.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I ran a 10w6v2 and switched to the Ultimo... MUCH better woofer imo. I don't feel that the w6 had more low end either. The Ultimo dug deeper and sounded cleaner while doing it. The 10w6v2 is a nice woofer but I truly feel you're taking a step backwards.
^^ Agreed. Try the Ultimo in a larger box. Is it the Ultimo or Ultimo SC? How much power are you feeding it? What amp are you using on it?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well If I ever switch to the Ultimo I have the exact enclosure for it. :cool: I actually bought and paid for the Ultimo, NOT the SC, but **** happened and my money was refunded. I jumped online and picked up the JL for about 1/3 of the cost of the Ultimo. It may be a step backwards, but even if it is only 1/3 of a step backwards I think I may still be on top ;)

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Well If I ever switch to the Ultimo I have the exact enclosure for it. :cool: I actually bought and paid for the Ultimo, NOT the SC, but **** happened and my money was refunded. I jumped online and picked up the JL for about 1/3 of the cost of the Ultimo. It may be a step backwards, but even if it is only 1/3 of a step backwards I think I may still be on top ;)
Should have considered the SC. It is 1/2 the cost of the Ultimo with all the benefits. Most reviews on here tend to show the sound difference between the Ultimo SC and Ultimo to be minimal to non-existent.

But now that you have the JL coming, you should be fine with your box and all.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
What size box did you have the W6 in?

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
What size box did you have the W6 in?
I've had 2 10w6v2 subs... One was in the factory prowedge which sounded nice. The other was in a custom .9 cuft enclosure that I built out of 1" mdf. It's a fantastic woofer, don't get me wrong... I just feel that the Ultimo bests it in pretty much every way.

·
Registered
3,343 Posts

Older or newer w6s? What kind of power do they like for good performance?

Thank you.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've got 2 10W6v2's in ~.75 cu.ft. each. They filled with polyfill as well. I love them! Very musical, blend in with my mids great, and can really get low with authority in my setup. I have had no complaints with mine. As everyone has said, I prefer them in a slightly larger box. I had 1 10W6v2 in their prowedge .625 cu.ft. box and didn't like it as much. When I upgraded to 2 and made my own, I increased the size and added polyfill. I thought it added a bit more clarity to it as well. No complaints from me, but I haven't heard the Morel's.. Oh, and do yourself a favor and just add a few blocks of 2x4's in your box if you'd like to reduce your volume. MUCH less expensive than wasting resin! You could either glue or resin the blocks themselves to the inside somewhere. Hope that helps. But as others have said, you should be fine with volume.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got 2 10W6v2's in ~.75 cu.ft. each. They filled with polyfill as well. I love them! Very musical, blend in with my mids great, and can really get low with authority in my setup. I have had no complaints with mine. As everyone has said, I prefer them in a slightly larger box. I had 1 10W6v2 in their prowedge .625 cu.ft. box and didn't like it as much. When I upgraded to 2 and made my own, I increased the size and added polyfill. I thought it added a bit more clarity to it as well. No complaints from me, but I haven't heard the Morel's.. Oh, and do yourself a favor and just add a few blocks of 2x4's in your box if you'd like to reduce your volume. MUCH less expensive than wasting resin! You could either glue or resin the blocks themselves to the inside somewhere. Hope that helps. But as others have said, you should be fine with volume.
I will stick with the .88 cu ft and hope for the best. Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Older or newer w6s? What kind of power do they like for good performance?

Thank you.
Newer (v2). Mine have been all over the place. I've pushed 700w each in the factory sized sealed box. Same with the ported box. I lowered the power a little for the larger sealed box, it just didn't require as much power. The bandpass was very efficient. I don't know what the actual power was but I cut the gains from 3/4 of the way to just under halfway in order to match the front stage. Last, I went infinite baffle and barely had the gain 1/8-1/4 of the way up. I would guess 100-150w for the infinite baffle setup and it had the same or better low end as the sealed box at 700w.

If you're doing the standard sealed box, they will take a clean 600w easily and I've seen people push them a bit more than that. I would go with a lot of power even if you don't push them real hard. It's nice to have the power available for transients. It will help with SQ.

·
Registered
226 Posts
No prob, let us know what you think once you've got everything up and running!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts