DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 13w7AE, and shall i also say i ordered it authorized from a very reasonable dealer. I have been running 2 Hertz HX300's on my rear deck in the infinite baffle position for a few months and fell in love with the Infinite Baffle configuration. The only reason I picked up a 13w7AE was out of curiosity and pure admiration of the design of the w7, and my brother wanted to buy my Hertz woofers. I will be mounting the single 13w7AE behind the back seats with a 1.5" baffle (two .75" mdf sheets).

Does anyone have any experience with the w7 woofers in the IB configuration? I tried searching and only have read about the w6's performing very nicely in IB.

Jon

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I ran a 12W6 in IB, sounded amazing. Much better than when I had it sealed, ported, or bandpassed. I loved that setup.

Can't say if the W7 will sound good or not. Back when I did the W6 I got an e-mail straight from JL that said not to do it, it wouldn't work. Many of the people on the forums said it probably wouldn't work. All you can do is try it and see what it sounds like.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
I never doubted the w6 IB :)
Would you mind giving a little more detail as to how the W7 sounded bad? I didn't see your post above when I posted last. I have a friend that's about to try it and I want to stop him if there's no chance of it sounding good, especially since I gave him the idea to try it.

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Vas on the W7s is a bit on the low side. Maybe that's it?

But it's something that I have wondered about as well too...cause everything else seems to be really good for IB.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

But it's something that I have wondered about as well too...cause everything else seems to be really good for IB.
Ya maybe a pair would be optimal but my roommate and I have tested Hertz Subwoofers, 10" and 12" in pairs, both on rear deck and behind the seats, sealing and without sealing and they've sounded REALLY good despite Hertz saying they wouldn't.

Maybe a pair is needed? Although that would be hugely expensive, I think the looks of the W7's, especially during excursion, is hard to beat.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Vas and qtc
Yea well when it's only got about 200
Watts going to it and it distorts it's useless.
I did this car almost 3 years ago. And like I told the owner then, some speakers just won't work in IB, some will and not sound bad, but very few
Do it with great attack and decay, accurate deep extension and a generous output

·
18,694 Posts

They market them for small enclosures, right? Probably need it to help compliance. If distortion comes primarily from suspension issues then it makes sense they'd be troublesome IB. Buy two and limit Xmax but spend a few gold bars to do it.

Elsewhere I've seen guys say they work great IB. Until I did it myself, the verdict would be out.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
For what it's worth I hope the OP goes through with it just for the heck of it. Maybe 200w is the limit in IB. I know my W6 was getting pretty crazy on me at probably 100w but it sure did sound good. Now I wish I would've tried my friend's 12W7 when I had the 12" baffle in the car. It's just been collecting dust on his pool table for a couple years.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
For what it's worth I hope the OP goes through with it just for the heck of it. Maybe 200w is the limit in IB. I know my W6 was getting pretty crazy on me at probably 100w but it sure did sound good. Now I wish I would've tried my friend's 12W7 when I had the 12" baffle in the car. It's just been collecting dust on his pool table for a couple years.
Ya I'd be glad to post a hugely subjective writeup (i know those are the most authoritative ;)) on all the different woofers I've tried IB, whether IB or behind the seats, and to what degree of "sealing" i did for each. I've sort of fell in love ever with IB ever since I saw how cool bikinpunk's car looked with those AE's.

That being said, I should have the woofer in by wednesday. I plan on driving "subless" to the shop I ordered from in Georgia, about a 2 hour drive, and mounting it immediately on my baffle I'll make this week with my impact driver for the drive back.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Safe to say, the 13w7 sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g IB. Just tried it with the one I got today. Simply built a baffle with two 3/4" mdf together and not even close to sealed on the sides. Just as punchy as any sub I've ever heard. I'll update more with pics soon.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Safe to say, the 13w7 sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g IB. Just tried it with the one I got today. Simply built a baffle with two 3/4" mdf together and not even close to sealed on the sides. Just as punchy as any sub I've ever heard. I'll update more with pics soon.
That's awesome! Looking forward to pics and another review after the full install and more listening time.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I figured it would sound good. It seems to spec out pretty good for IB, plus a well respected member's used a w7 ib.

What midbass are you using?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts