DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two pairs of Massive Audio CK6Vs sitting on my floor waiting on amps to arrive and the suspense is killing me. Anyone installed them yet and confirmed if the new crossover does in fact tame the tweeters?

Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'd be interested to know as well. I have a set of the version 3's in my truck and I solved them problem with setting the tweeters to -3 on the crossover and experimenting with placement. Well I guess that is actually masking the problem, not solving it, but I got them positioned to where they sound nice. What are you putting them in?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
'02 Gand Cherokee, front and rear. I haven't decided on tweeter placement up front yet but I will start with the coax mount and go from there.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Mine are in an F-150. I started with the surface mount parts and velcro. Tried them in several places, A-pillar first, different places on the doors. I ended up with them about 6" above the mids, tilted slightly down and forward at about the 4:00 position seemed to work best for me. With everything set right, you will be very happy with them. I bought my set without ever hearing them. I just relied on the people on these forums that were using and raving about them. I started out with the tweeters set to zero and played with placement, I quickly changed them to -3 and then just kept trying different places till I got it right. I probably spent close to 2 months on this. So be patient.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha 2 months?! You are a patient person! I am hoping the new crossover really minimizes these issues...or I will go active and that will solve the problem, though my amp space is tight.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Yea 2 months. I hope they solved the problem and am waiting to hear what you think. I have a set of the Massive VX6 coax speakers in my car doors right now and would like to replace them with a set of the CK6, but not if I have to go through that process again.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Overall how happy are you guys with these speakers. Looking at maybe picking up a pair. I'll be running active.

·
Registered
457 Posts
will be getting mine on wednesday to put in my civic, should have them in by wednesday night -- will let you guys know my results!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm interested too. I nearly bought a set off of the classifieds but I was too indecisive and somebody else snagged them by the time I made my decision.

I have seen reviews of the RK6 in the reviews section, but not the CK6V yet.

Subscribed...

·
Registered
457 Posts
some good news and bad news (well, not too bad): speakers arrived a day early, the box is very fancy as i'm sure you all know. they did kind of cheap out in the sense that the box is exactly the same as the ck6 stage iii box (literally, i have little stickers covering the stage iii markings on it to say stave v, lol.) but it's nothing to complain about, it's still very nice. everything looks great and very well packaged, however...

the crossovers are a bit bigger than expected, quite a lot larger than my infinity's, which fit underneath my kick panels. unfortunately that's not possible with the massive's, (must be because of the name :]) and i don't know the specs of the infinity crossover and so i didn't even bother. plus, i want to try different tweeter mounting options, mainly in my a pillars so passengers don't block the tweeter from my ears, and in order to fit them in even for a test run in current location, #1 the kick panel has to go on properly which isn't possible with wires coming out, and #2 the tweeter holes would have to be enlarged, so i can't even do it temporarily with the massives. i also have literally no room to move the crossover out from under the kick panel because the speaker wire is just that tight in there, so...yeah.

i can't fix those problems just yet because i'm completely out of speaker wire. but, i will be getting some hopefully before the end of this week if all goes according to plan. i will be running crossovers to the rear, which will also give the benefit of being easier to make adjustments. i will also have my damplifier by then so i should be able to deaden and seal my doors, so my listening experience should be closer to what you guys would see.

we'll see how things go. the only thing is i'm a bit low on power for these things. my amp (mtx 6304) is rated for 37.5x4 and i have it bridged on rear channels for my sub. it says 150x2, and it supposedly makes that @ 12v and has no real ratings for 14.4v, my guess is probably around 180ish. i'll try them running off just the front two channels and then try with the channels bridged. hopefully that'll give me enough power to really see what these things can do!

so, yeah, in short, should be able to have a short review of my experiences with these up on friday. hopefully it all goes according to plan!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, please keep us posted, as I am anxious to hear about your results and If you are happy with them, particularly with running them off just the front channels. The general concensus, from what I've read is these components like their power. I am feeding my stage 3's in the truck at 125 per channel so they sound good, but in the car, I am like you, low on power at 55 per channel. Good luck with your install and look forward to reading more.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
457 Posts
it's been a long weekend. i worked 6 hours on friday night, 14 hours yesterday and another 4 or so hours this morning getting everything in my car properly. honda sure didn't do much to encourage a stereo install in these 98 civics.. on the bright side, my speakers are now mounted into 1.25"ish wood baffles, and my doors are sealed and deadened. man, deadening sure does make a difference in how the door feels!

first things first, i installed my kdc-x995 head unit since my clarion cz500 screen went bad and i didn't want to deal with that piece of garbage. i had a lot of gripes with it and at the end of the day, decided it was worth it to just get rid of it and get a new unit. the x995 is awesome, btw, i love it. menus are easy to navigate, it's fast, and sounds good. tons and tons of audio adjustments as well, which is always great.

moved my amp out of the side of my trunk and got it on my sub box so i can make adjustments easier to gain and crossover points (ultimately decided to use head unit for crossovers since i can get it exactly on the frequencies i want and different slopes, as well as the fact that it's just faster to change!) and also mounted the crossovers back there on the box as well since they're too big to fit where my previous infinity crossovers were and i didn't want them in some weird place where it's hard to make adjustments.

ran completely new speaker wire using 16 gauge kicker z series wire. very flexible, nice wire, and pretty cheap @ 100 feet for $40 at sonic electronix.

anyways, i now have my tweeters as low in the a pillars as they can go (mainly for stealth reasons as i'm using the "angle mounts" that massive gives, didn't have time or energy for fiberglassing yet) and they are aiming approximately at the opposite side's headrests. staging is pretty good. mids in stock spots, cut the crap out of my door panels to get them to fit the mids with wood baffles (which are each two rings of HDF glued together, then the speaker is mounted through them and the metal with very long screws) and used silicone to seal the seam around the baffle and metal. seems pretty solid.

sound impressions are very good. the x995 has a 5 band eq and i cut the 4th band down to -2 to tame the tweeters a bit, but i assure you that it wasn't that they were harsh, just slightly overpowering. they were still very enjoyable, and this is with the 0db setting on the crossover; the -3db setting on one of my crossovers has a bad thread and i don't have the tools to rethread it, but i'm completely happy with the 0db.

the first thing i noticed was the midbass. it sure is nice to finally have some! i can actually hear the kicks now, it's great. vocals are very natural sounding, it's just amazing. i think the highs are slightly more forward than the mids and midbass, but i do enjoy this time of sound. i believe if you use the -3db setting it would probably solve that issue but i prefer a slightly v-shaped sound signature, so ymmv. imo, these would be great speakers to run without a sub and in fact, i listened to them for a long while with no sub and they did absolutely amazing. even with the volume at a rather moderate level and only 37.5 watts rms (what my amp is rated at for 12v and i was testing with car off) it was blurring my rear view mirror, something my old infinity's couldn't do if their life depended on it.

tweeters are very nice imo too. they have a great "sparkle" to them that is very enjoyable, and they are never sibilant nor harsh and not overly bright to my ears. even turning the system way up, i'm uncomfortable from the overall volume rather than the screeching of the tweeters, unlike my old infinity's which would scream at you any chance you get, and had enormous amounts of sibilance which was dreadful. i can't tell you how balanced the sound level is between the tweeter and the mid other than that everything blends pretty well to my ears (but again, i'm new at this audiophile thing) and it DEFINITELY is NOT harsh or sibilant, at least with the power i'm giving them.

to sbelew, i do believe you'll be very satisfied with this set, even with only 55 watts rms. i have a kicker zx400.1 coming next week for a sub amp so i can bridge my 4 channel and get ~150 watts rms to each side, but i'm not certain i'm going to bother with that anymore -- they seem perfect to me without the extra power. i believe i'm somewhere around 45 watts rms at 14.4v, though i don't know if my mtx 6304 is underrated or overrated. it's my step dad's old amp that he gave to me.

overall, i'm more than pleased with this component set. they're not just amazing for the price, they're amazing, period. not only that, i actually paid less for these than i did for my infinity's. and i was able to get $70 out of my infinity's from a friend, which really helped as well.

i haven't heard hat imagines or any of the ck6's other competitors, nor have i heard the stage 3 version of the ck6's, but i am almost positive that in a well-done installation, you will be happy. i'll try bridging my amp tomorrow to see if that brings any harshness to the tweeter, but i don't really see that happening.

sorry for the long post. these are amazing speakers, and i think you definitely will not be disappointed. i think i had one gripe with the set, though: they didn't include screws for mounting the crossover, and all the screws i had in stock had too big of heads to work, so i had to go buy more. it would've been nice to see them spend the money to include some mounting hardware for that, and perhaps better mounting options for the tweeter because imo, the tweeter mounts are very poor and even with the flush mount, the screw in the back (in my set) doesn't even reach the tweeter with the long screw so it can still be tilted when i wanted to see if i could make it stay aimed straight. kind of annoying.

hopefully you get your amps soon, these are really a great set of speakers for the money!

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on getting them in and thanks for the thorough feedback! Still waiting on my amps but hoping they arrive this week for a weekend install.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Congrats on getting your install done and thank you for the information. It was a good read. I'm thinking I will order a set of the CK6 after christmas and try them on 55 watts.

Thanks
Steve

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
we'll see how things go. the only thing is i'm a bit low on power for these things. my amp (mtx 6304) is rated for 37.5x4 and i have it bridged on rear channels for my sub. it says 150x2, and it supposedly makes that @ 12v and has no real ratings for 14.4v, my guess is probably around 180ish. i'll try them running off just the front two channels and then try with the channels bridged. hopefully that'll give me enough power to really see what these things can do!

so, yeah, in short, should be able to have a short review of my experiences with these up on friday. hopefully it all goes according to plan!
An amplifier that does 37.5x4 at 12v, probably does around 50-60watts at 14.4V. So, it should be equivalent to amplifiers rated around 50-60watts RMS per channel. I would try it without bridging first.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
first things first, i installed my kdc-x995 head unit since my clarion cz500 screen went bad and i didn't want to deal with that piece of garbage. i had a lot of gripes with it and at the end of the day, decided it was worth it to just get rid of it and get a new unit. the x995 is awesome, btw, i love it. menus are easy to navigate, it's fast, and sounds good. tons and tons of audio adjustments as well, which is always great.

sound impressions are very good. the x995 has a 5 band eq and i cut the 4th band down to -2 to tame the tweeters a bit, but i assure you that it wasn't that they were harsh, just slightly overpowering. they were still very enjoyable, and this is with the 0db setting on the crossover; the -3db setting on one of my crossovers has a bad thread and i don't have the tools to rethread it, but i'm completely happy with the 0db.

I have a comment on the Kenwood deck. If it is anything like my x994, you should definitely turn off Kenwood's mystery "SQ" features: Supreme+, Bass Boost, and Highway Sound. In my experience, they make the sound harsher. The Supreme+ can make highs and upper mid range somewhat harsh. In fact, it was also confirmed that this feature destroys SQ. Channel separation drops down to around 15dB from upper 70s, and SNR drops a lot to. Turn off those features, and test your speakers again. Bass Boost is also not great in my experience, it made drums overly harsh because the speakers just couldn't take the boost with good composure. Highway sound is more of the same..

Also, check this little note about time alignment. It will definitely make your sound fuller if you configure it correctly:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/general-car-audio-discussion-no-question-dumb/119026-kenwood-dnx9140-time-alignment-question.html

1 - 20 of 47 Posts