DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seriously thinking about returning my 13TW5s and doing a Stealthbox to make life easier (I know, I know) but I'm curious if anyone's tried both and what their relative differences are. The 10W6 has about half the cone are but almost twice the excursion. And I'm running 2 13TW5s but the 10W6 will be corner loaded.

Thanks guys!
Paul

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
You're never going to be happy. LOL! We need to talk offline about this as I think I might have an answer to your problems.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is there something you dont like about the TW5? You already have them installed, is something not working/not fitting?
I like them fine, I'm just looking to maximize hatch space since it's already really small.

Of course not having the tools I need to really do it the way I want sucks too.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I'm seriously thinking about returning my 13TW5s and doing a Stealthbox to make life easier (I know, I know) but I'm curious if anyone's tried both and what their relative differences are. The 10W6 has about half the cone are but almost twice the excursion. And I'm running 2 13TW5s but the 10W6 will be corner loaded.

Thanks guys!
Paul
I have a JL stealth box in my 08 R32 and it does really good for a single 10 in a small sealed enclosure. I got this after my Diamond D610 in a ported enclosure got jacked. The Diamond in the ported enclosure was definitely louder but the 10W6v2 gives my system all the bass it needs, plus it hit notes my ported enclosure couldn't. For sound quality I prefer the JL but every now and then I miss the output of my Diamond.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's part of what I'm struggling with. Even with the "awesome" Xmax of 9.7mm on the 13TW5s the simple fact is, the pair of them have FOUR TIMES the cone area and that's impossible to make up. I might just have to keep playing around with different configirations.

·
Registered
85 Posts
So what do you think of the 13TW5's I am picking mine up tomorrow.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I actually really like them. They're stiff as all hell so don't even bother trying to tune them until you've broken them in for a few weeks. I'm also a bit light on power and they seem to be a bit power hungry. 6 ohms mono on my DC750.2 is yielding just over 500 Watts to the pair if my math is correct. I really need to move to a DC1000.4 so I can do 3 Ohms bridged for just over 500 per sub. I may try just one on the 750.2 and see how it sounds.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Do they really live up to the Hype? How power hungrey are they? I want to put in two of the TW5's in my 08 silverado but I can't decide on the HD 750/1 or the 1000/1... It is a 200.00 dollar difference in the amps and JL said that I would not hear a difference....I have a PDX 1000.1 now but I don't think it would run them at 1.5 Ohm.......

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I think that you'll be better off changing your amps:
Sell your 750.2 and get 2 x 500.1 (if they fit)
or
get 2 x PDx 600.1

The cone diff between one 10" and two 13" is too big to overcome unless you go ported (which will require more space).

Hope that helps,
Kelvin

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Do they really live up to the Hype? How power hungrey are they? I want to put in two of the TW5's in my 08 silverado but I can't decide on the HD 750/1 or the 1000/1... It is a 200.00 dollar difference in the amps and JL said that I would not hear a difference....I have a PDX 1000.1 now but I don't think it would run them at 1.5 Ohm.......
You'll be ok with the 750/1. I just needed to stop being a pansy and turn the gain up. Previously I had the gains completely bottomed. Once I turned it up some they were just silly. That was the reason I decided to sell mine. It's WAY too much bass for me. I know I could just leave the gain down but that's like buying a Ferrari and going 25MPH all the time, so I'm downsizing.

I think that you'll be better off changing your amps:
Sell your 750.2 and get 2 x 500.1 (if they fit)
or
get 2 x PDx 600.1

The cone diff between one 10" and two 13" is too big to overcome unless you go ported (which will require more space).

Hope that helps,
Kelvin
Kelvin,

Yes, there's a lot less cone area but the 10W6v2 has a lot more Xmax so they're almost dead even.

·
Registered
4,106 Posts
What's a good alternative to the jl stealthbox setup ? I need somthin small as possible

·
Registered
85 Posts
pm me if you sell. I bought 1 and will have it run off a pdx 1.600 and it is awesome I think I would run another 600 to one.

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Does having your sub corner-loaded increase the low end drastically? I don't have any experience here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts