·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
.55 by series
.54 by parallel
.91 each coil

Why the inconsistency between just running it for a week

I am not keen on dats or speaker measurements like this , I’m still learning, I’ve mostly just used it to find that actual impedance (ports especially).... not for ts stuff ....

Will it change again in a week or month or whatever ?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
That is primarily when the time when the spider and surround get used to moving.
i Never knew it changed that much.... dam ..... and I would have thought out of the box the Q would be higher then broke in ...... this is getting me curious I want to test all my drivers now

Definitely curious what chircokz28 thinks overall and performance is .....

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
.55 by series
.54 by parallel
.91 each coil

Why the inconsistency between just running it for a week

I am not keen on dats or speaker measurements like this , I’m still learning, I’ve mostly just used it to find that actual impedance (ports especially).... not for ts stuff ....

Will it change again in a week or month or whatever ?
Qts?
DATS isn't 100% consistent either, it's close enough in most cases.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
i Never knew it changed that much.... dam ..... and I would have thought out of the box the Q would be higher then broke in ...... this is getting me curious I want to test all my drivers now

Definitely curious what chircokz28 thinks overall and performance is .....
Haven't had a chance to swap them in yet.

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Qts?
DATS isn't 100% consistent either, it's close enough in most cases.
Yeah qts

running them in series was pretty damn close to yours... I had no idea breaking in really changed it that much.

But usually BL FS and QTS Give me at least an idea of what’s happening

but it really is nice to have every single parameter... especially the impedance measurements

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I may have to check these out but I have really good midbass drivers already. XBL drivers are not the most efficient but they have low distortion throughout their stroke usually.

Belive it or not the JL C5 are really good misbass drivers. I love them in my truck.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 · (Edited)
I may have to check these out but I have really good midbass drivers already. XBL drivers are not the most efficient but they have low distortion throughout their stroke usually.

Belive it or not the JL C5 are really good misbass drivers. I love them in my truck.
i did a JL system with c5s and it was just okay , he smoked his tweets and we put some AF tweets in and holy smokes it sounded great after that. That tiny tweet is definitely the pitfall of those

they do have very low distortion I’m hearing a lot of detail in the 150-400hz range that I couldn’t pick up before

so I would use this for sure with another midbass or in pairs as a 2nd driver with something of more efficiency if want to play loud (super loud) they get loud enough by themselves with good power on them.
it’s not a dealbreaker, the low sensitivity... It doesn’t seem like it’s that much quieter... and doesn’t the constant BL give it volume all the way through its excursion, that seems to make up for some of the losses as it’s not a peak efficiency but more dynamic efficiency...... I justam not hearing it be painfully inefficient. And that may also contribute to why I can hear excellent detail... I wonder what the gap width is on these. If I press on the cones edge it doesn’t scratch the coil... idk it’s a odd ball , but a cool speaker for sure

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
So I swapped the Dayton's in last night. They are about 3 db louder than the Anarchy's primarily because they don't bottom out, but I damn near let the magic smoke escape with 300 watts clipped, fortunately there was no damage, not even discoloration of the voice coil or leads, Edit: They have really good heat transfer to the magnet. They don't have quite as much impact as the Anarchy's, but with the Le being higher I would expect that. Now I need more clean power for them. I took some photos with the Anarchy's and without, for those that would like more detail than the website. By the way, they use the exact same basket as the Anarchy's.
Camera accessory Camera lens Cameras & optics Automotive tire Handwriting

Drinkware Camera accessory Font Gas Handwriting

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Camera lens Camera accessory Lens

Camera lens Camera accessory Lens cap Reflex camera Lens

Rim Camera accessory Bumper Auto part Personal protective equipment

White Light Camera lens Camera accessory Flash photography

Light Camera lens Camera accessory Reflex camera Audio equipment

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Excellent!

what is your impression of overall SQ ?
They are in my hatch running as subwoofers, I can't tell much about higher frequency sq right now, but they're pretty tight and clean as subs. I'll play around with them some more later this week, maybe in a 2 way config.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Excellent!

what is your impression of overall SQ ?
By the way, that listening session above was 1 voice coil with 300 watts, they are louder with both coils driven in series with 150 watts.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I smelled hot coil today on one of mine
Was bumping for a minute looking at my tweeters and smelled hot coil

sounds fine and plays fine..... turned mine down

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I smelled hot coil today on one of mine
Was bumping for a minute looking at my tweeters and smelled hot coil

sounds fine and plays fine..... turned mine down
How much power and what xover(s)?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
Anytime I’ve ever smelled hot coil , I’ve replaced the driver because I’m sorta a stickler for having perfect working equipment....

Idk if I should ignore it and move on or order a new one.... just smelled hot coil for a second, still working fine..... do you think the sq is diminished at all?

i haven’t smelled that in my own car in years.....the Rest of the drivers are working effortlessly, it’s just this set I have working extra over duty....

anyway.... I’ve heard it’s just the “glue” getting hot and as long as it worksit should be fine ....

what really happens? Is there a burn on a voice coil? I need to run a measurement on it and look at what? Maybe Le:? If it has less inductance or what parameter would show damage to the coil ?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Anytime I’ve ever smelled hot coil , I’ve replaced the driver because I’m sorta a stickler for having perfect working equipment....

Idk if I should ignore it and move on or order a new one.... just smelled hot coil for a second, still working fine..... do you think the sq is diminished at all?

i haven’t smelled that in my own car in years.....the Rest of the drivers are working effortlessly, it’s just this set I have working extra over duty....

anyway.... I’ve heard it’s just the “glue” getting hot and as long as it worksit should be fine ....

what really happens? Is there a burn on a voice coil? I need to run a measurement on it and look at what? Maybe Le:? If it has less inductance or what parameter would show damage to the coil ?
When I inspected mine after the smell, there was no discoloration anywhere, in a case like that there is no damage, just warm glue or lacquer.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts

Damage to the coil would be indicated by a change in Re, Le would also change but Re can be checked much more easily. Too much heat damages the thin insulating lacquer on the voice coil windings thus causing a short.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Damage to the coil would be indicated by a change in Re, Le would also change but Re can be checked much more easily. Too much heat damages the thin insulating lacquer on the voice coil windings thus causing a short.
ah ..... okay okay I see... thank you...

I turned it down and played same song same level and it’s fine now.... just turned 80hz from +6db to +2db on eq

(the eq i have upstream is -6db at 80 that’s why I was +6db)

61 - 80 of 106 Posts