DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 150 Posts

· Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the cerwin vega has a couple of new dsps and so does diamond audio. Looks like they are the same units just dressed different and the diamond audio is a little more expensive. These actually fit what I'm looking for in a dsp, just wondering if they are worth a poo for a budget unit in a budget system. (it looks like only the 6 channel is currently available but the 8 channel will be soon)

· Registered
2001 Nissan Sentra GXE
422 Posts
Why not Dayton DSP?

· Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why not Dayton DSP?
I need 6 inputs and 8 outputs. The Dayton only has 4 inputs. This unit also has Bluetooth capability with an app and no additional module to buy. Also I read numerous times the Dayton was noisy. I have a Dayton LP dsp and I don’t care too much for it. Matter of fact, I disconnected it.

· Registered
2018 Mazda6 Grand Touring Reserve
614 Posts
I need 6 inputs and 8 outputs. The Dayton only has 4 inputs. This unit also has Bluetooth capability with an app and no additional module to buy. Also I read numerous times the Dayton was noisy. I have a Dayton LP dsp and I don’t care too much for it. Matter of fact, I disconnected it.
Why do you need 6 inputs? Are you using a bunch of different sources? If you're just using your head unit, you really only need to feed a full range stereo signal to one pair of inputs. The Dayton does require a dongle for direct BT connection, but it's still cheaper than these.

I don't have one, so I can't really weigh in on the noise question. I've heard differing reports. I will say that I doubt you're getting better build quality out of whichever Chinese build house makes stuff for CV and DA these days.

Reactions: mdnky

· Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why do you need 6 inputs? Are you using a bunch of different sources? If you're just using your head unit, you really only need to feed a full range stereo signal to one pair of inputs. The Dayton does require a dongle for direct BT connection, but it's still cheaper than these.

I don't have one, so I can't really weigh in on the noise question. I've heard differing reports. I will say that I doubt you're getting better build quality out of whichever Chinese build house makes stuff for CV and DA these days.
You may not agree on what I prefer, but after all, it’s about what we each prefer in our system. I want front, rear, and sub hooked up to the inputs on the dsp so I do not need a bass knob and can control my sub volume with the control in the headunit. That’s how I prefer it. I also want the fader to work correctly with my head unit.

· Registered
872 Posts
Without looking I’d be willing to bet that it uses sigma studio or whatever which is what all the cheap DSPs incl Dayton use.

· Registered
8,634 Posts
Cerwin Vega & Diamond Audio are under the same umbrella and have been for some time, so you will see them sharing gear on certain levels. That said, I still don't trust them fully as they both have gone through some less than stellar changes over the years. Certain Cerwin subs don't measure as the specs state, though they work well for IB use. I would imagine the same holds true for Diamond. So if (and most likely) one of those DSP are less than par, both are. I agree with finding a used Helix for less worry.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

· Registered
26 Posts
The Dayton is absolutely noisy, I can’t take it anymore and will be ripping mine out for a helix soon. They say the noise is caused when using 12v as the power source and people have gotten rid of it by using the other power input but that seems like a whole other hassle, and ultimately I’d prefer something with more output voltage as well

· Registered
8,634 Posts
I thought I had seen then but as I mentioned, cant find anyone using them on car. The Harley stereo guys use them. In the video, you can see him use the software and save settings.
On a bike, things are a but different. There's not much room for a conventional size DSP, especially when stuffing it inside the fairing along with amps & wiring. It's already a mess in there with the main harness and plugs. On a bike, the noise floor isn't as much of an issue since most will play their system close to wide open all the time. As long as it isn't a high background noise like cheap amps with an alternator whine, it's ok. I have a Dayton for my bike and considered the drawbacks. In a car, always choose better if possible.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

· Registered
96 Posts
For that price, what does it do that the DSR1 doesn't?

The DSR1 certainly has some shortcomings, but for what it is and the price, it's not bad. I've been moderately happy with mine, but looking for something better now.

· Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
For that price, what does it do that the DSR1 doesn't?

The DSR1 certainly has some shortcomings, but for what it is and the price, it's not bad. I've been moderately happy with mine, but looking for something better now.
Lol.....you were typing while I was......

I'm going to research it and see how the app works....

But does it have 6 inputs? it says 4 Balanced Differential RCA Inputs and 2 aux inputs.....

1 - 20 of 150 Posts