DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The add talked about "on-axis" & "off-axis", but I'm just concerned about them being made of PVC.

Are they worth buying, and then reinforcing with fibreglass?

After reading about the kick panels being the best place for mid bass/mid range, I have no idea what to do now.

System will be in a 2003 Ford F350 King Ranch crewcab.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I've not used the personally, but hear they're a bit flimsy. I think a couple of people have reinforced them though. I think most on this forum would end up making their own kicks as that is kind of the premise here.

If I sound like I'm being an ass I'm not trying to.

Josh

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've not used the personally, but hear they're a bit flimsy. I think a couple of people have reinforced them though. I think most on this forum would end up making their own kicks as that is kind of the premise here.

If I sound like I'm being an ass I'm not trying to.

Josh
Not at all.
Thanks for the reply.
I think they are too flimsy as well.
I checked the volume requirements for the speakers I have, and it's 15 liters. (Ok...14.9 liters) no way that POS has that kinda volume.
I'm a gonna step away from that schee it.

·
Registered
8,177 Posts
I wouldn't write them off completely, but they would need a bit of rework before using them. Aesthetically, they look pleasing, just would need some reinforcing with perhaps some wood baffles behind the plastic to stiffen them. Also I can't think of any kicks that would have enough area to completely seal a 6.5" driver. This is why many vent into the carpet or elsewhere. They still seem like a decent deal if one wanted to incorporate them into a 3-way front stage with the midrange & tweets placed into those and midbass into the doors. Only problem is the price point for such relegation. I suppose less time, materials, & experience would be the attribute to using them.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm more of a mechanical kinda guy.
I don't like working with wood, or fibreglass. (Though I have done some nice wood projects in my time.)
This is the whole reason I'm getting a shop to build the center console for me, and most likely the door panels too.
I just don't have the time, or patience to learn how to fibreglass.
This is why I'm doing the amp rack myself, and it's been going on since July already.

I'm trying to finish all the Dynamat, CCF, MLV, and amp rack before I take the truck in to the shop.

Seeing these after I read about the distance to your ears, etc, and that the kicks would have been the best spot...it makes no sense to put them there when they require a lot more space/volume to perform right.

Between building the truck, the engine, and the twin turbo setup...getting time to put another iron in the fire just isn't gonna happen.

I'm gonna try to take this winter off from projects, and just sit back and enjoy my family for awhile.

Pick the truck up early next year, (February, March, or April) and carry on.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I used them several years ago, and would not use again. Too flimsy, not nearly sufficient for mid bass and it lowers the stage too much. I used with 4" mids and 1 inch tweeters and was never happy.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback.

I will leave the doors as the enclosures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.