DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so there is a company that is designing an Android based headunit specifically for my car, and if they make it nice I will probably buy one. It's for the E39 series BMW, would be factory fit, with a large capacitive touch display and a specially tailored version of the Android operating system which opens up some cool options for navigation etc. The really cool thing to me though, is it has 2 usb inputs, designed for use with flash storage. My idea is this. Why not buy a large capacity external hard drive with USB interface, and install it permanently in the vehicle, then load all of my music into this drive in loss-less format? I could then access my entire music library at a touch of the screen, and not be stuck with MP3 audio quality.

The only problems as I see with it are adapting a power supply for a PC hard drive, which can be relatively easily overcome, and will the drive be reliable in the car environment due to shock etc?

So, has anyone ever done this before? At the current cost of storage, it's not a huge risk if I should burn out a hd, but I wandered if anyone had done this before or had any input into it's feasability. Worst case I can always invest in a 64 GB flash device and just swap out music occasionally, or just also use the CD player when I want to listen to something not currently on the memory.

It would be really cool to just have a TB of memory available at my fingertips in my car though :) Could even put movies and pics in there if I want. Not to mention could tether my droid to it and surf the net if I got stuck waiting somewhere LOL!.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
check out the car Pc forum. this is done everyday :p

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had a busted dell laptop that i took the hard drive from... bought a HD case for $5 and slapped it in. Its a 250gig

Currently running a WD media player, using the optical output into a BitOne processor. Play mostly flac files.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I'm probably going to go with a bit ten D, if I can find one anyway. What is a WD media player if you don't mind my asking? Not familiar with that. I guess I'm most interested in how you get an optical output, and how you interface with it.

OK I think I see what this thing is, but how do you interface with it in a car? No screen to see what file you are playing. Might work better when paired to android, but I would not need the additional functionality, as the HD will have a digital out supposedly.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey... I have a 7" screen in my truck, its one of those ebay chineese all in one players (only used as a screen though) also The WD media player works on 12V so you just have to cut the power adapter off and splice it into your radio harness. You can use the optical output on the player and an optical TOSLINK cable to send the feed to the bit ten

WD stands for western digital... you can pick up one on ebay for <$100

1 - 7 of 7 Posts