DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i found some raptor metra 12 gauge speaker wire cheap, has anyone used it, hows the quality compared to stinger or tsunami

thanks
pete

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I know I have seen the Raptor power kits and they were nowhere near the same amount of copper strands as a reputable brand, there was more insulation on the wire than copper inside.

This was advertised as a 1/0 gauge install kit, I doubt it had more copper in it than most 4AWG kits.

If you looking for some OFC speaker wire on the cheap look at parts express, it's far better quality that that Raptor Garbage... IMO

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Another not-so-high-end brand, so I'll assume that it's probably the same. Either wire would be fine for most purposes, just don't run high powered subs through them and make sure you're not paying more than you would for 14 gauge from a better brand.

I actually have my car wired with no-name speaker wire. "12 gauge" for my front woofers - probably more like 14 gauge. "16 gauge" for my front tweeters, it's probably more like 18-19 gauge. But good enough for tweeters. I use Knu 10 gauge for my sub. Now that is some BEEFY wire.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I have used the raptor the tsunami and many many other 12gauge wire. The tsunami is legit copper 12 gauge. However the raptor is total ****. Hope that helps

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Raptor and Tsunami are both from the same parent company (Metra). Raptor is marketed as their "affordable" line and Tsunami is their better line. The Raptor 12 gauge will be closer to real 16 gauge and the Tsunami will be somewhere in between, but much closer to real 12 gauge. Either is fine for short runs and less than 1000 watts.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts