DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Wondering if they are a nice upgrade from the pdx.
Yup. Alpine's X-Series X-A90V 5-channel sounds fantastic IMPO. I was sad to see the 2nd Gen PDX amps be discontinued, but the X-A90V is very nice. Just as a side note and FYI, the subwoofer channel on the X-A90V is limited in FR to 300Hz or 400Hz on the top end, but that's not an issue in 99.9% of the scenarios they will be used in, and actually improves their efficiency.

I haven't used the new X Monoblock amp yet.

·
Registered
949 Posts
They aren’t regulated though. So we are stuck with old af pdx amps or switching to JL HD series which are exorbitantly priced.

·
Registered
949 Posts
The second gen is still a decade old at least isn’t it? How can you tell them apart?

I had the m12 and f6 years ago and there’s been nothing close in sq - truly the best I’ve ever heard besides one other amp - JL slash. I can’t tell the difference between them and they’re both regulated, so that must be what it is that I like so much.

Reactions: dcfis

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
The second gen is still a decade old at least isn’t it? How can you tell them apart?

I had the m12 and f6 years ago and there’s been nothing close in sq - truly the best I’ve ever heard besides one other amp - JL slash. I can’t tell the difference between them and they’re both regulated, so that must be what it is that I like so much.
There's a lot more going on in those particular Alpine amplifiers besides the "regulated vs non-regulated" aspect. Probably much more to do with the ultra fast switching frequencies and how they handled the associated filtering and feedback loop.

Either way, I agree that the 2nd Gen PDX did & do sound very good, and they are/were one of my favorite "Class D" amplifiers. They were small, powerful (under-rated), efficient, and versatile, with a clean, minimalistic design. And I made use of the simple and elegant "stacking" feature a lot in many installs. Loved that. And all of the PDX-F6 amps that I used benched at 185wpc-195wpc while they were rated at 150wpc. The M12's easily put out 250-350+ more watts than rated.

IIRC, Andy (@oabeieo) mentioned somewhere here that he's been really impressed with the new X-A90V as well, and he gets to install and hear/compare a relatively wide range of amplifiers daily after tuning most of the shop's installed systems.

Anyway, I think that just about anyone would be extremely pleased with the "sound" and performance of the new X-series amps. IMO, they certainly would not be the bottleneck or "compromise" in your system. The quality of the source, speakers, install, and tuning will have much, much more to do with the final outcome.

If I had to describe them in subjective terms, I would say that they are clean, powerful, detailed, open, and spacious, without seeming "clinical" or "harsh/edgy" at all. In fact, the detail, openness, and spaciousness of the high end is what stood out most to me.

Female vocals and percussion/cymbals/chimes/bells/triangles were extremely articulate and beautiful. I always use the female vocal and percussion tracks on the Stockfisch Records "Are You Authentic" (AYA) car audio test disc to test any system, and that's when these attributes really stood out to me. And no deficiencies in the midrange or midbass whatsoever. Midbass was extremely tight, fast, detailed, and dynamic.

Maybe my impressions are due to some confirmation bias, but I think that it is relatively easy for most of us to determine when we hear instruments and vocals that we are intimately familiar with and they suddenly sound more lifelike and "real" than before, to the point that you get goosebumps and chills down your spine.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Interesting. Yeah the only other thing it could be is that the alpines were putting out significantly more per channel than what I compared them to. My f6 was 212w per channel - crazy. I forget what the m12 was but it really made a 12w7 growl and dig deep. I sure do like the prices of the alpines than I do JL’s similar offerings.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys and especially bbfoto. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade my jad800 to an f6 or the new x. I have a m12 and like the form factor. I've got a particular need that the jad has been great at providing tons of power to my 2 ohm Midbass. I figured the f6 would do fine despite not doubling into 2 ohms, I think it would power them well. The new x gives me pause but if there was a noticeable upgrade in sound I would do that

·
Registered
949 Posts
Thanks guys and especially bbfoto. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to upgrade my jad800 to an f6 or the new x. I have a m12 and like the form factor. I've got a particular need that the jad has been great at providing tons of power to my 2 ohm Midbass. I figured the f6 would do fine despite not doubling into 2 ohms, I think it would power them well. The new x gives me pause but if there was a noticeable upgrade in sound I would do that
Bro please sell me your m12 - I’ve been wanting one ever since I sold my last one a couple years ago. Worst decision in car audio I ever made.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Bro please sell me your m12 - I’ve been wanting one ever since I sold my last one a couple years ago. Worst decision in car audio I ever made.
Yeah, I sold an extra BNIB M12 & F6 that I had laying around and still kick myself. But I didn't have an immediate use for them at the time and am trying to clear off my shelves of any "static" gear. Oh well. At least the new X amps are an option now. Plenty of other good amps tho', too.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Yeah, I sold an extra BNIB M12 & F6 that I had laying around and still kick myself. But I didn't have an immediate use for them at the time and am trying to clear off my shelves of any "static" gear. Oh well. At least the new X amps are an option now. Plenty of other good amps tho', too.
That’s exactly what I had. Sold them for $750 to some rando off fb. I’ve asked him three times to sell them back and he’s not budging lol. What did you get for yours?

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
That’s exactly what I had. Sold them for $750 to some rando off fb. I’ve asked him three times to sell them back and he’s not budging lol. What did you get for yours?
Not much, but I didn't lose any money...

FS: BNIB Alpine PDX-M12 Amplifier

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
Wondering if they are a nice upgrade from the pdx.
yes!!! I swear by them
I use 4 XA70F amps , and I love them

much better sounding and way lower noise then pdx …. More power also

these amps are easily as good or better the JL HD amps

these amps are a win by whoever designed them,the work fantastic. Go for it

i had HD amps and focal amps before and I love my X amps more by a lot

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
I definitely regret letting my V9 go.
I think that the 2nd Gen PDX-V9 is the only one from the series that is still produced. I maybe wrong, but I thought I have recently seen them in stock from multiple sources. But due to its complexity, that particular amplifier seemed to have the most failures or issues.

·
Registered
5,505 Posts
I think that the 2nd Gen PDX-V9 is the only one from the series that is still produced. I maybe wrong, but I thought I have recently seen them in stock from multiple sources. But due to its complexity, that particular amplifier seemed to have the most failures or issues.
the XA70F is the 175x4 4ch
XA90M is 900w mono block
XA90V is 100x4 and 500x1 5ch

The pdX stands for power D class type X

the new type X stands for
X Amplifer (XA) then abbririated power and the normal alpine code (M is mono). (F is 4ch) (V is 5ch)

the type R amps labeled the same way example RA75M is the 750w mono

same with type S amps example SA60Mis 600w type s mono lock
Etc etc

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
For @dcfis

1 - 20 of 20 Posts