DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of using those threaded inserts in my 3/4" MDF instead of drywall screws. It's nice to be able to easily disassemble and reassemble stuff later. Anyone used and have any tips for installing them correctly?

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
I used T-nuts on my last baffles, and they worked great. You can pick up all different sizes/shapes at Ace. Just get them in a depth that matches or is slightly more shallow than your material thickness (i.e. 5/8" or 1/2") and insert them from the back. Some of them come with spikes that hammer into the wood, and should have a flange to prevent them from being pulled through the wood. Definitely better than using screws if you have the option.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mikey. I can't use T-Nuts on this specific application. Either I use drywall screws to secure 2 pieces of MDF or threaded inserts and a bolt.

I'm securing a face to a large enclosure and the insert will be going into the edge of the MDF on the enclosure.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've used threaded inserts from PE before. It's a good idea to buy the tool to get them started straight (perpendicular to work surface). They are a ***** to get in straight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I 've used something called a "well nut".
These work for attaching to thin material, like inner door skins.
They are available at Orchard Supply in the hardware section.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've used a few different types. There are some that thread in with a flatblade screwdriver, they have a small notch in the crown on each side. I don't like those ones. I've had much better luck with the ones that use an allen wrench.

For something mounted to MDF that may need to be removed/reinstalled a few times, these work way better long term than drywall screws.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
I tried to use hurricane nuts, but they didnt work well. they started spinning in the hole and I got the bolt halfway in and couldnt get it in or back out

·
Registered
2,297 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
thanks for those links wldock...those are sweet!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep-Those are what I was asking about. With my woodworking skills I should be able to install several of those completely crooked.

·
Registered
534 Posts
There is a thread about this I think in the Fabrication forum. Anyway, the ones with the prongs on them (t-nuts) I find are better with softer woods like plywood. Inserts can work okay with MDF but I find that you have to CA-glue them in to make them really hold. Don't rely on the threading them in and figure the teeth on the threads will hold them, especially if you crank down the bolts. I use a unibit to create a pilot hole first because it makes a tapered hole similar in shape to the insert. Then I put some CA glue around the threads and use an allen-head bit on a screwdriver to put them into the MDF. After it's in, run a bolt through it back and forth a couple times to make sure any glue that might have squeezed out when the insert was going in, doesn't sit inside the insert which would gum up the bolt threads. It sounds like work but you do it once or twice and it's pretty quick. Having done it this way with the CA glue, I think only once I've had one pull out. I wouldn't recommend using inserts at all though for pieces that don't mate up well already. If you want to pull pieces together, use screws.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts