DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking to change out my Alpine PDX amps (1000.1 on subs, 4.150 bridged 2 channel on mids, and 2.150 on horns). Anyway I was wondering if anyone that owns the Image Dynamics amps could share their impressions of them. I haven't been able to find too much on them with the search feature.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
I was looking to change out my Alpine PDX amps (1000.1 on subs, 4.150 bridged 2 channel on mids, and 2.150 on horns). Anyway I was wondering if anyone that owns the Image Dynamics amps could share their impressions of them. I haven't been able to find too much on them with the search feature.

Thanks
why?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the 2.150 has a noise floor issue. The gains are down the whole way and down -3 on my H-701. I popped in an old MC300 I had the issue was resolved. I like the look of the ID amps and would like to keep everything the same.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
i run the 700.2 amps in my car for mids and horns and the 1200.1 on my subs they sound beautiful. have you been over to the id forum yet?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, I am a member over there as well. My concern with the amps is that they don't offer exactly the power output I am looking for. I'd also have to use the 4 channel to run my horns, but would have 2 waisted channels on the amp, which is really no big deal I guess. I've be looking hard at the Arc amps as well. I was thinking of running the Acr 300.2 on the horns (180 x 2), the 300.4 bridged to 2 channel (350 x 2) on the mids, and 2 more 300.2 (700 mono) on each sub.

·
Registered
216 Posts
What mfg would you compare the ID amps to? I have a JL 500/1 and a 300/4 that are (cosmetically) scratched up (had them under the seat in my tuck and didnt know they were getting scratched when the seat moved). I was considering the ID Q600.1 and 450.4 as replacements.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
i'm not sure who'd i compare them too. i do know they sound better then my eclipse amps and my old autotek amps. you could do like winslow said and bridge the 4 channel to the horns

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess I could, but holy crap that is a lot of power for the horns. I have 150 on each one right now and have the gain down (on the amp) the whole way and minus 3 on the H701 to match them up with 300 on each mid. Seems like overkill. I need to do something, the noise floor is really annoying me with the PDX's.

·
Premium Member
2,111 Posts
well the 450 says it does 250 bridged at 4 ohms and since the horns are 8 ohms that's only 125

·
Premium Member
6,053 Posts
the 2.150 has a noise floor issue. The gains are down the whole way and down -3 on my H-701. I popped in an old MC300 I had the issue was resolved. I like the look of the ID amps and would like to keep everything the same.
My home speakers use a B&C compression driver, with a sensitivity of 108db or so, and I have a similar issue. When nothing is playing, you can hear an audible hiss.

So part of this problem is related to the sheer sensitivity of your horns.

I wonder if an L-Pad would fix that? With an L-Pad you could drop the sensitivity by 10db, and that will reduce the hiss by 10db also.

You could do that with a 5.5 ohm resistor and a 3.7 ohm resistor in an L-Pad. Might be worth an $2 investment. Fry's Electronics stocks a wide variety.

Keep in mind this will alter your frequency response to some degree, but it may not be audible.

L pad calculator - attenuation dB damping impedance decibel loudspeaker - sengpielaudio Sengpiel Berlin

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks Patrick, just saw your post. I could try the L pad, but why would it go away with the Soundstream amp? Also, I hooked up a pair of Dyn tweets while I have the horns out of the car (doing some fab in that area) and they hiss with the alpine amp as well. Not as bad as my wifes car after running IMPRINT, but I digress. I understand what you are saying about the efficiency of the horns, and its relation to noise floor, but I really think it is this amp. It would be much simpler to leave the back of the car alone. I don't really feel like re-wiring an amp rack and making a bunch of new rca cables, so I'll try the L-pad. I have a noise gate we built about 15 years ago for another car I competed with, I could try it as well.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, all gain levels. As I stated above the amps gain is at its minimum setting and the H701 is at -3 on drives side and -4 on passenger side. And, when I put my MC300 on them, it is not there. That's why I was thinking of throwing my old noisegate in the mix. They are not in the car right now, as I am redoing the front of my car.

Are you Winslow on ID's forum?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forgot to mention, when playing 0 bits the noise increases linearly with volume control increase with the PDX

·
Premium Member
11,520 Posts
Yeap, that's me.

I'll link this to Eric, maybe he can come in here and give you a hand here.

Yes, all gain levels. As I stated above the amps gain is at its minimum setting and the H701 is at -3 on drives side and -4 on passenger side. And, when I put my MC300 on them, it is not there. That's why I was thinking of throwing my old noisegate in the mix. They are not in the car right now, as I am redoing the front of my car.

Are you Winslow on ID's forum?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Winslow, thanks. I have the thread on ID where I'm posting pics of the new horn/kick panel install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts