DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Beautiful work! Love the attention to detail. What is a ballpark estimate to do GB10 tweeters in sail panels like to ones you posted? Just need some kind of idea on the cost.
Thank you.. I just posted like 8 builds lol.. which one

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thank you.. I just posted like 8 builds lol.. which one

I was just looking for a general idea of what it would cost to do custom tweeters in sails. Nothing fancy, but it would be painted, not covered in any material. If the cost varies too much, I understand. Not looking to hold you to it.

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I was just looking for a general idea of what it would cost to do custom tweeters in sails. Nothing fancy, but it would be painted, not covered in any material. If the cost varies too much, I understand. Not looking to hold you to it.
It varies drastically to be honest

·
Registered
5,794 Posts
If you ever want to make a change, work out of my 2 car garage and lose money on every build, you know who to talk to. :) haha

But some seriously nice work. I never got to see the finished Porsche project. When I was up there you guys were mid-build and working on the portion behind the seats. It came out really nice. The Laser has really upped the overall finished product you guys are putting out. Great job.

·
Listener of Music
4,082 Posts
Bravo.

I don't know Nick but I met him at a meet in Syracuse, at another guys shop, explaining away his buddies install, showing pics and talking about working on his old Nissan in his mom's garage.

A now you can post a thread like this.

I'll say again, bravo.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Who ever suggested that you do this.. THANK YOU. lol. Great work man everything is beautiful and flawless. I really enjoy looking at work that has been done to other cars I also like watching your videos on youtube. thumbs up man keep doing what you are doing.

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Bravo.

I don't know Nick but I met him at a meet in Syracuse, at another guys shop, explaining away his buddies install, showing pics and talking about working on his old Nissan in his mom's garage.

A now you can post a thread like this.

I'll say again, bravo.
Ah man, i really miss the meets that Steve would host at Syracuse Customs. Thats kinda where it all started for me.

·
Listener of Music
4,082 Posts
I know me too. He ran some nice shows and a great shop. I actually met him through eBay. I had bought several oldschool things from him. I asked if I could pick up one item while I was out there. When I got to the shop we got to talking and next thing I knew I was attending several events. Good times.

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Registered
2005 Scion xB
57 Posts
I've seen a lot of mediocre installs in the last 20 years. Your pillar and dash work though.. You're on another level! I have huge respect for micro fabrication and the hours of work and thought that goes into each piece. When I see your installs, they always looks oem integrated as if these panels were offered as option from the factory. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
So I am going to say something and I hope you take it as a compliment.

A lot of your older builds had some real quality workmanship but they were really boring. They just kinda looked like any other high dollar install. Nice but unoriginal. Like i could scroll through Diyma builds and find a million just like it.

But looking at these. You have really made your own style and made some one of a kind builds. I especially like the Stingray box and All of the Porsche build. You have really made a Nickche. (mhm)

If i can add some constructive criticism. Not that i could ever do better but idk, sometimes outside opinions help. I think your sail panels grills are a little too copy/paste. You add the emblem or vehicle badge and then add split color design. It definitely gives it an OEM look while also saying this is an Apicella build. But its also kind of copy/paste of your earlier builds imo. Maybe make it out of acrylic and heat form it. Maybe do some kind of different designs like below, or like the micro precision ones.

You can also tell me to **** off. Thats cool too :p

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
So I am going to say something and I hope you take it as a compliment.

A lot of your older builds had some real quality workmanship but they were really boring. They just kinda looked like any other high dollar install. Nice but unoriginal. Like i could scroll through Diyma builds and find a million just like it.

But looking at these. You have really made your own style and made some one of a kind builds. I especially like the Stingray box and All of the Porsche build. You have really made a Nickche. (mhm)

If i can add some constructive criticism. Not that i could ever do better but idk, sometimes outside opinions help. I think your sail panels grills are a little too copy/paste. You add the emblem or vehicle badge and then add split color design. It definitely gives it an OEM look while also saying this is an Apicella build. But its also kind of copy/paste of your earlier builds imo. Maybe make it out of acrylic and heat form it. Maybe do some kind of different designs like below, or like the micro precision ones.

You can also tell me to **** off. Thats cool too :p

I agree with you on both points. I look through my old builds and say "ew" lol. But that, along with some of the new stuff being copy and paste, there is one thing to consider that is mostly responsible for this... the customer's budget. Proper custom fabrication and its design takes much longer than people think (the post I'm about to make right below this took 7 hours just to do the midrange pods), and time equals money. Our labor rate is not cheap by any stretch of the means, so something simple that looks like a lot of other stuff, and something that is totally unique could have a full day or more just due to small differences and details needing to be worked out. Most people aren't willing to pay for it, and that's fine. Most customers do not care that their grill looks the same as another customer's car that I did. They just care that it looks good in their car since that is all that truly matters.

We sell custom fabrication in different "stages" as you can probably tell reading this thread. A "stage-1" A-pillar grill is something that is just a perimeter wrapped in grill cloth. A stage-2 is something like the Honda Accord pillars, where its a super simple design that is just completely laser cut out of acrylic. Stage 3 and 4 we start getting into pressed grills, and additional design elements. I'll be 100% honest about pricing here.. stricly speaking about grills. I have about 1.5 hours of design, cutting, and assemble time into the Honda accord pillar grills. The Subaru Outback ones though, more like 18 hours of design, color match sourcing, fabrication, painting, and assembling. If i have to do a similar design again, im charging at least double what i charged last time. They were much tougher than they look. But anyways, would you as a customer see value in spending 10x as much on a really sick looking and custom grill vs one that is basic but matches? Most people wont. Some people are down for it though because they value that.

·
Registered
5,171 Posts
Quit kissing this skinny dudes @ss. He's a hack.

Just kidding of course :p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nick, your work is impeccable. Thank you for taking the time to put together the build logs and post them. It gives us ideas and something to strive for. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2014 Kia Sorento EX
233 Posts
Nick, your work is extraordinary!

It all looks OEM integrated with class and polish. I'm quite attracted to your aesthetic. While I think flamboyant is neat, you're classy install panache is the best type of candy to my eyes...

Maybe some day I'll get to listen to your work too.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts