DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
if you have any pictures or buildlog documentation of the gt3 sub enclosure that would be awesome to see to peek behind the curtain. especially that sweet grill that still highlights the illusion driver motors

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
if you have any pictures or buildlog documentation of the gt3 sub enclosure that would be awesome to see to peek behind the curtain. especially that sweet grill that still highlights the illusion driver motors
This is all I got.

Reactions: LBaudio

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
How do you mold the acrylic like that? All curved.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
If you read the build log, it should explain, but maybe not. Its been a year. But long story short.. Heat. Lots of it. But not too much, if that makes any sense lol :)
But yeah, read it and it should go into a bit more detail.

·
Registered
3,536 Posts
If you read the build log, it should explain, but maybe not. Its been a year. But long story short.. Heat. Lots of it. But not too much, if that makes any sense lol :)
But yeah, read it and it should go into a bit more detail.
I've been wanting to do an acrylic grill for a subwoofer for a while. But I'd need a lot of heat to really press it. I know you can put acrylic sheets into an oven and then throw them into a 2 piece mold press quickly but.. from what I've read. You don't wanna use a normal oven as acrylic fumes can explode in an sealed environment.

So you need a big fancy special oven with fans n ****

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I've been wanting to do an acrylic grill for a subwoofer for a while. But I'd need a lot of heat to really press it. I know you can put acrylic sheets into an oven and then throw them into a 2 piece mold press quickly but.. from what I've read. You don't wanna use a normal oven as acrylic fumes can explode in an sealed environment.

So you need a big fancy special oven with fans n ****

I used a MAP torch for this

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Member Infinitum
2016 535i Msport
697 Posts
Beyond high end work. Most impressive.

Reactions: SkizeR

·
Registered
19,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Okay, probably tied for my favorite build to date (with the GT3) for a build in a car that I'd want to take home for myself... This one is in a very rare, limited-edition Porsche. This 2012 911 (997.2) Turbo S Edition 918 Spyder (yes, that is the exact name for this spec) is only one of 146 ever made. What's an Edition 918 Spyder? Well, back when Porsche was first debuting their 918 Spyder hypercar, production ended up getting delayed and in order to ease the minds of eager customers who already paid for one, they offered this "Edition 918 Spyder" 911 Turbo S. Only 146 customers took them up on this offer. To date, this is one of my favorite builds. Yes, we have done plenty of really cool sound systems that may up this one, but there is something about driving this car with the top down, turbo spooling, and the system turned to 11 that will put a smile on anyone's face. The end result was truly impressive.

·
Registered
52 Posts
awesome build that center console custom button solution is some slick engineering. the creativity to come up with and then execute in such a polished way is very impressive. i don't think any industrial design engineer would be able to tell it wasn't oem without opening it up.

hows the tactile feel and what would you want to improve in a version 2.0? i know people use mouse button switches for a lot of stuff like this when custom switches are needed as there's all kinds of weights and tactile options from the enthusiast mouse Modder communities and they are compact and have solder pins. that plus some basic breadboard kind of material and you could make simple pcb's if you ever wanted to, some of these kinds of things could be reproduced in quantity and resold on your online store for those that don't want to bring their car to the east coast. just an idea, though I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. you already have the cad files so there's that.

·
New CAJ Member!
479 Posts
Great build! I'm a fan of stealth builds. Not a fan of the absolutely hateful way some OEMs make their doors.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts