DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first joined this forum a little over 3 years ago when I posted a simple question "Do I need a DSP".

Do i need a DSP

At the time I had just purchase a new car and wanted to treat myself to a nice system to go along with it. I posted a couple of options that I had recieved from local shops in NJ where they were going to swap out the front and rear factory components and pop a subwoofer in the trunk with a 5 channel amp to power everything. Most shops insisted that I did not need a DSP for quality sound and none of them talked about deadening, proper Install techniques etc. I got some mixed responses from you guys in this forum and enjoyed seeing everyone go back and forth.

At some Point Nick chimed in, stating that he would price match one of my quotes with the following:

SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-4 Mids
SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G Tweeters
Sound deadening doors with SDS CLD and CCF
Zapco ST-4X SQ - (ENDED UP GOING WITH THE Zapco ST-6X SQ)
ST-850XM II
Audiofrog G subwoofer 12" in a Atrend enclosure
Helix DSP.2
Helix URC.3 Remote control (Add on)

This was the finished product:

At the time, I had never heard of any of the above brands and must admit I was a bit skeptical but so many people in this forum (and other forums) were telling me to go with Nicks proposal. After going back and forth with Nick for a while, I decided to go with Apicella Auto. I still remember driving my car home after having the above Install completed and being amazed at how everything sounded. Over the years I kept in touch with Nick and about a year in, replaced the door speakers with Audiofrog GS60's because the SB's werent holding up to the enviorment in my doors.

After going up to a couple of Nicks events, meeting some really cool people and listening to some really nice set ups, I knew it was time to upgrade. My initial intentions were to JUST add a midrange speaker in the pillars and add a new amp to power them so I wasnt taking anything away from the midbass - BUT something happened :unsure: and I ended up swapping everything out of the car except the 6 channel amp. This is what I ended up getitng installed.

Focal Utopia M 3 way with custom pillars and sail panels
MOSCONI PRO 4|10 4 Channel for Midbass in factory door location
Zapco ST-6X SQ to power the tweeters and midrange
MOSCONI PRO 1|10
Adire Audio Brahma Mk2 12" with new enclosure
Helix DSP3
Helix Conductor
Helix USB interface - So I can bypass the factory head unit
Upgraded wiring, some more deadening etc.

I really did have a nice set up from Nicks 1st Install and enjoyed it for every one of the 87,000 miles I drove in the past 3 years - But NOW, all I can say is WOW!!! I Cant give enough credit to Nick, Matt and the whole crew at Apicella Auto. They did an amazing job and once again completly exceeded my expectations. I cant explain in technical terms the differences but will give it a shot anyway. The Midbass is Sick!! The output seems endless, the low end bass is something I didnt have before and the stage is so much higher, more precise and SOOO detailed.

Big thanks for the guys in this forum who nudged me to let Nick do my 1st Install - Some of you were even taking bets on how long it would take for me to come back for an upgrade. I think I won, since it took over 3 years.

Here is some of the finished product - Sorry for the crappy photos..

THANKS AGAIN NICK...

Car Vehicle Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive design
Mirror Vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive side-view mirror

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design

Vehicle Car Plant Hood Motor vehicle

Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Wow.. thanks John! Man, time really flies. It really seems like yesterday that I was a one man show working out of half a shop and cursing myself for taking that job on while doing the wiring to your amp rack at 10 pm during a snowstorm lol. Thanks for always supporting me.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'll second that. Nick and his crew are hands down the best in the industry. Nick that Conductor placement is Sick!!!

• Love
Reactions: SkizeR and vactor

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I'll second that. Nick and his crew are hands down the best in the industry. Nick that Conductor placement is Sick!!!
Ayyy thanks :)

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Heres the pics from the updated build. No captions yet as of now, but enjoy :)

updated to Focal Utopia M 3-way, Adire Audio Brahma Mk2.5a 12", Mosconi Pro 4|10 and 1|10 added.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Build log updated :)

Reactions: vactor

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I think I listened to your car at one of Nicks meets when you had the AF GS60. If it was you then you were the guy who had one of the midbass drivers making a sound. Other than this that was a very good sounding two way. The tuning was spot on.

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
I think I listened to your car at one of Nicks meets when you had the AF GS60. If it was you then you were the guy who had one of the midbass drivers making a sound. Other than this that was a very good sounding two way. The tuning was spot on.
yup, that was him. One GS60 seemed to have an issue.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I first joined this forum a little over 3 years ago when I posted a simple question "Do I need a DSP".

Do i need a DSP

At the time I had just purchase a new car and wanted to treat myself to a nice system to go along with it. I posted a couple of options that I had recieved from local shops in NJ where they were going to swap out the front and rear factory components and pop a subwoofer in the trunk with a 5 channel amp to power everything. Most shops insisted that I did not need a DSP for quality sound and none of them talked about deadening, proper Install techniques etc. I got some mixed responses from you guys in this forum and enjoyed seeing everyone go back and forth.

At some Point Nick chimed in, stating that he would price match one of my quotes with the following:

SB Acoustics SB17CRC35-4 Mids
SEAS Prestige 27TFFNC/G Tweeters
Sound deadening doors with SDS CLD and CCF
Zapco ST-4X SQ - (ENDED UP GOING WITH THE Zapco ST-6X SQ)
ST-850XM II
Audiofrog G subwoofer 12" in a Atrend enclosure
Helix DSP.2
Helix URC.3 Remote control (Add on)

This was the finished product:

At the time, I had never heard of any of the above brands and must admit I was a bit skeptical but so many people in this forum (and other forums) were telling me to go with Nicks proposal. After going back and forth with Nick for a while, I decided to go with Apicella Auto. I still remember driving my car home after having the above Install completed and being amazed at how everything sounded. Over the years I kept in touch with Nick and about a year in, replaced the door speakers with Audiofrog GS60's because the SB's werent holding up to the enviorment in my doors.

After going up to a couple of Nicks events, meeting some really cool people and listening to some really nice set ups, I knew it was time to upgrade. My initial intentions were to JUST add a midrange speaker in the pillars and add a new amp to power them so I wasnt taking anything away from the midbass - BUT something happened :unsure: and I ended up swapping everything out of the car except the 6 channel amp. This is what I ended up getitng installed.

Focal Utopia M 3 way with custom pillars and sail panels
MOSCONI PRO 4|10 4 Channel for Midbass in factory door location
Zapco ST-6X SQ to power the tweeters and midrange
MOSCONI PRO 1|10
Adire Audio Brahma Mk2 12" with new enclosure
Helix DSP3
Helix Conductor
Helix USB interface - So I can bypass the factory head unit
Upgraded wiring, some more deadening etc.

I really did have a nice set up from Nicks 1st Install and enjoyed it for every one of the 87,000 miles I drove in the past 3 years - But NOW, all I can say is WOW!!! I Cant give enough credit to Nick, Matt and the whole crew at Apicella Auto. They did an amazing job and once again completly exceeded my expectations. I cant explain in technical terms the differences but will give it a shot anyway. The Midbass is Sick!! The output seems endless, the low end bass is something I didnt have before and the stage is so much higher, more precise and SOOO detailed.

Big thanks for the guys in this forum who nudged me to let Nick do my 1st Install - Some of you were even taking bets on how long it would take for me to come back for an upgrade. I think I won, since it took over 3 years.

Here is some of the finished product - Sorry for the crappy photos..

THANKS AGAIN NICK...

View attachment 310662 View attachment 310663
View attachment 310665
View attachment 310666
View attachment 310672
Awesome! I have a Brahma on its way to me right now. The decision was based off of Nick’s experience with a recent build that may have been your car. I’m excited to get it installed. Enjoy the new upgrade!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Yeah, that was me and I'm pretty sure my volume knob was the issue. I pushed those speakers hard for over 2 years.😁 it was fun...
Eh, maybe. But we had em crossed at like 105hz 24db. Shouldnt have been an issue

Reactions: THX0849

·
Registered
209 Posts
Nick,
Do you recall the Brahma enclosure volume and did you make the grill? I’m having the same sub installed this weekend.

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Nick,
Do you recall the Brahma enclosure volume and did you make the grill? I’m having the same sub installed this weekend.

Thanks,
James
0.6 cubic feet after displacement. flat down to 18hz including the cars signal low-end roll off :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
0.6 cubic feet after displacement. flat down to 18hz including the cars signal low-end roll off :)
Very interesting. I have a very large cabin (tundra crew cab), so I’m not sure how much that would change the measurements. Do you think 1 cu ft net of displacement in a much larger car cabin would deliver a similar result to the 0.6 in the build in this thread?

Thanks for your input and awesome work!

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Very interesting. I have a very large cabin (tundra crew cab), so I’m not sure how much that would change the measurements. Do you think 1 cu ft net of displacement in a much larger car cabin would deliver a similar result to the 0.6 in the build in this thread?

Thanks for your input and awesome work!
Going larger is almost always nice. go for it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts