DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

181 - 200 of 229 Posts

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
Does anyone have the APL1012 and is using a car audio head unit as their source, with analog inputs into the APL?

I’m considering the 1012 with a Sony RSX-GS9 as the source, running analog RCA from the Sony.

I’m curious about the input voltage range on the APL1012.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I currently use it with analog input from a P99. Never bothered to check the output levels so I run mine on 58/62 volume on my P99 for some small headroom, no distortion on the output of APL. Can't say exactly how far you can push it though. I would assume it handles a 4V input.

·
Registered
861 Posts
HTML:
Waiting for warmer weather to install mine, still hoping someone makes a video tutorial of the process. Not that I couldn't fumble my way through, but helpful visual tips along the way by those more savy would help tremendously. I still have trouble figuring out TDA :blush:

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Waiting for warmer weather to install mine, still hoping someone makes a video tutorial of the process. Not that I couldn't fumble my way through, but helpful visual tips along the way by those more savy would help tremendously. I still have trouble figuring out TDA :blush:

It is significantly more advanced/difficult than using the APL1, which was already very difficult for many people. Just a forewarning :blush:

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Someone want to do me a solid and see if the iPhone will work with the usb input?! Raimonds didn’t know.

Dear Friends, yes, please, let's test is iPhone working with HD USB input.
It works with W10, MAC OS version 10.6.4 and above,Linux with UAC2 compliant kernel.
But iPhone?

Sorry for the delay in response. The answer to this question is yes. You can connect an iPhone/iPad device with the camera connection kit part to extract digital signal sent over usb into the unit and play audio files with the player app on your device.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
Ive never used fir filters

So they always go by 4th order?
Better google FIR and IIR.
They are different beasts.

A large tap fir is more like a 20 or 100th order.

The phase of a FIR can be zero phase, which is more interesting than the steepness.

·
http://*****aplaudio*****/
122 Posts
Does it has 2nd order crossovers? Or only runs in 4th and 8th
Thanks for the question!
Filters can be any kind that you can image and create as the unit is FIR machine.
C5 program`s Crossover tab offers 4th and 8th order as mostly usable crossover filters.
But you can use Parametric EQ to create even 2nd order filters by use of respective HP and LP filters. Please find pictures attached!
You can create any kind of your custom curve by use of any tool you like that exports FIR filters in wave format files. But it will be not easy to manage all that.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
Does anyone have the APL1012 and is using a car audio head unit as their source, with analog inputs into the APL?

I’m considering the 1012 with a Sony RSX-GS9 as the source, running analog RCA from the Sony.

I’m curious about the input voltage range on the APL1012.

John-

The manual states “-10dBV” “+4dBu” for input.

There are 2 jumper positions on the PCB for input sensitivity to switch between these. There are also 2 other methods for adjusting in a different way. The volume potentiometer is inserted close to the input in the PCB design so it can act as a sort of input gain adjustment as well. Finally, you can adjust the "EQ Zero Level" on the actual individual workshop measurements to lower the gain as well. Although this last method is making the adjustment in software, not hardware- so if you were to put the APL1012 in "bypass" mode, that reduction in gain would not be there, causing you to have more volume in bypass mode vs enabled.

·
Premium Member
3,001 Posts
There goes another 3hrs of my life , I missed this completely
I can see this definitely does more than the opendrcda8
Which I’m about to purchase (maybe I need to rethink)

This might be good for what I want to do

Is this LPCM?
It was a chin scratcher for me too.
One can, in theory, remove reflections with a FIR.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
For rear fill, you need to mix the left and right inputs together into a mono signal, with one of the inputs polarity inverted.

So, Left + and Right - mixed to the left rear speaker.

Then, Right + and Left - going to the right rear speaker.

Doing this will phase cancel any of the center stage information from the audio signal, leaving only the far left and right stage sounds.

Then you will need a ton of delay. More than 30 ms is a good start.

I don’t know if the APL 1012 is capable of doing a proper L-R, R-L mixed mono output?

Worst case, you can do this with a little miniDSP box for $200.

Isn’t tjat the same as hooking up just the positives of a 2ch amp to a speaker?
Like echoing backgrounds, or is that what hanatsu is saying quadraphonic

Can always physically connect speakers in 70’s fashion ”quadrophonic mode”. I’ve done it without mono mixing before, I swapped channels and inverted one. Can’t think of a good way of doing it on this DSP.

I’m going with the ”signal difference” thing. Psuedo rear ambience or whatever it’s called

Edit; (As spl said above, tapatalk keeps bugging can’t see all posts...)

·
Registered
5,513 Posts
This 10 channel can be thought of as 5 APL1's in a single chassis pcb design with some additional (great) dsp features.

181 - 200 of 229 Posts