DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, after days of searching the web and this forum (where I found partial answers) I need to start this thread as I can not believe I am the only one ever searching this way. My basic two needs for my Opel/Vauxhall Astra J system are: a) use the iPhone as a digital music source utilising the best possible bit rate output and b) at the same time be able to use the HU Apple Car play capability. In other words, listen to hi(gher)-res music streamed from iPhone while navigating with Waze and receiving BT phone calls on the HU. Now, if I was targeting solely for the SQ, I would simply connect the iPhone to the external DAC and call it a day. But when I need to use the iPhone lightning connector for the Apple Car play connection, external DAC is not an option, from what I've researched. I guess in this case I am dependant on the HU's DAC quality and bit rate it handles in the Apple Car play mode - which I need to start researching at Alpine, KENWOOD and other hi-spec HU manufacturers.

I would like to ask you about your thoughts and recommendations on this. Thank you.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I run android auto for nav, phone calls and daily driving, but can switch to digital coax input with a push of a button front a fiio DAC for reference listening. Best of both worlds imho

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I run android auto for nav, phone calls and daily driving, but can switch to digital coax input with a push of a button front a fiio DAC for reference listening. Best of both worlds imho
Sounds promising, can you please go into more detail about your setup - HU, phone, where do you stream your files from, how your input switch works?

·
Registered
2016 Silverado
144 Posts
This is one area where Apple just really misses the mark. And I have been all Apple since 2009.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
There are others here who do this multiple ways. You CAN use an external DAC or Digital Bridge at the same time. It's the one huge advantage to using USB is the bidirectional ability to use multiple devices simultaneously. My personal setup is with a USB hub (vs the Apple OTG adapter) because I use both Android and Apple products.

The biggest issue is making sure the Hub has the Wattage needed to power everything at the same time.

Here's one of the 100s of USB hubs that will d: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0874M3KW4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_imm_QJAHP3H9AWR0WM9WB1CG

How it works for you depends on which HU/DSP and phone you use. Mine works with Samsung Galaxy and iPhone 11 on Factory HU's in both Jeep and Honda with Helix DSPs and a Kenwood HU in a '95 Ford F150.

With the Helix installs the auto source switching in the DSP along with the phone automatically interrupting streaming during phone calls makes the transition from streaming to BT phone calls totally seamless.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)

With the Helix installs the auto source switching in the DSP along with the phone automatically interrupting streaming during phone calls makes the transition from streaming to BT phone calls totally seamless.

Dang! You can use an USB hub with an iPhone to split the signal for either a DAC and Apple Car play??? :) That is very clever and I never see that one coming... 👍 Thank you a lot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

One more thing, do you use external DAC in your setup and what do you stream from?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the apple music lossless feature isn't available to the public yet so we don't know how it'll interact with carplay.
I know, I was talking about streaming ALACs through Music app and DSDs through VOX app... 🤔

·
Registered
2016 GMC Sierra
328 Posts
for lossless content, i do the plexamp or the onkyo hf player through carplay. i used to do the usb dac->spdif thing for a couple years. it's tough to live with daily.
Plexamp is pretty good on CarPlay too. Doppler is another good app if you like preloading your music on your device

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
One more thing, do you use external DAC in your setup and what do you stream from?
I have tested with an expensive DAC but found it was an extra layer of D/A conversion that was unnecessary.

I use the Douk Audio U2 as a digital bridge to convert the digital from USB to optical for the Helix Mini (which does not have digital coax like its bigger siblings) and I use Amazon for streaming and UAPP for downloaded content on memory cards that plug in to the USB hub.

Eventually I plan to go HEC USB input but I've never got around to that yet.

·
Registered
2016 Silverado
144 Posts
Sorry, should have clarified my statement.
I run Qobuz only as I walked away from Tidal recently. But didn’t have issues when I played Tidal via Bluetooth. I run CarPlay now with QB and no issues ( with their app)

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Afaik You can’t run via carplay ‘and’ a usb device like a topping d10s or douk audio at the same time… a hub won’t work as far as I know, the phone diverts audio through the carplay device by default and you can’t change that afaik apart from to an Apple airplay streaming device in options (well it came up for a second and disappeared… but that may have been range…)

happy to be shown otherwise… but a headunit with carplay has to have a dedicated line to the stereo as far as I know… not sure how a hub will connect female to female and conform to usb protocols in the headunit?

also why would you want a dac in the system when most dsps have a digital input direct? ie optical or coax for example… less conversions is always best for my ears, I get the convenience aspect though… but I just fitted an iPad mini in my car so I have a 7.6” touchscreen in my dash above a double din radio with carplay for calls and google maps… otherwise that’s all it gets used for

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Afaik You can’t run via carplay ‘and’ a usb device like a topping d10s or douk audio at the same time… a hub won’t work as far as I know, the phone diverts audio through the carplay device by default and you can’t change that afaik apart from to an Apple airplay streaming device in options (well it came up for a second and disappeared… but that may have been range…)

happy to be shown otherwise… but a headunit with carplay has to have a dedicated line to the stereo as far as I know… not sure how a hub will connect female to female and conform to usb protocols in the headunit?

also why would you want a dac in the system when most dsps have a digital input direct? ie optical or coax for example… less conversions is always best for my ears, I get the convenience aspect though… but I just fitted an iPad mini in my car so I have a 7.6” touchscreen in my dash above a double din radio with carplay for calls and google maps… otherwise that’s all it gets used for
I run CarPlay (albeit wireless) and use the camera connection/topping D10 for optical to my Helix. I get the convenience of track control, etc w.HU via CarPlay, but signal is routed through Topping to DSP.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I run CarPlay (albeit wireless) and use the camera connection/topping D10 for optical to my Helix. I get the convenience of track control, etc w.HU via CarPlay, but signal is routed through Topping to DSP.
That is a nice setup, I have done a similar thing previous with Bluetooth and the hu with a topping, my comment was aimed at the wired connection and daloudin who said he used a hub… but I think he meant with android… I don’t know of a hub for a lightening connection that would allow carplay and a spdif bridge connection also, but I await him wandering along as I’m curious if he has managed it or if the hub was android based

I have done handsfree bluetooth with auto switching in a helix, that’s not an issue with a topping connected 👍🏼 It works well and it sounds like wireless carplay does similar

1 - 20 of 26 Posts