DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I typically load all the lossless I have onto an SD card and insert it into the head unit for playback. I also have plexamp and another music app on my phone, but the SD card works just fine.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
That is a nice setup, I have done a similar thing previous with Bluetooth and the hu with a topping, my comment was aimed at the wired connection and daloudin who said he used a hub… but I think he meant with android… I don’t know of a hub for a lightening connection that would allow carplay and a spdif bridge connection also, but I await him wandering along as I’m curious if he has managed it or if the hub was android based

I have done handsfree bluetooth with auto switching in a helix, that’s not an issue with a topping connected It works well and it sounds like wireless carplay does similar
Yes - the hub works with Apple iPhone 11 (for Amazon HD and Apple Music) either with the Douk Audio U2 and Carplay over BT or as a straight wired connection without the U2 and using analog inputs to the Helix. This is on a cheap Soundstream HU with a capacitive touchscreen in a Honda Pilot. It's not a real SQ system - it's as simple as possible with 5 ¼ coax in the doors and a 10" Sub in the factory location run by a 5 channel amp. The wife's daily driver.

The SQ system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee uses the factory HU which does not have Carplay. So that's not a factor there... the Jeep is primarily used with Android but has been tested to work with Apple on trips.

The digital 24 bit connection is obviously better SQ wise to everyone that I've shown the difference to but for casual listening with 2-5 (or 7 in the Pilot) people in the car it's overkill so we usually revert back to straight USB, Aux or BT to the HU on those occasions. The Hub and the U2 are only used for demos and when I'm commuting by myself.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Silverado
164 Posts
Listened to some today and was pleasantly surprised. Until Apple took a doo doo and some crazy loud white noise came through in the middle of the song and Apple Music crashed. Hmm

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Listened to some today and was pleasantly surprised. Until Apple took a doo doo and some crazy loud white noise came through in the middle of the song and Apple Music crashed. Hmm
Oddly enough I had the same issue with like a really loud digital distortion…

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Yes - the hub works with Apple iPhone 11 (for Amazon HD and Apple Music) either with the Douk Audio U2 and Carplay over BT or as a straight wired connection without the U2 and using analog inputs to the Helix. This is on a cheap Soundstream HU with a capacitive touchscreen in a Honda Pilot. It's not a real SQ system - it's as simple as possible with 5 ¼ coax in the doors and a 10" Sub in the factory location run by a 5 channel amp. The wife's daily driver.

The SQ system in my Jeep Grand Cherokee uses the factory HU which does not have Carplay. So that's not a factor there... the Jeep is primarily used with Android but has been tested to work with Apple on trips.

The digital 24 bit connection is obviously better SQ wise to everyone that I've shown the difference to but for casual listening with 2-5 (or 7 in the Pilot) people in the car it's overkill so we usually revert back to straight USB, Aux or BT to the HU on those occasions. The Hub and the U2 are only used for demos and when I'm commuting by myself.

Carplay doesn’t work over bt, do you mean wireless carplay which is over wifi? Or is it just Bluetooth control which isn’t carplay and I also know works… what I’m saying is you can’t use wired carplay and a dac or spdif bridge at the same time, so you don’t need a hub, just a camera connection kit 3 as you can only connect one device at a time to the Apple as an audio device 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Carplay doesn’t work over bt, do you mean wireless carplay which is over wifi? Or is it just Bluetooth control which isn’t carplay and I also know works… what I’m saying is you can’t use wired carplay and a dac or spdif bridge at the same time, so you don’t need a hub, just a camera connection kit 3 as you can only connect one device at a time to the Apple as an audio device
Hmm... I'll have to test to find out about the wired Carplay and USB Audio Device.

The one time that I hooked up the hub in the Honda it worked to send digital direct to the Helix and Carplay still worked to change tracks but I honestly can't say what the Carplay connection was since it's automatic and I did connect the hub to USB on the HU - whether that was a wired connection or something wireless I can't say since changing tracks was the extent of my testing with Carplay since my wife couldn't care less about the SQ difference and was horrified at all the wires I had running in every direction so we called it quits and she's very happy with analog outs to the Helix.

I'm definitely in agreement that you can't output audio to two different devices simultaneously (don't think Android can do this either but I've never tried) regardless of methodology. You've actually made me curious about the parallel audio though and I'm wondering if using the hub would allow two DACs to be able to decode one steam simultaneously... not sure why you'd want to (unless you were doing some critical a/b comparison listening) but it's an interesting thought.

FWIW - to the best of my knowledge the Apple CCK3 is a powered hub that uses the lightning adapter for power but I've never really researched it much cause the regular powered hubs that I already own have always done everything I needed to do with any Apple product.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Curious about this also Daloudin....great that you could still change tracks on the headunit via carplay....I'd imagine volume would have to be via the helix DRC? If your running an older HU I'd also imagine it doesn't have wireless carplay.
Might take the jump and order hub & usb to SPDIF and give it a whirl.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Curious about this also Daloudin....great that you could still change tracks on the headunit via carplay....I'd imagine volume would have to be via the helix DRC? If your running an older HU I'd also imagine it doesn't have wireless carplay.
Might take the jump and order hub & usb to SPDIF and give it a whirl.
I suspect it wasn’t carplay, but Bluetooth on the stereo, I have done this and it works very well, giving me steering wheel remote for the phone also 👍🏼

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hit a road block. I'm still running a vintage bit.1 dsp & just read this in the manual -
"If digital signals at frequency higher than 48 kHz (96 - 192 kHz) are supplied, the bit One locks up. In that case, turn the bit One off, supply the adequate signal and turn it on again."
Damn you audison. Good incentive to sell excess audio gear and spring for a new dsp.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Hit a road block. I'm still running a vintage bit.1 dsp & just read this in the manual -
"If digital signals at frequency higher than 48 kHz (96 - 192 kHz) are supplied, the bit One locks up. In that case, turn the bit One off, supply the adequate signal and turn it on again."
Damn you audison. Good incentive to sell excess audio gear and spring for a new dsp.
Depending on your music app you can select the bit rate to match your DSP :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 30 of 30 Posts