DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering buying an image dynamics idq10d2v3 or idq12d2v3. would the 10" or 12" be better? their specs say that the 10" has a lower Fs than the 12". does that mean the 10" will hit lower notes better?

also, how is the Arc10D2 or Arc12D2 compared to the IDQ10 and IDQ12 subs? is it true that they are the same sub but with more xmax and better low end? i might be wrong in my assumptions and am just posting this thread asking for clarification and recommendation for the best sq setup out of these options.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
From my understanding is that the IDQ v3 is totally different than the ARC series. The ARC series were the beefed up versions of the IDQ v2 before, unsure if the build house is the same now though.

I honestly never liked the IDQ V3 compared to the IDQ V2....if you want a more durable woofer that can take some punishment an get loud then I would do the ARC. I would get whatever size fits your enclosure requirements and space the best

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i am just looking for what sounds the best, has the best sound quality. i'm looking for a sq oriented setup that has the tightest, punchiest, most accurate bass. i thought that the IDQ V3 is an IDQ V2 but louder. is that right? do Arc's sound the same as IDQ's?

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
didnt like the v3s much, prefer idq v2. Plus the v3 logo tends to fall off.

The arc I never got to try but I would over a idqv3

·
Registered
897 Posts
Both are amazing subs, their record among many top SQ competitors speaks for itself. IDQV2 sound stellar but easy to hit limits with lower power handling due to lower xmax. The V3's to me are a beefed up V2, though not as efficient but higher power handling and more ouput. I prefer the V3. It's just a better built sub all around and they also have the capability to be reconed rather easily. Sound between the 2? Probably to close to call for me and might be more dependent on what kind of power you will be using.

Reactions: Speedhunter

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
You may also want to consider Peerless XXLS or better its "made-in-europe" Scanspeak Discovery edition. These are very good subwoofers for SQ. I don't know if anyone compared these with IDQ v3 head to head, but I believe it was mentioned that XXLS sounds better than IDQv2 (good tight SQ, but XXLS digs deeper). These are 4ohm SVC subwoofers, with modest power requirement. ~300watts should be sufficient.

Indeed, I am curious myself which would sound better.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
You may also want to consider Peerless XXLS or better its "made-in-europe" Scanspeak Discovery edition. These are very good subwoofers for SQ. I don't know if anyone compared these with IDQ v3 head to head, but I believe it was mentioned that XXLS sounds better than IDQv2 (good tight SQ, but XXLS digs deeper). These are 4ohm SVC subwoofers, with modest power requirement. ~300watts should be sufficient.

Indeed, I am curious myself which would sound better.
I compared a v2 and xxls. Both sounded good but peerless needs a larger enclosure or a passive radiator. If enclosure size isnt an issue, the peerlessnis a nice sub. I used the v2 because 1 cuft sealed was too small for the xxls 12.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
anybody know why the IDQ10 has a lower Fs than the IDQ12?

are the new Arc subs still the same as their older ones? (are they still modeled after the IDQ v2, or are they now modeled after the IDQ v3?)

why do people prefer IDQ v2 over v3?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anybody know why the IDQ10 has a lower Fs than the IDQ12?

are the new Arc subs still the same as their older ones? (are they still modeled after the IDQ v2, or are they now modeled after the IDQ v3?)

why do people prefer IDQ v2 over v3?
can anyone answer these questions and would you suggest a new Arc sub or a IDQ v3 and why?

·
Registered
8,988 Posts
The Arc isn't modeled after the v3. ID doesn't exist anymore but once ID started the v3s the Arcs have been different. The Arcs are more of a very beefed up version of their previous model. The Arc still sounds better than the IDs did. If you can swing the price, the Arc Black is a great sub, but so is a JBL W12GTi. 1-1.5cf is fantastic on these. Another option is the SI BM MkIII. If you can find one.

·
Registered
897 Posts
^^^ did he say ID doesn't exist anymore?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just built an IDQ D4 v2 in a .7 cu ft sealed box and it sounds fantastic.

right now i have it powered by an old RF P4002 @ 8 ohms

Previously i had some JL 8w6s in there and this thing blows them out of the water

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
are you sure you are not comparing the Arc subs to IDQ v2? because v3 has higher power handling than v2, and i was asking for comparison between v3 and Arc, not v2 and Arc.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.