DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there, punch here. So I have so more questions for you old heads from a noob that is looking to expand his knowledge in the field of car audio:

1.) I just got a mini DSP and it has 2 input channels, my head unit can do up to 3 but I am using NONE of my head unit's processing, so should I just run 1 channel from the head unit to the dsp and sort it out from there?

2.) I have looked a bit but can not find this on youtube so I apologize if this is a dead horse: How do I wire the phoenix connector for my MiniDSP? I have never done a phoenix connector before and am looking at it like its an inter-dimensional alien genital or something.

3.) Does deadening a door with damplifier pro/ Dynamat/ Whatever increase or have any effect on the midbass? or is it just to cut down on reverberations caused by subsonic frequencies IE the Sub?

4.) Dose using a multi-meter to see when voltage stops rising a good way to see what an amp's clipping ceiling is? I just bought an NVX amp at the advice of a forum member here and have read on other sources that the amp can fry speakers and can easily be driven to clipping inaudibly. I just want to make sure the Hertz SV 165.1's I just bought don't get shredded.. :\

PUNCH!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
5.) I have some power distribution blocks, but I am out of outputs, can I just plug the power for the dsp to one of the outs that an amp's power is already coming out of?

Thanks for the help, for reals guys!

PUNCH!

· Registered
2,014 Posts
Hi there, punch here. So I have so more questions for you old heads from a noob that is looking to expand his knowledge in the field of car audio:

1.) I just got a mini DSP and it has 2 input channels, my head unit can do up to 3 but I am using NONE of my head unit's processing, so should I just run 1 channel from the head unit to the dsp and sort it out from there?

2.) I have looked a bit but can not find this on youtube so I apologize if this is a dead horse: How do I wire the phoenix connector for my MiniDSP? I have never done a phoenix connector before and am looking at it like its an inter-dimensional alien genital or something.

3.) Does deadening a door with damplifier pro/ Dynamat/ Whatever increase or have any effect on the midbass? or is it just to cut down on reverberations caused by subsonic frequencies IE the Sub?

4.) Dose using a multi-meter to see when voltage stops rising a good way to see what an amp's clipping ceiling is? I just bought an NVX amp at the advice of a forum member here and have read on other sources that the amp can fry speakers and can easily be driven to clipping inaudibly. I just want to make sure the Hertz SV 165.1's I just bought don't get shredded.. :\

PUNCH!
1) 2 channels input is a must to keep left/right stereo

3) not so much deadening, but sealing a door properly will increase midbass output and function

4) no, amplifier voltage will continue to rise no matter if it's reached clipping or not.

· Wave Shepherd
2,659 Posts
nineball76 has some great responses to your questions. I'll add a little more.

2) Are you unsure how to use a phoenix connector? Or are you unsure which wire goes where? The images at the BCAE1 website below show which is the positive (center) and which is the negative (shield) on an RCA cable. Connect them to the + and - terminals on the phoenix. Depending on your gear, you might also want to add a jumper wire on each connector between the - and S pins on the phoenix. The video below is for a different piece of gear, but the concepts are the same. Note the video uses a 3-wire cable, and you will likely not..

RCA Cable Construction bcae1 (click me)

4) If you are comfortable making a very simple circuit on a breadboard (3 pieces) then you can make a peak holding circuit. See my post here (click me) for some explanation, and even if you don't build anything, check the link I posted to see the interactive demo of how voltages change during clipping and while using the circuit. That page is full of great information.

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I was going to use the two channels, lol. What I meant was is using all 4 outputs necessary? or can I just use the two?

So I just connect the + to a wire going to my power distribution block and the - to my ground block and the headunit turn on into the next and then jump it to other amps using the final hole? With a wire on each?

Also, how do I edit my signature to have a diagram of my setup like ive seen some people do?

PUNCH!

· Wave Shepherd
2,659 Posts
I was going to use the two channels, lol. What I meant was is using all 4 outputs necessary? or can I just use the two?

So I just connect the + to a wire going to my power distribution block and the - to my ground block and the headunit turn on into the next and then jump it to other amps using the final hole? With a wire on each?

Also, how do I edit my signature to have a diagram of my setup like ive seen some people do?

PUNCH!
You might not need to use all four channels to feed the MiniDSP. It depends on what you are trying to do. Most people only use a single stereo pair from the radio to the processor.

The + for powering the MiniDSP can come from any nearby positive leads including a short jumper from your amplifier or whatever equipment is nearby. The best way to do it is to add a small fuse where you tap into whatever source so you can protect the smaller wire that will run to the MiniDSP. You can similarly ground the MiniDSP to whatever is grounded nearby.

I don't quite follow what you want to do about the remote leads.

I'm pretty sure SkizeR is making equipment diagrams. Take a look at this thread over here (click me).

POW!

· Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well, I am a graphic designer in my free time an I had some ideas for improvements on that sig form anywho, so I may just make up my own! :)

Thanks for all the timely answers! As far as the remote lead I just meant I go from the last slot on the plug (remote out) to my sub amp and daisy chain to my mid/low then there to mids and mids to tweets, right? Should I be using a relay? I have one but I couldn't get it to work..

How to I add a fuse to that line? Just a small fuse holder?

PUNCH!

· Wave Shepherd
2,659 Posts
You can daisy chain the remote leads if you like. Nothing terrible should happen other than stuff not turning on reliably. If that is the case, then using a relay would be better.

To add a fuse, you can get a small inline fuse holder. Most automotive stores will have these, or whatever your local equivalent of Radio Shack is out there on Da Moon. You can also find them at car audio shops or the car audio install bays of big box stores like Best Buy. They can some in many shapes, this style is pretty popular. You cut the loop of wire and attach voltage to one end and your equipment to the other end. You'll want to replace whatever fuse comes with it since it will be too large to protect whatever tiny wire you use to power the MiniDSP.

· Wave Shepherd
2,659 Posts
That depends entirely on the smallest gauge wire that will be downstream of the fuse. For clarity, assume the inline fuse holder is 8ga wire. So if you add one of these inline fuse holders to wherever, and then tack on a piece of 18ga wire to the end of the 8ga wire so you can get the power to the MiniDSP phoenix connector a little easier, you would want to choose a fuse to protect the 18ga wire, which would be around 3-5 amps or so if you want to play it safe. Plus, the MiniDSP doesn't need a bunch of power so you're not going to loose anything by using a tiny fuse.

Try reading more at the page below.
Actually, read everything on every page there.
FUSES

KAPOW!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.