DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just pulled the trigger on some drop in replacement speakers and just hoping the highs will be bright.

Never owned any focal. Loved my JL C5 650s though.

It's hard to find anyone else who has a mercedes W221 S550 with the HK system that has done any upgrade to compare it to. So kinda just guessing and hoping the Focals will improve the sound.

· Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
199 Posts
I used to own a set of Focal K2 speakers(3 way system with 1" tweeter, 3" midrange, and 6"midbass) and I thought they were real good (although I did eventually destroy the midbasses). The only reason why I don't still have them is because they weren't loud enough for my SPL system since I am a volume maniac. I find Focal makes really good speakers but just remember that a DSP is important too. My K2 speakers didn't really impress me that much until I got the Audison bitOne DSP unit installed and my system tuned. That is when they really came alive and sounded good...it played all my metal music such as Metallica and Pantera really well. Overall, I would say yes, they are good speakers but just make sure they get enough power and I would seriously consider using a DSP unit to really make the music sparkle. I have the Helix DSP.3 now but I would say any good quality DSP unit should work. Good luck and I hope your sound improves tremendously.

· Registered
1,169 Posts
Many love them… many don’t

i am not a fan, even listened to their $200k plus home speakers (I can’t afford them, friend owns a audio shop) and they didn’t do anything for me.

‘I am also not a fan of overly bright speakers…. My hertz Mille ml280’s sounded good to slightly bright in my Saab viggen powered by Phoenix gold elite.4 amp, Now they are in my Jeep Wrangler JKU powered from a audiocontrol L6.1200 and they are way to bright for me.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I used to own a set of Focal K2 speakers(3 way system with 1" tweeter, 3" midrange, and 6"midbass) and I thought they were real good (although I did eventually destroy the midbasses). The only reason why I don't still have them is because they weren't loud enough for my SPL system since I am a volume maniac. I find Focal makes really good speakers but just remember that a DSP is important too. My K2 speakers didn't really impress me that much until I got the Audison bitOne DSP unit installed and my system tuned. That is when they really came alive and sounded good...it played all my metal music such as Metallica and Pantera really well. Overall, I would say yes, they are good speakers but just make sure they get enough power and I would seriously consider using a DSP unit to really make the music sparkle. I have the Helix DSP.3 now but I would say any good quality DSP unit should work. Good luck and I hope your sound improves tremendously.

Can't (won't) do a DSP. I have a DSP I bought for another car but in the S550 it's fiber optic to the amp and it has it's own DSP. I love the way everything sounds in it already and it gets pretty low although I eventually will add a sub.

Just the highs aren't very crisp.

I also just found out two bad things anyway that may put me back to the drawing board.

One the order from two days ago....they just emailed an stated that they are on backorder and that I can either wait (no date specified) or I can choose another item.....if they don't cancel the order I see a charge back coming.

Second the drop in Focal Components are for a W222 not a W221 (I have a W221). So I have to do some research.
I just want a little brighter highs and then down the road add a sub off the sub channel. Adding the sub will be pretty simple once I get around to it.

Apparently finding drop in speaker is the bigger challenge.

· Registered
2007 Dodge Charger SXT
199 Posts
Can't (won't) do a DSP. I have a DSP I bought for another car but in the S550 it's fiber optic to the amp and it has it's own DSP. I love the way everything sounds in it already and it gets pretty low although I eventually will add a sub.

Just the highs aren't very crisp.

I also just found out two bad things anyway that may put me back to the drawing board.

One the order from two days ago....they just emailed an stated that they are on backorder and that I can either wait (no date specified) or I can choose another item.....if they don't cancel the order I see a charge back coming.

Second the drop in Focal Components are for a W222 not a W221 (I have a W221). So I have to do some research.
I just want a little brighter highs and then down the road add a sub off the sub channel. Adding the sub will be pretty simple once I get around to it.

Apparently finding drop in speaker is the bigger challenge.
If you already have a DSP then you're good there.

I'm sorry that the Focal components won't work for your W221. I do hope you find some speakers that will work for what you want, and I hope you can find some tweeters that will give you the crisp highs you're looking for. Good luck!!!

· Registered
801 Posts
I believe the access/auditor level factory drop ins focal makes are bleh/pale in comparison to their truely good drivers, eg flax series. Couild be wrong though.

· Registered
3,058 Posts
good drivers, especially from FLAX series and up. With RTA and REW you should be able to make them sound as they are supposed to.
I have respect toward manufacturers who have their drivers built with their R&D and in their facilitys.... (JBL, Dynaudio,Focal, ScanSpeak,...manufacturers with decades worth of experiences... no rebrand **** for me)

· Registered
620 Posts
S550 with B&O system?
Then do a Pac-Audio AmpPro or an idatalink Maestro AR or DSR1.

· Registered
2,648 Posts
Yes, just depends on the series. Basically Flax up. Some dont like the tweeters but I think the tweeters sound much better they higher you go up in the line. The last time I listened to them at my local dealer, I like the midbass of the Flax line, but didnt like the tweeter. They were looking to see if I could do ala cart so to speak.

· Registered
276 Posts
I have been more than happy with my 6.5" K2s as well as my Focal K2 E 30KX sub. Not a fan of any of their tweeters...too harsh for my old ears.

· Registered
2,470 Posts
I’ve used their K2 and Utopia lines exclusively for over a decade…the new Utopia M stuff is incredible.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well......luckily they cancelled the order.

But I spoke to focal and the benz drop in speaker are in no way adaptable to the W221 they said. And I was thinking about just ordering them from crutchfield and trying to modify them to work but the ohms may be different from the w221 and the w222 so it may not work anyway. I can find info on the 8's in the doors but not on the other drivers so until I pull them and ohm them out I won't know.

But I searched and searched and NOBODY makes anything that fits the W221 doors.

I love almost everything about the stereo and the built in DSP may be making the highs flat so I may play around with some of my extra stuff first. I have some C5 650s I can try the tweets out from and I have some ID components too I can try.

I am tempted to buy a used door driver set up just to mess with.

· Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
S550 with B&O system?
Then do a Pac-Audio AmpPro or an idatalink Maestro AR or DSR1.
No mine is HK I do realize their are ways to hack into it. I just don't want to replace it all. I am just trying to tweak it a little.

If I could add a EQ inline that had more than just bass and treble I would be happy. Even just a 7 band EQ and I would be in heaven.

· Registered
620 Posts
No mine is HK I do realize their are ways to hack into it. I just don't want to replace it all. I am just trying to tweak it a little.

If I could add a EQ inline that had more than just bass and treble I would be happy. Even just a 7 band EQ and I would be in heaven.
Ah, sorry... have not seen that it's a Mercedes.
S550 ist the production code for the current gen Ford Mustangs. :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.