DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any experience using cheap cables or monster cables? They are definitely overpriced but I get all Monster stuff half off where I work, so the price really isn't an issue. Is monster worth it, especially at half price?

·
Registered
238 Posts
At half price, go for it.

Brand isn't as important as quality of construction, gauge, shielding, twisted pair construction, etc.

Bottom line - yes , there can be a huge difference between two cables...but depending on your system that difference may or may not be audible.

·
Registered
238 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
where did the OP state he was looking for specific "car audio" cables?

·
Registered
427 Posts
When I was in retail I used to LOVE Monster Cable - mainly because it was around 85% margin. Now I buy the cheapest decently constructed stuff I can find. In a car environment it just doesn't matter. If your accommodation price is only half off, I'd look around to see what else you can find. Back in the day we'd sell each other the Monster stuff for around 10% margin - it beat the accommodation price all day long.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
At half price, maybe. Are we talking RCAs or speaker wire?

I went from very cheap RCAs to some semi-high end and I have a slight reduction in noise but there's also a section where my power runs next to my RCAs. Had I run the wires correctly I probably would not have noticed a difference. I *think* there was a very small difference in the upper end of the tweeters' response but it's so small it could just be my ears.

As for wire, I used Knu wire, seems to be a good bang for the buck. You get high quality wire at a reasonable price (basically the same price as a local Home Depot would charge). IMO there's not much to be gained from the cheapest to the best speaker wire as long as it's the right size.

·
Registered
161 Posts
High quality cables are worth the price no matter what the brand. I had some garbage RCAs run on the opposite side of my car from the power wire and they picked up horrible noise from the factory wiring. I ran some Knu Krystal RCAs and the noise went away completely. If you can get Monster cheaper than Knu I say go for it but from prices I've seen, even at half off it's still expensive.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
At half price, maybe. Are we talking RCAs or speaker wire?

I went from very cheap RCAs to some semi-high end and I have a slight reduction in noise but there's also a section where my power runs next to my RCAs. Had I run the wires correctly I probably would not have noticed a difference. I *think* there was a very small difference in the upper end of the tweeters' response but it's so small it could just be my ears.

As for wire, I used Knu wire, seems to be a good bang for the buck. You get high quality wire at a reasonable price (basically the same price as a local Home Depot would charge). IMO there's not much to be gained from the cheapest to the best speaker wire as long as it's the right size.
all of the above. I got the the amp kit, 4 channel rcas, 2 channel rcas, and 100ft of speaker wire

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Power cable won't have much different, since the amp's power section will filter out the noise..
As for RCAs, you need to transfer "clean" signals from point A to B.... I'm using CAT6 network cable and it is as good as some $**** silver plated RCAs... And it only cost me $10 to construct a 4 channel RCA...

·
Registered
243 Posts
Power cable won't have much different, since the amp's power section will filter out the noise..
As for RCAs, you need to transfer "clean" signals from point A to B.... I'm using CAT6 network cable and it is as good as some $**** silver plated RCAs... And it only cost me $10 to construct a 4 channel RCA...
Just goes to show that there are not always a lot of noise problems.

Cat 5 is twisted pair and frequency response is not bad. However, twisted pair only provides noise immunity if and only if both inputs and outputs are balanced! It is quite common in pro audio setups where very long microphone runs are used, and of course lan connections! So in that majority of car installs twisted pair does not provide noise immunity... If someone disagrees please correct me with appropriate technical references.

Glad that it works for you!

As for Monster, they dont make bad products but are full of marketing hype. In a world of commodity cable thats the only way to be able to support high profit margins.

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Look on ebay for Stinger expert series cables. Last year I got a fairly long 4ch Expert series cable for under $20 shipped!!!!! For wire I swear by nothing but pure copper. Aluminum and CCA will cause set screws to get loose over time and will also corrode. The 4-way flat trailer wire is by far the best speakerwire I've used for car audio. It's cheap, tough as nails (made to withstand safety chains and stuff thrashing it), and low profile enough you can snake it just about anywhere. Definately great 16g wire. Plus it's high strand count pure copper and doesn't corrode.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've had monster cable RCA's they were junk, imo.

I've had good luck with Streetwires, a few years back now. More recently I am using the JL Audio one's, and have zero noise issues.

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
I have monster in 2 cars.... not because they are tons better than anything else but because the price was right. I also like that the ends really bite into the headunit or amp.

can I hear a change over the cheaper mismatched ones I pulled out of the old ladies car? I bet not...

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Just goes to show that there are not always a lot of noise problems.

Cat 5 is twisted pair and frequency response is not bad. However, twisted pair only provides noise immunity if and only if both inputs and outputs are balanced! It is quite common in pro audio setups where very long microphone runs are used, and of course lan connections! So in that majority of car installs twisted pair does not provide noise immunity... If someone disagrees please correct me with appropriate technical references.

Glad that it works for you!

As for Monster, they dont make bad products but are full of marketing hype. In a world of commodity cable thats the only way to be able to support high profit margins.
Well, I almost used CAT5 in the first place, and it was cheaper than CAT6... What I like CAT6 is because it is shielded and twisted.... Just more on try and error and I also never think that it do sounds better than silver plated RCAs....
BTW, I do have noise issues even I'm using CAT6 RCAs and even the silver plated RCAs.... And when check further, I found out that my battery going to die(every morning cold start my battery's voltage will be about 10-11V) and Pioneer HUs and amps do generate noise when operating at low voltage... And the noise can just went off after 1 minute when the alternator charges back the battery...
So the theory of using good quality of RCAs will prevent noise are stupid....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts