DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know that when is about EQ, more flexibility is always better... But I have a question...

Can someone achive a good sounding equalization with just a 2 ch Stereo Equalizer (a good one, 1/3 octave at least and/or parametric EQ)? (I mean, near that a 8ch DSP can provide).

It is logical that a full EQ capabilities for each driver should provide a wide range to adjust the overall sounding, while can make "micro" adjustments for each speaker and get the perfect response curve... but I have always think that those "perfect" response curves are ok for Sq Competitions, but at street level, a "good enough" equalization that make that response curve near enough with the perfect one, is as good to sound that the perfect one...
If it is like that, Not a simple 2 ch stereo 1/3 octave Equalizer could do the job?

I ask this because, as user of Helix DSP I have found that, for my ears, so many equalizing bands (256+) are not necesary, and you could set to match all speakers to a single stereo signal, measure it, make settings and finally get a VERY Good results... So... What do you DSP users think?

·
Premium Member
3,761 Posts
You are 100% right. For the vast majority of people a simple 31band graphic or 10band parametric will work wonders to get an overall good sound. People did that for years and years and years. Having the ability to address and target specific frequency bands can make things even better. With so many options for free or cheap RTA programs, being able to identify those troublesome frequencies is even easier

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are 100% right. For the vast majority of people a simple 31band graphic or 10band parametric will work wonders to get an overall good sound. People did that for years and years and years. Having the ability to address and target specific frequency bands can make things even better. With so many options for free or cheap RTA programs, being able to identify those troublesome frequencies is even easier
Nice to read this from an expert! Helps a lot. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Ok, I know that when is about EQ, more flexibility is always better... But I have a question...

Can someone achive a good sounding equalization with just a 2 ch Stereo Equalizer (a good one, 1/3 octave at least and/or parametric EQ)? (I mean, near that a 8ch DSP can provide).

It is logical that a full EQ capabilities for each driver should provide a wide range to adjust the overall sounding, while can make "micro" adjustments for each speaker and get the perfect response curve... but I have always think that those "perfect" response curves are ok for Sq Competitions, but at street level, a "good enough" equalization that make that response curve near enough with the perfect one, is as good to sound that the perfect one...
If it is like that, Not a simple 2 ch stereo 1/3 octave Equalizer could do the job?

I ask this because, as user of Helix DSP I have found that, for my ears, so many equalizing bands (256+) are not necesary, and you could set to match all speakers to a single stereo signal, measure it, make settings and finally get a VERY Good results... So... What do you DSP users think?
Use the eq in both the pass band and the stop band of the speaker. In the pass band you're using the eq to first balance L/R and then to dial in overall response. In the stop band, use the eq to get an extra 12-15db roll off on top of what you have at your network. Even with steep 4th order slopes at the network, it's amazing how much cleaner the sound can get with this simple eq tip. In a car you need all the eq you can get.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Use the eq in both the pass band and the stop band of the speaker. In the pass band you're using the eq to first balance L/R and then to dial in overall response. In the stop band, use the eq to get an extra 12-15db roll off on top of what you have at your network. Even with steep 4th order slopes at the network, it's amazing how much cleaner the sound can get with this simple eq tip. In a car you need all the eq you can get.
I will try! Thnks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts