DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a set of dynaudio from ebay. Two MD102s, 2 MW152s, 2 X252s. There are two numbers on each item, and they are:

a. on the first MD 102 "Item No. 81492", another number is "02001669"
b. on the second MD 102 "Item No. 81492", another number is "02001670".
c. on the first MW 152, it says "Item No. 84495", another number is "02001669"
d. on the second MW 152 "Item No. 84495", another number is "02001669".
f. the first X252 "Item No. 3531851", another number is "02001670"
g. on the second X252, "Item No. 3531851", another number is "02001669".

So the two tweeters have the same "Item No.". So do the two MW152s, and two x252s.

Are they real dynaudio or the fake?

Thanks.

·
Registered
522 Posts
You didn't say whether they are supposed to be new or used. Current new models have a holographic label on the back of the speaker to make them harder to copy.

You can also use the search function. There are some threads on here that show pictures of an authentic crossover and a fake, same deal with some of the speakers. There are usually some telltale signs.

·
Registered
784 Posts
There hasn't been reports of fake 242's only the 240's.

But here is a link to the photo's of real vs fake. I was there when those photo's were taken with the old aussie importer and I can say first hand the resemblance is incredible. I never heard the fake's but supposedly if you know how Dyn's sound then you'll know something is wrong straight away.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Call Emilios @ Dynaudio and ask him. He's a great guy that'll help you out.
630-238-4200

·
Registered
100 Posts
there is a link on the dynaudio site that has the basic way's to detect for fakes.. i just check the back of the tweeter allen bolt that holds the tweeter onto the mounting hardware. it's suppose to be like an allen screw that you can disconnect the tweeter from the mount. i have a set of those gt components and i got worried when i saw the 4 mounting holes on the woofer but after looking in the crossover it came with and the tweeter's allen screw i was happy that i got the real set.

·
Registered
141 Posts
An MD102 will have the same item number as another MD102. Item number really just refers to a specific make and model, this is the same for all equal makes and models.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It sounds like that at some point in time, some of the drivers were swapped out in your set. All the drivers, crossovers and box should have matching serial numbers.

·
Registered
12,569 Posts
Pretty good comparison of real and fake here:

mobile audio solutions
from this thread ^^^
http://cgi.ebay.com/2-DYNAUDIO-MW16...4|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

Each and every product for sale on ebay.com by woofersetc is covered under a Nine Month Warranty, and can be returned for a period of nine months for warranty service.

quote:

This is a list of ebay sellers known to have offered to to be currently offering for sale on ebay fake Dynaudio products.

ishoppro

auction7x24

membershiponly

eshopcorner

online_audiotrade

quote:

anyone bought from ^^^^^

How do fake ones sound ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Installed the MD102 and X252. MD102 sounds much better than the MD100 that was originally installed in the car. They are real dynaudios.

·
Registered
145 Posts
well i may be wrong on this - but the dyns with the rounded off model numbers ie the MD100's and the MW150's and MW160's are the ones known to be faked which is why dyn released the the ones with the 2 in the end of the model number - so the MD102 and the MW162 etc are not known to be faked yet AFAIK

as i said though i could be totally incorrect - so if anyone knows for certain could they let us know

·
Registered
145 Posts
Well, when there's a brand that has fakes flying around in the market, I will just skip that brand. Then I won't need to worry much that product I bought is under question mark...
so you want to skip names like dynaudio, Focal, JL Audio, Hertz, MB Quart and lots more - i dunno about that - id rather just buy from official sources to make sure its the right thing - you only have to be careful if you buy off E-Bay or other questionable sources

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
Agreed. So far speakers is the easiest product to have fakes. Amps? Yes, still have but the ratio against speakers is lesser.
By looking at the circuit board's components inside, 1 can tell how good an amp was built. This might not be true, but this is how I judge an amp's quality. By looking at board's circuit complexness, components used.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts