DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've just received an "Arizona Power Company - 10000 Limited Edition" Amplifier

I received it as part of a craig's list trade as I was interested in it's shape.

This amp is silver, about 3 feet long, and 6 inches wide. It isn't the heaviest amp, but I was told it is some kind of Dr Crankenstein competition amp.

I'll post a photo ASAP. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It powers up, doesn't seem to have any on-board fuses, I wish I had some more info on it.

The kid I got it from knew nothing about it, but claimed it was stable @ 1ohm.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Anyone have an idea of the value or collectability of this amp?

I may be getting rid of it before I have a chance to give it a listen.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Never heard of it...maybe an off-brand? Interesting name, though.

You're missing the rivet that secures the filter switch to the chassis; be careful if you move the switch so you don't knock any of it's contacts from the mainboard.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
missing the rivet that secures the filter switch to the chassis; be careful if you move the switch so you don't knock any of it's contacts from the mainboard.
Good call, I've already flicked the switch once without noticing, and that is the important one, at least it is on LP now.

The sound was clean, but the amp was making a little bit of a hiss/hum, THE AMP, not the output. Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,406 Posts

Dam, that's a BIG bish...:laugh:

Crack that sucker open and have a look-see...

·
Registered
6 Posts
This amp looks just like my dr. crankenstein m-1200cx amplifier.. Id have to see the bottom to be sure.. Is the bottom a clear acrylic?

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the bottom a clear acrylic?
The bottom is solid black, thin plastic. In fact it was cracked, so I stuck it back together with a Knu Koncepts sticker.

I think I deleted the photos I had of it. It had knobs for the crossover and gain, I'm not sure if it had a subsonic or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I wonder if someone painted it or replaced the original clear acrylic because it got broke or something.. I could definately tell you what it was if i could see the board

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been talking with the OP and he said he has already sold it.. I like these old crankenstein amps.. In my opinion they are still better than most of what is sold today..

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Ive been talking with the OP and he said he has already sold it.. I like these old crankenstein amps.. In my opinion they are still better than most of what is sold today..
Not even.

The stuff with the LM3886 amps inside are well...50W per channel, non bridgeable.

The Big 10000 is also nothing special. It seems Dr. Crank made "datasheet" designs. Poorly executed copies made by someone that doesn't really understand amplifier engineering.

The LM3886-based amps were sold at Walmart at one point.

·
Registered
6,367 Posts
I would guess 2x200rms, but hard to say. Still that is not bad for an old class AB. The shape is just for show. Someone should measure the rail voltage that might give an idea of output possible more than any guess. Those outputs are usually the type that can handle 50rms per pair, and there are 4 pair each side...but that is just a guess it could always be less. If more then they are pushing the limits, get the number off the transistor they can all be looked up for power ratings.

It might in fact be 2x250 at 2 ohms and 2x150-200 at 4 ohms. That would make for 500rms bridged and 1,000 peak. A lot of amps rated that way are a true rating, except some really cheap brands that add some bs to that. And 500rms on subs is not that bad, will cause owners to like it well enough, especially in the past when 1kw amps were not common.

I have an ultra linear with 12 outputs that is around 2x150rms, very similar to an older hifonics with the same rating....though I bet the hifonics puts out more with similar parts they are likely better parts and it also doubles at 2 ohms that is 600rms rated bridged. Cheaper amps might not double.

The 4ch in the other link is interesting that is an IC amp they are not very common. It did have a power supply but pretty tiny one I only saw two transistors on the sink that is odd. Unless it was not a PS then its just a junky 12v amp. Most of the better IC amps used the larger STK ICs and even a 2x60 had a PS double or more than that one, if that is a PS and steps up the voltage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Theres no need to guess.. Its true rating is 200X2.. And i still say its a better amp than a lot of the crap they make today because it was made in the USA.. Most amps and car audio today is made in china or malaysia etc etc and the quality control is really crappy.. Even rockford fosgate has started making their stuff overseas now which is why i only buy old school car audio now..

I have a decent amount of old school dr. crankenstein stuff that ive aquired over a long time including a dr. crankenstein m-1200-cx amp and 2 m-80 amps they also made.. One of the m-80 amps is brand new and still in the box.. On the warranty information it says that if repairs are needed that the amp needs to be sent to riviera beach florida.. That leads me to believe that US amps down in florida made these amps.. At least some of them..

The reason i say some of them is because when i look at both of my m-80 amps from them at the same time i notice a few things different.. On the brand new one thats still in the box it has a way eariler production number on it and has a sticker on the inside that says made in usa.. But on the other one with a later production number it says built in usa and is engraved in the board.. Now we all know made in usa and built in usa usually mean two different things so it is definately possible that before they went out of business they were building stuff cheaper but im not 100 percent sure on that..

All im saying is that in my opinion the stuff they made was better than a lot of the crap thats made today.. But of course thats just my opinion

1 - 20 of 31 Posts