DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seem to be a flood of Zapco DC owners parting with their amps. Is there something I don't know about? There seems to be lots of love for the DSP-6... so why such a glut on the DC used market? Just curious...

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
Not sure what you are talking about I love the Zapco DC and DSP6 setups...the only reason I sold mine was for simplicity sake since im going passive in the daily driver. Reasons I see other selling theirs are either they are going for the "latest and greatest" like the Audison BitOne, selling the DSP6 for a setup with 4-way active capability, or downgrading. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Zapco DC amps and DSP6 IMO, i think its one of the better GUI and most flexible DSP systems available. Just my thoughts :)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But yours are still for sale, so you should be DQ'd... :)

I have sold and installed maybe 100 DC amplifiers, and a couple of DSP-6, I have great familiarity with them. I want to know if there is anything I am missing, is all.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
But yours are still for sale, so you should be DQ'd... :)

I have sold and installed maybe 100 DC amplifiers, and a couple of DSP-6, I have great familiarity with them. I want to know if there is anything I am missing, is all.
Haha...actually they are already SOLD and I still stand with what I say :p No secret/hidden agenda here, just my honest opinions :)

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
There seem to be a flood of Zapco DC owners parting with their amps. Is there something I don't know about? There seems to be lots of love for the DSP-6... so why such a glut on the DC used market? Just curious...
I noticed this too. I'm still on the fence for my system. DC650 or Audison 5.1k/BitOne. Seems like both have a pretty good track record. Cost of the Audison stuff is over 50% more but its also 2x the power. :juggle2:

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I have 3 DC in my truck and 6 going in my car with 2 X DSP6. If I could fit a 4th in my truck to replace the REF I would.

Its like anything else. People buy them some never use them due to system changes so they sell them. They are one of the few newer amps that hold there resell value very well.

IMO they are the best all-in-one solution on the market. The GUI is easy to use, they make good power, are reliable and customer service is the best in the industry.IMO

However, like anything else many want to try out the latest and greatest like the BitOne. We will see the same thing when the DSP8 comes to market and the same with the JBL MS-8.

·
Premium Member
1,292 Posts
I purchased two DSP6's to replace what seemed to be like a failed intial offering of the Bit One (I had to replace my first two units). But I decided to take a deep breath, and wait. It paid off in that my third Bit One (aka Bit One.1) is flawless.

IMO the Bit One is not that much better than the DSP6, but it does offer more channels (one Bit One versus two DSP6's in my case) and I like the software interface with the Bit One better. But that is a small trade off and with prices going down on the DSP6 I think any new condition DSP6 would be well worth looking into.

I sold my first DSP6 and the second is still on the market with strong inquires. Nonetheless, my opinion is straightforward on the issue, I believe.

I have noticed lots of ZAPCO amps for sale lately. I just figured it was the natural wave on interest in new technology, not an indication of a flawed or lesser product.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have 3 DC in my truck and 6 going in my car with 2 X DSP6. If I could fit a 4th in my truck to replace the REF I would.

Its like anything else. People buy them some never use them due to system changes so they sell them. They are one of the few newer amps that hold there resell value very well.

IMO they are the best all-in-one solution on the market. The GUI is easy to use, they make good power, are reliable and customer service is the best in the industry.IMO

However, like anything else many want to try out the latest and greatest like the BitOne. We will see the same thing when the DSP8 comes to market and the same with the JBL MS-8.
IMO, the MS-8 kind of missed the boat already. They had a chance to come out with something that would have been unique to the market a few years ago but with the long delay Audison beat them to it. Now that the majority of the BitOne's issues have been addressed, I don't see the MS-8 offering anything new in terms of technology that would make people want to switch. Of course, there will be a few that switch just for the sake of trying everything available but I don't think we'll see a huge following at this point.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts
IMO, the MS-8 kind of missed the boat already. They had a chance to come out with something that would have been unique to the market a few years ago but with the long delay Audison beat them to it. Now that the majority of the BitOne's issues have been addressed, I don't see the MS-8 offering anything new in terms of technology that would make people want to switch. Of course, there will be a few that switch just for the sake of trying everything available but I don't think we'll see a huge following at this point.
I thought the bit-one is a manually adjusted unit that requires an RTA? Does it provide binaural analysis? Just curious. The MS-8 from what I understand is still unique even today and does what no other unit does. Fully-automated/binaural-analysis/eq/time-alignment/phase-adjustment-by-frequency/manual fine tuning after automation is complete.

That's pretty impressive IMO and not beaten by the bit-one.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
From my point of view, over marketing on its symbilink system is 1 of the point that chase people out. If just because of balanced input can reduce noise, other brands do have also and selling cheaper than Zapco.
When comparing the price of the Zapco DC amps, you have to take the cost of the processing into account. There aren't many amps out there when paired with an external processor that can do what the DCs can do and still be cheaper.

·
Registered
496 Posts
I thought the bit-one is a manually adjusted unit that requires an RTA? Does it provide binaural analysis? Just curious. The MS-8 from what I understand is still unique even today and does what no other unit does. Fully-automated/binaural-analysis/eq/time-alignment/phase-adjustment-by-frequency/manual fine tuning after automation is complete.

That's pretty impressive IMO and not beaten by the bit-one.
well, considering the ms-8 isn't available and JBL still has their thumb up their butt with the release date I think the bit one has it beat

·
Banned
388 Posts
hmmm .... DSP-8, that might prove to be interesting

·
18,699 Posts
I just didn't care for the GUI of the zapco processing. That's pretty much the bottom line. I bought those intending to sale my bit one, but I've changed my mind. Kept the bit one as I had already paid for it.

Just prefer the B1's GUI. That's pretty much it.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
When comparing the price of the Zapco DC amps, you have to take the cost of the processing into account. There aren't many amps out there when paired with an external processor that can do what the DCs can do and still be cheaper.
You are right.... But I not yet touch on DC amps yet. Now I'll touch it. What's the big deal on it with internal processing? Again it is just another over marketing gimmick features. And with tunning only can be done via laptop, it just don't make any sense in the market as there's so many DSP can do the tuning just at finger tip like Pioneer's P9, Alpine's H701, 900, F#1, Audio Control and so many other brands. Maybe DC amps can be controlled via DRC-SL(again you have to buy it), there's nothing to be "wowed". I will give it a "eee" again another wallet damaged because of this. It maybe useful for people that don't change tuning settings everyday, but I'm sure this is not for me.
Technically I don't like an amp with built-in fans, unless I'm staying in colder countries with 5-10°C. How much cooling it can do on hot tropical countries? What if it fails?
Zapco maybe making great amps or DSPs and I won't deny it. But then other companies do make great amps too, with a fraction of its price sometimes. For me I got a Pioneer P9 combo and very happy for it(at the mean time) and I don't like double processing on my setup.
I'm sure that each equipments on ICE do play their part on giving us a good sound and amps just a small part. You may came accross to some members here just keep on changing or upgrading their HUs(I will put this on first place) and I'm sure they have reasons on it.
The bottom line, Zapco do make greats products, but then is it really what we need on those features?

·
Registered
158 Posts
And with tunning only can be done via laptop, it just don't make any sense in the market as there's so many DSP can do the tuning just at finger tip like Pioneer's P9, Alpine's H701, 900, F#1, Audio Control and so many other brands.
What's wrong with amps and processing all in one box? That's one less component to install that could potentially degrade the signal chain. If you can't change the deck and need solution for oem integration the DC reference is a great choice. It's halfway to 2009, finger tip tuning is so 1999. I am a lot more excited to install mine as compared to my P9 combo I had a few years back when I first got it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
^^^Also, compare the tuning ability of the Zapco DRC-SL and the Bit One Controller. Another reason I stand firm for the Zapco unit is the ability to do almost all of the tuning from the DRC. Opposed to the Bit One's limited controller abilty. Of course it all boils down to personal preference (and I sold EM/Bit One at the other dealer I worked at). I strongly considered the Bit One because i intend to use the Zapco DAII-SL DAC from my DRZ and I need 8 channels of processing. I know that I could use the sub out on the DRZ with excellent tuning capability but I would be missing out on the DAC (although not very noticeable on sub, but it's just me! :laugh:) I will wait for the DSP8, impatiently! I think once Zapco releases the DSP8, it will be the clear cut choice.

Sorry to get off track there. As for the DC amps, they are obviously phenominal. I think that we are seeing more of them up for sale here because they have held their value well and some people just need money right now. Then there is the "New Product" itch that many of us get. I still have my DC650.6 and I will NEVER part with it (Thanks Ruganis!) because of the capabilities and quality (Looking for another DC750.2!). I am very partial to Zapco for so many reasons and I am not even an authorized dealer for them!

·
Registered
496 Posts
^^^ I strongly considered the Bit One because i intend to use the Zapco DAII-SL DAC from my DRZ and I need 8 channels of processing.
I used to have a daII and I absolutely loved it but do you really think running digital to a daII instead of directly to the bit one is going to sound that much better??

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
simplyclean : Yup, you are right. All in 1 may have its advantages, sometimes and not all the time. 1 may have highest end amp with all the DSP inside(DC Ref). But without a good transport from HU, it still pointless. That's why old school HUs like Denon still have its value.
And talk about signal chain degrades, I'm pretty sure Zapco's RCA to symbilink will have more if compare to HUs that using optical as transport. But then the lost won't be that obvious.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I like the interface, and the sound. I have gone through 3 Zapco setups to get the one I like. Nothing to do with not liking, just getting the one I want.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.