DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

241 - 260 of 347 Posts

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Depending on how well you can haggle. Price is $800-$899.

I’m curious to know how this would do against the MMATs HiFi 4250D

·
Premium Member
8,892 Posts
I'd really love to try some of the Biketronics stuff one day. I really like what they do. Are the channels bridgeable on either of these new models?

As far as a comparison to the MMATS stuff, based on what I have heard from some of their dealers regarding reliability, I'd take Biketronics over MMATS any day. I know there are several people on here that use they're SQ amps and like them, but questionable reliability isn't a risk I want to take.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'd really love to try some of the Biketronics stuff one day. I really like what they do. Are the channels bridgeable on either of these new models?

As far as a comparison to the MMATS stuff, based on what I have heard from some of their dealers regarding reliability, I'd take Biketronics over MMATS any day. I know there are several people on here that use they're SQ amps and like them, but questionable reliability isn't a risk I want to take.
I’m not 100% on this, but I’m fairly sure those Hypex amplifiers they use are internally bridged, which prevents the finished amplifier from being bridged any further.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Are the new 250.4 and 180.6 still using hypex modules? What is the new spec of channel 5/6?
Yes they are still using Hypex UcD modules. The BT6180 is 6 x 180 watts. If you reach Mike at Biketronics he is willing to create whatever you fancy when it’s not biking season (not sure when that is exactly..summer?)

All wattages are listed in 4 ohms but Hypex is extremely stable at 2 ohms. The rub is that there is literally no literature on what Hypex UcD modules put out at 2 ohms! Or at least I can’t find it. The consensus amongst the home audio crowd is that power increases but not by double per se.

I’ve seen an unofficial 220 watts reported for the UcD180 module at 2 ohms on a Harley Davidson forum and 330 watts or ~400 watts reported for the UcD250 module at 2 ohms.

Maybe Architect7 can chime in? I believe he is powering 2 SI BM mk IV Subs at 2 ohms with a BT2250.

Bridging can be done internally but from what I keep reading there is no point in doing so due to current demand when bridged? Or unless you want to run at 8 ohms. People who understand the tech better are always suggesting to just increase in module power versus trying to bridge.

Either way I don’t think the amps are hurting for power. Biketronics posted a pic on their Facebook page showing the newer BT4250 measuring at 330 watts per channel at 4 ohms!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
So the 180 can be configured to do rated power into 8 ohms?
Something like it. But I’m not 100% either.

I do know at one point in 2016 Biketronics was selling a limited run BT2360 which was a BT4180 bridged to offer 2 x 360 at 8 ohms.

That and this is from the Hypex site:

Q: I need double the power in an 8Ohm load than a UcD amplifier can produce. Is there some way I can bridge two, for example, UcD400’s?

A: You need to drive one of the modules 180 degrees out of phase by simply swapping the negative and positive input signal wires. Tie the loudspeaker between both positive loudspeaker outputs of the amplifiers and connect a 100n/200V capacitor across the loudspeaker terminals at the amplifiers’ side. This set-up is most applicable for 8 Ohm loads since each amplifier ‘sees’ 4 Ohms with an 8 Ohm load attached. A 4 Ohm load might trigger the current protection leaving you with not nearly as much power as you might have expected.

·
Premium Member
3,478 Posts
Something like it. But I’m not 100% either.

I do know at one point in 2016 Biketronics was selling a limited run BT2360 which was a BT4180 bridged to offer 2 x 360 at 8 ohms.

That and this is from the Hypex site:

Q: I need double the power in an 8Ohm load than a UcD amplifier can produce. Is there some way I can bridge two, for example, UcD400’s?

A: You need to drive one of the modules 180 degrees out of phase by simply swapping the negative and positive input signal wires. Tie the loudspeaker between both positive loudspeaker outputs of the amplifiers and connect a 100n/200V capacitor across the loudspeaker terminals at the amplifiers’ side. This set-up is most applicable for 8 Ohm loads since each amplifier ‘sees’ 4 Ohms with an 8 Ohm load attached. A 4 Ohm load might trigger the current protection leaving you with not nearly as much power as you might have expected.
I cannot imagine "needing" 360W... that is ~1\2 horsepower per channel.
Assumng it makes sense to rate power in HP.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Confirmed that the BT4250 is the same chassis footprint as the BT4180.

Mike at Biketronics shared a couple more pics! The power connecter has been upgraded from XT60 to XT90 connector able to handle up to 100 amps.

“Here are some pictures of the BT4250. The APx measurement shown is using the AP's optimizer where it finds the drive level for a given distortion (THD+N) - in this case 1%. Uses the OEM UcD 250's, has a larger transformer, off-module Vdr supply, per-channel gain control all in a very small footprint.”

No firm date but he did tell me they are working on car specific amps. Maybe (keyword maybe) something available end of Q4 2018 (Xmas time) or Q1 2019.

When it comes closer to fruition I’m sure he will be asking peeps here for some input.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
So the 180 can be configured to do rated power into 8 ohms?
The biketronics amps use Hypex UCD OEM LP units. The normal DIY UCD180HG units are rated at 120 watts @ 8 ohms (per Hypex themselves). So I assume it should be something similare for the biketronics amp at 8 ohms.

He can ask me or respond to my email
It took me 2-3 emails and 2-3 calls leaving messages with Donna before I was able to get a single convo with him. Busy man. Biking season is nearly ending soon so his availability and time for a car orientated project is around the corner.

He’s working on several projects including guitar/bass amps using Hypex NCore modules.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #256
Yes they are still using Hypex UcD modules. The BT6180 is 6 x 180 watts. If you reach Mike at Biketronics he is willing to create whatever you fancy when it’s not biking season (not sure when that is exactly..summer?)

All wattages are listed in 4 ohms but Hypex is extremely stable at 2 ohms. The rub is that there is literally no literature on what Hypex UcD modules put out at 2 ohms! Or at least I can’t find it. The consensus amongst the home audio crowd is that power increases but not by double per se.

I’ve seen an unofficial 220 watts reported for the UcD180 module at 2 ohms on a Harley Davidson forum and 330 watts or ~400 watts reported for the UcD250 module at 2 ohms.

Maybe Architect7 can chime in? I believe he is powering 2 SI BM mk IV Subs at 2 ohms with a BT2250.

Bridging can be done internally but from what I keep reading there is no point in doing so due to current demand when bridged? Or unless you want to run at 8 ohms. People who understand the tech better are always suggesting to just increase in module power versus trying to bridge.

Either way I don’t think the amps are hurting for power. Biketronics posted a pic on their Facebook page showing the newer BT4250 measuring at 330 watts per channel at 4 ohms!
Sorry I didn't see this message until now. UcD architecture approximately increases power 40% at 2 ohms and is still stable to 1 ohm, but power drops ~50% and heat creation increases. Mike was able to prove this on their Audio Precision analyzer which was nice because Hypex doesn't publish very much about 2 ohm performance. Optimal efficiency is 2-8ohms. Bridging is complicated too, and tends to affect performance because it doubles minimum impedances, so typically it is easier to change to a larger module (there are 500w and 700w modules, which would respectively yield 800w and 1000w+ into 2 ohms). These amps drive subs with ease; my Rythmik home sub is a 550w Hypex unit and my BT2250 powers subs in my truck, sometimes 8-10 hours straight when I'm on road trips or offroading. Their load invariance allows them to be agnostic to impedance curves which are especially extreme with subwoofers and ribbons tweeters. The sound is amazing :)

I visited Mike at BT earlier this week and I was fortunate enough to see some of the new amps, including the 4250 and the 6180. A 6250 could be created with some tweaks to the power supplies and it would easily fit in the same chassis. Going larger than 250 modules would require a different chassis, but Mike shared with me that, with the right space, you could put together whatever combination is needed for a particular application. Factory car with 3 way front, rear fill, and 4 subs? Yep, just fab up a chassis that will accommodate 10-12 discrete channels with supporting power supplies. The user can choose between auto-gain or manual gain preamp sections too. Weird Bose vehicle with amps hidden everywhere? No problem, use multiple smaller chassis with smaller power supplies and modules, easily small enough to fit the OEM amp footprints.

I can try to field more questions if anyone has them. I absolutely love these amps; they have become my end game in any of my builds (trying to resist replacing the JBL system in my wife's Sequoia :D).

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Mike is currently building me a custom BT4250 with no gain pots.

It will probably be replacing my MMATs HiFi 4250D.

Biketronics’ Hypex UcD Class D vs MMATs IR based Class D. Both use self oscillating PWM but supposedly Hypex has a better filter design.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #258

Biketronics’ Hypex UcD Class D vs MMATs IR based Class D. Both use self oscillating PWM but supposedly Hypex has a better filter design.
That's probably the one I saw on Tuesday! They were making a new input shroud to clear your RCAs, right? If so, great choice of RCA, those are my FAVORITE!

·
Registered
179 Posts

Did you order it with the 10Hz cutoff or the 45Hz std?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I would like a 250x6 with at least a 500 watt mono amp attached. Would even go for a 180x6 plus mono or even a 250x4 or 180x4 with mono amp attached.

241 - 260 of 347 Posts