DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

261 - 280 of 356 Posts

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Did you order it with the 10Hz cutoff or the 45Hz std?
Filterless so the 10hz.

That's probably the one I saw on Tuesday! They were making a new input shroud to clear your RCAs, right? If so, great choice of RCA, those are my FAVORITE!
Yep that’s mine! He is milling out the RCA area a bit to allow me to use my thicker Esoteric Audio RCA’s

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Their load invariance allows them to be agnostic to impedance curves which are especially extreme with subwoofers and ribbons tweeters. The sound is amazing :)
What exactly does this mean? I know you're not saying they violate ohms law, but please explain in layman's terms.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
I cannot imagine "needing" 360W... that is ~1\2 horsepower per channel.
Assumng it makes sense to rate power in HP.
It does when you need to understand what it can physically do to your car. Example: 4 horsepower subwoofer system flexing parts of your car that really shouldn't flex.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
It does when you need to understand what it can physically do to your car. Example: 4 horsepower subwoofer system flexing parts of your car that really shouldn't flex.
But I thought these were being used for the upper frequency speaker channels?
I could see it for a woofer, but not a MR or tweeter.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
But I thought these were being used for the upper frequency speaker channels?
I could see it for a woofer, but not a MR or tweeter.
I'm speaking in general terms, rating in horsepower for subwoofer systems would help understand the physical effects on your car, I don't think it would be at all useful in understanding higher frequency systems.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
I'm speaking in general terms, rating in horsepower for subwoofer systems would help understand the physical effects on your car, I don't think it would be at all useful in understanding higher frequency systems.
I agree that HP is nonsensical, which was the intent...:cool:

It seems like mo Ethan just a little bit of overkill, however for a large woofer I could understand that level of power... once we get to a MR or tweeter, then the only way to match that capability in a woofer or sub would be to have kW of amplifier power for the lower frequency speakers.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
What exactly does this mean? I know you're not saying they violate ohms law, but please explain in layman's terms.
There are several different class D techs out there..

but Hypex UcD is the only one able to claim low, flat THD response, invariant of frequency and load. This allows for very linear power with a frequency response that is entirely load invariant.

There is sometimes a lift in the top octaves added by poor class-D topology creating an unwanted “too cold” sound. Hypex has ‘solved’ this with UcD, their amplifier topology remains linear through the entire range regardless of load impedance. It is just "neutral" what goes in is what comes out, clear and clean.

If you really want to dive in check out the Hypex white paper:
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/an_wp/WP_AES118BP_Simple_self-oscillating_class%20D_amplifier.pdf

The secret sauce is in the patented post-filter feedback design.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Also can’t forget what I can’t keep saying enough of...

made in the USA with a lifetime warranty!
That is a better reason than needing 300+ watts.
And they look well made from the distance of the internet.
So I would be interested in trying one on some woofers/mid-bass.

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
There are several different class D techs out there..

but Hypex UcD is the only one able to claim low, flat THD response, invariant of frequency and load. This allows for very linear power with a frequency response that is entirely load invariant.

There is sometimes a lift in the top octaves added by poor class-D topology creating an unwanted “too cold” sound. Hypex has ‘solved’ this with UcD, their amplifier topology remains linear through the entire range regardless of load impedance. It is just "neutral" what goes in is what comes out, clear and clean.

If you really want to dive in check out the Hypex white paper:
https://www.hypex.nl/img/upload/doc/an_wp/WP_AES118BP_Simple_self-oscillating_class D_amplifier.pdf

The secret sauce is in the patented post-filter feedback design.
Thanks, exactly the info I needed to understand the frequency agnostic statement.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Project euphōnos

BT4250
RCA area opened up to allow larger RCA’s
XT90 power connector
8 gauge fused wire
40 amp fuse

Individual channel gain pots input stage has been forgone in the name of SQ to have a more direct and pure signal path. As a starting point I had Mike set the input voltage to 4 volts for the amp to be at “full tilt before clipping”. I will be using with a Helix DSP Pro that has 8v preouts (not specified if this is 8volt rms?). Mike is able to adjust the input voltage on the amps if you choose no gain pot stage.

XT90 connector is rated for 90-100 amps. The fused 8 gauge wire the amp came with is fused at 40 amps.

I put together a graphic that I asked Mike if he was able to laser in. In homage to the UcD modules, is the hypex electronics wave graphic. Then in similar line of thought as Biketronics’ allusion to ancient Greek mythology with its “Titan” Power reference, I put the Ancient Greek word εὔφωνος or euphōnos, meaning "well-sounding" or "sweet-voiced".

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #274
That is awesome! And funny since it will do more like 1200-1600wrms at 2ohms, very underrated. Can’t wait to hear how you like it.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
NICE!

I think I need one or two of these in my life! What was the turnaround time for this?
About 2 weeks. But most of that was my doing. Instead of the yellow color that is standard by the connector plate, I requested a plain black plate. Slight delay in when he was sending out new plates out to be anodized to fulfill this request.

For couple days, I was out of town and not unable to provide the exact RCA measurements I wanted fulfilled which caused a delay. The RCA’s are physically in the same place but the area around them has been milled out to a larger opening.

*The standard stock RCA opening can accept most RCA’s out there. I was just being uber picky and wanted to utilize some Audio Esoteric E7 home audio RCA’s with bulky cosmetic RCA heads. All other RCA’s I tried fit fine (Stinger, Streetwires, blue jeans cable).

I also have a BT4180. The actual rca connectors are a tad bit closer to each other in the BT4180 model. Even if the area around them is milled out, there is just barely not enough clearance side-to-side after I line up the center post on adjacent positions for my bulky RCA heads. I attached pics of my unmodified BT4180.

I wasn’t about to burden Mike with redesigning his circuit/product on the account of my RCA desires. This will be easily remedied by a female to male rca adapter, or just simply use another RCA cable.

Then for the graphic I put together, Mike reached out to Hypex for permission to use the wave graphic which was another slight delay.

That is awesome! And funny since it will do more like 1200-1600wrms at 2ohms, very underrated. Can’t wait to hear how you like it.
No doubts about it. The linear power and clarity my BT4180 provided was already unreal to grasp. My build is a slow progress project and still have some work to do in my sedan trunk for a stealth false floor setup but I hope to have this amp singing before Thanksgiving.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info and pics!

And yeah, I love those EA E7 RCA's as well. :)

For the system I'm currently working on, I would probably need one of the BT4250 and one or two of the BT4180 as well.

I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under a rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a Porsche 911?

Would love to have these included in the next high-end "SQ Amplifier Shootout". :)

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Thanks for the detailed info and pics!

And yeah, I love those EA E7 RCA's as well. :)

For the system I'm currently working on, I would probably need one of the BT4250 and one or two of the BT4180 as well.

I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under the rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a 911 Porsche?

Would love to have these included in the next high-end "SQ Amplifier Shootout". :)
These things are of solid build quality. Once you hold it in your hand and feel its mini heft you’ll understand. As you mentioned these amps are were physically designed to fit in bike fairings or saddle bags where they would experience long periods of exposure to heat/sun. I think they should do fine given their 90% efficiency. Plus they have active cooling via 2 internal fans.

I too would like to see these in an amplifier shootout. Anybody in touch with Matt Hall?

These aren’t using GaN Fet tech like the SounDigital amps but these amps are near the pinnacle of Class D topology in regards to PWM and feedback filter design. Up there with the MMATS HIFi series that are based off the Infineon IRAUDAMP4 Class D design.

Very few amplifiers disclose the details about their Class D circuits. Biketronics uses Hypex UcD and I like that Hypex is more transparent about their empirical approach towards providing audiophile grade sound via the class D topology. *haha might need an electrical engineering degree/education to decipher it all but it’s out there at least.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Again, THANKS for the info and quick response.

Yeah, I'm curious to see the performance when more GaN Fet based amps come out.

From what I know about the Hypex UcD modules, I've heard that quite a few big manufacturers of both high-end and mid-level active/powered studio monitors are using them.

And I just realized that Mike has created and is working on a BT6180, so that along with one of the new BT4250 amps would be perfect for my setup. :thumbsup:

I believe that you can reach Matt Hall via the web site or respective Facebook page Link at...

Revelation Audio

·
Registered
188 Posts
IDK about a 911, but I'm in the process of putting 2 BT4180s and one BT2250 in a C7 corvette along with a MS-8. It is tight but it'll all fit. The Biketronics amps are very compact.

261 - 280 of 356 Posts