DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

281 - 300 of 353 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,113 Posts
Regarding a new SQ amp shootout, I doubt that Matt Hall will be doing any more. I thought I saw him post somewhere that while he may do some additional equipment shootouts, that because of his association with Revelation he wouldn't be publishing any more amp shootouts. I could be wrong, and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask him.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Regarding a new SQ amp shootout, I doubt that Matt Hall will be doing any more. I thought I saw him post somewhere that while he may do some additional equipment shootouts, that because of his association with Revelation he wouldn't be publishing any more amp shootouts. I could be wrong, and it certainly doesn't hurt to ask him.
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Womps that’s a bummer

·
Premium Member
9,113 Posts
Nooooooooooooooooooo!

Womps that’s a bummer
Not a problem.

If anyone wants to send me their ultra-rare, esoteric amplifiers, I will gladly hook them up to a cheap computer power supply, feed them low-quality music streams over a Radio Shack 3.5mm to RCA adapter and drive a couple PE Buyout mids sitting loose on a counter top. A full tiered ranking report scribbled on the back of of a political campaign flyer will be photographed with a potato and uploaded for all to review.

If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
75 Posts
For what it's worth, for the last 3 years I have had two of the BT4180s running my front sound stage, and have had no issues whatsoever.

They sound great, and the tiny size was perfect for my stealth install.

One of the units I purchased used from a forum member, and one was new from the company.

Highly recommended!

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
View attachment 233851
I guess these are made to be placed inside a fairing or in enclosed saddlebags on a HD, but do you think they'd have any problems heatwise buried under a rear quarter trim panel or in the sealed front boot of a Porsche 911?
Confirmed from Mike himself that the amps are very stable thermal wise due to the extremely high efficiency of the Hypex modules, it’s overbuilt power supply, and the two internal cooling fans.

They are stable to be stacked in the following configurations (pics attached).

SDS Velcro would be plenty strong to hold them together and even provide a tiny spacing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
How are you mounting them? Got a4 channel to spare?
I’ll be doing a write up/build log soon with all the details.

No spares at the moment. I opted to stack 3 amps together for a mini 12 channel beast! 2 BT4180’s and 1 BT4250. This powers 3-way front stage, 2-way rear fill, and a center channel.

I’m stashing everything in Civic spare tire/donut well. Don’t judge the rats nest of cables.. it’s an ever evolving personal daily driver project with a lot going on: Helix DSP Pro 2, miniDSP DDRC 22, miniDSP DDRC24, 2 x iFi itube2 preamps, and a passive crossover for a 2-way center so far :eek:

I also added Noctua external fans purely for peace of mind during the summer heat. Personal preference. Not really needed per Mike.

Stacked and mounted them using 3M SJ3551 400 Dual Lock strips. Which is more than enough in my scenario. My trunk is lined with MLV. The 3M product adheres like a champ. Similar to Resonix MLV compatible Velcro or SDS Velcro but the 3m Dual Lock is a firmer product which provides a desired gap for air flow between the bottoms of the stacked amps.

Specifically the 400 variant of the 3m Dual Lock provides the highest density of attachment points. A 400 to 400 attachment is a eerily strong attachment. I made the mistake of attaching 1 large 3”x2” piece to the Helix DSP Pro 2 on the middle of the unscrew-able bottom plate... I literally bent/warped the bottom plate before the 400/400 connection even budged when attempting to remove the DSP mounted to MLV. Smaller cut 1/2” to 1” square pieces in the corners of everything is a better solution so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-3M-2-x2-6-1-3-6-10-20-30-150-SJ3551-400-Dual-Lock/323056440726?item=323056440726&var=512178216105&ppid=PPX000608&cnac=US&rsta=en_US(en_US)&cust=7HG58405T91060424&unptid=c8e80960-503b-11e9-94e8-441ea14e0a7c&cal=9e506ceae9cd6&calc=9e506ceae9cd6&calf=9e506ceae9cd6&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=main:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys&pageci=097a8da0-d6a0-4f0e-a427-b23c38704ee4

But all this works phenomenal like I said for my scenario when adhering to MLV. It will also super grip to cleaned metal. I haven’t really tested its adhesion to wood. But 3m makes other Dual Lock products with different adhesions so there is still probably a solution. I’m constantly swapping parts haven’t had any securement issues with various equipment using this method of attachment in a daily driver for the past 3 years. Everything stays put through the potholes, speed bumps, abrupt brakes, etc.

I can’t find the pics but I think Biketronics can put screw mounts that protrude from each corner if you would prefer a mechanical attachment.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Awesome, Though kinda sucks in my install I need it to screw in. Could work something out though. If you know or hear anyone selling for good price please let me know. Also any chance you talked to him about us car guys? I doubt he would care until the winter with all the bike stuff. I saw some harley forum guys stating they do a $150 off Christmas sale?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Also have you ever heard him say that a 2*180 and 2*250 module amp could be done? That would be sick

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’ll be doing a write up/build log soon with all the details.

No spares at the moment. I opted to stack 3 amps together for a mini 12 channel beast! 2 BT4180’s and 1 BT4250. This powers 3-way front stage, 2-way rear fill, and a center channel.

I’m stashing everything in Civic spare tire/donut well. Don’t judge the rats nest of cables.. it’s an ever evolving personal daily driver project with a lot going on: Helix DSP Pro 2, miniDSP DDRC 22, miniDSP DDRC24, 2 x iFi itube2 preamps, and a passive crossover for a 2-way center so far :eek:

I also added Noctua external fans purely for peace of mind during the summer heat. Personal preference. Not really needed per Mike.

Stacked and mounted them using 3M SJ3551 400 Dual Lock strips. Which is more than enough in my scenario. My trunk is lined with MLV. The 3M product adheres like a champ. Similar to Resonix MLV compatible Velcro or SDS Velcro but the 3m Dual Lock is a firmer product which provides a desired gap for air flow between the bottoms of the stacked amps.

Specifically the 400 variant of the 3m Dual Lock provides the highest density of attachment points. A 400 to 400 attachment is a eerily strong attachment. I made the mistake of attaching 1 large 3”x2” piece to the Helix DSP Pro 2 on the middle of the unscrew-able bottom plate... I literally bent/warped the bottom plate before the 400/400 connection even budged when attempting to remove the DSP mounted to MLV. Smaller cut 1/2” to 1” square pieces in the corners of everything is a better solution so far.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Free-Shipping-3M-2-x2-6-1-3-6-10-20-30-150-SJ3551-400-Dual-Lock/323056440726?item=323056440726&var=512178216105&ppid=PPX000608&cnac=US&rsta=en_US(en_US)&cust=7HG58405T91060424&unptid=c8e80960-503b-11e9-94e8-441ea14e0a7c&cal=9e506ceae9cd6&calc=9e506ceae9cd6&calf=9e506ceae9cd6&unp_tpcid=email-receipt-auction-payment&page=main:email&pgrp=main:email&e=op&mchn=em&s=ci&mail=sys&pageci=097a8da0-d6a0-4f0e-a427-b23c38704ee4

But all this works phenomenal like I said for my scenario when adhering to MLV. It will also super grip to cleaned metal. I haven’t really tested its adhesion to wood. But 3m makes other Dual Lock products with different adhesions so there is still probably a solution. I’m constantly swapping parts haven’t had any securement issues with various equipment using this method of attachment in a daily driver for the past 3 years. Everything stays put through the potholes, speed bumps, abrupt brakes, etc.

I can’t find the pics but I think Biketronics can put screw mounts that protrude from each corner if you would prefer a mechanical attachment.
I can't even comprehend what's going on in your picture :D

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Also have you ever heard him say that a 2*180 and 2*250 module amp could be done? That would be sick
I’ve wondered about that as well. Something along the lines of swapping 2 of the 250 modules from a BT4250 for 2 of the 180 modules. The BT4250 power supply would be more than capable. This could bring the BT4250 price down by a little as well as provide the often desired staggered power setup for front stages.

May take a minute to get an answer but I’ll see what I can get out of him!

I can't even comprehend what's going on in your picture :D
Yea it’s a lot. But there is a method to the madness. Give me a couple weeks more to work on it.. and I’ll tell the story of the source signal’s wonderful journey to amplification!:D

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
Awesome, Though kinda sucks in my install I need it to screw in. Could work something out though.
I’m still searching for where I saw it but there is a pic floating somewhere. The Biketronics amps all have a screw in each corner on the bottom plate where attachment feet can be attached.

They can do it for you if you buy directly from Biketronics or you could fashion one from using 4 small/short black mending plates for each corner with a slightly longer screw to accommodate the plate thickness.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I picked one up on the Harley forum for a decent price, couldn't help it. Wondering if the puny power wires will be ok less than 6 inches to the block. Forgot about the mount feet problem. Will have to figure something there.

Spoke to Mike and he is about ready to have the car specific biketronics ready for sale

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
I picked one up on the Harley forum for a decent price, couldn't help it. Wondering if the puny power wires will be ok less than 6 inches to the block. Forgot about the mount feet problem. Will have to figure something there.

Spoke to Mike and he is about ready to have the car specific biketronics ready for sale
Hmmmmmm, thanks for sharing that... Will they have the same power wires?

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
The puny wires should hold up for 6 inches. I was initially running them 20 inches until the block with no issues.

Also heads up for when you do try it out.. if you have a faint noise floor, this can be remedied by sending it to mike to have the input voltage (gain) changed. They can increase the input voltage closer to ~4 volts instead of the 2-3 volts they tend to be set at by default.

I competed with these amps in my 1st competition event at MECA west-coast semi finals this year. With no EQ adjustments, just speaker placement, TA/phase adjustments, and DSP channel gains adjustments, I was able to snag 2nd place for modified class.

Luck or not it’s a testament that these amps won’t degrade your sound quality as a class D option.

281 - 300 of 353 Posts