DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Tuned in for more info.......gonna be amp time real soon, group buy interests me.......especially if there is plans for bridging capabilities for midbass, and a mono for sub action!

·
11,394 Posts
I did see one of the 2 channels had the DSP input section, maybe they will be doing or are doing it on the 4 channel?

Someone try it with some horns mated to some low sensitivity mids to test it out...110 dB mated to 84 dB.

S

·
0 Posts
I'm pretty sure the input on the BT4180 is DSP controlled... I've opened the amplifier up to inspect the construction but haven't gone to the point of disassembling it....

I'm not so sure that test would prove much... Theoretically, the amplifier would produce 180 watts into the HLCD's and into the midbass'.... the horns would still be much louder than the midbass'

·
Registered
724 Posts
The director showed me all sorts of cool stuff. Woofers, tweeters, power supplies, amplifiers, even funny stories about a speaker “torture chamber” that he built to simulate intense heat/cold/humidity. That was an interesting discussion as I learned that the most resilient speakers he had ever tested were the HAT Imagines which took extreme head/cold/humidity with ease for a 24 hour period as it played at maximum output and did not skip a beat. Meanwhile he had destroyed the likes of Focal, Rockford Fosgate, and many other speakers with this same testing as well as many micro amps from other manufacturers (Rockford’s “boosted rail” amps were a dirty word there given how quickly they go into limp mode even with easy loads). This was my first real exposure to HAT which would later lead to me installing Unity components in my wife’s Jeep Grand Cherokee. His dedication to testing and finding the best products for his end customers was fascinating.
Thank you for noting this in your review. :)

Scott

·
11,394 Posts
You need some way of level matching, as it all probably could not be done in the processor.

I'm pretty sure the input on the BT4180 is DSP controlled... I've opened the amplifier up to inspect the construction but haven't gone to the point of disassembling it....

I'm not so sure that test would prove much... Theoretically, the amplifier would produce 180 watts into the HLCD's and into the midbass'.... the horns would still be much louder than the midbass'

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Wish I was better equipped to do the necessary testing to figure out the intput level limitations, etc. of these...but they seem to work really well with even just 1v max voltage. I'm IM'ing with one of the engineers over there right now to see if they have any more data that might help us figure it out :)

These guys have a 100% satisfaction guaranteed policy so if someone were to buy one of these and find it doesn't work well with their current source, you can send it back for full refund. These guys really take great care of their customers.

Thank you for noting this in your review. :)

Scott
You're welcome Scott! I was blown away with what they were putting Imagines through there, amazing what you've done with those. The team there speaks very highly of you, cool that it is such a small world :)

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I believe power doubles at 2 ohm which is exactly why I intend to run a pair of BM MKIV subs off of a 2180. They'll go stable to 1 ohm but power decreases due to design.

Nice planning, I am actually going to run a pair of TM65 off of a 4180 in a Mustang Cobra.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Also interested in the group buy for either the 4180, 2180 or both. Great review, Keep us updated

·
Registered
129 Posts
I pulled the trigger on one of these a few weeks back. Reading all of this makes me even more mad that I have been to busy to get my new install in motion. I will note also about the great customer service I have been shown so far. It has been great. The signatures on the back of the amp of everyone who worked on your amp is an awesome touch. Gives you the feeling that they stand by their work and want their name to be a part of it. All the little things so far have been above and beyond. Now the only thing left is to see if the dyn's like it.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Could you share a couple more photo's of the amplifiers.. Paticularly the commection sections. Curious what exactly to expect.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Pretty small...10-12ga. for power/ground and 18-22ga. for everything else. My power/ground leads are very short.

Edit: Scratch that, 14ga. for power/ground and 18ga. for everything else.

·
Registered
2,849 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if that will work for the sub. Sub will be up front, amp in the very back of the trunk. Not worried about power, but might need to run a short run of 18 gauge to a block and then up the size to the front of the car.

21 - 40 of 336 Posts