DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 336 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Hmm, I wonder if that will work for the sub. Sub will be up front, amp in the very back of the trunk. Not worried about power, but might need to run a short run of 18 gauge to a block and then up the size to the front of the car.
This amp is super small and since it has no jobs that you have to get to for tweaking you could probably how it under the dash or seat pretty easily if you don't want to have to deal with that wiring operation

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
This looks very neatly sorted any simple! Im pleasantly surprised!
For sure, easiest amp I've ever installed. Even easier than hooking up a home receiver.

I'm cranking Alt-J Hunger of the Pines right now while waiting to meet up with a buyer for some car parts I'm selling, my system sounds so freaking good. Drum hits are intense but detailed. I just can't ever get this thing to strain. Can't wait to get my Esotar 110 tweeters hooked up to this thing.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Seems like it would be difficult to output the power #s these have with such small power wiring feeding them.. I forget the math on current rate but off the top of my head,,, I guess ill have to see it to believe it. Maybe I should have you send me one of these to play with. Im very curious..

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
Yeah I did the math when I installed mine and I think I was okay as long as my 14ga. feed was less than a foot from the distro. But I'll look again tonight.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Haha I have been working on getting mine wired up today. It looks so odd to have my 3 runs of 0 Guage being split off into a 200 amp circuit breaker and a 30 amp circuit breaker for this amp.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Thank you for noting this in your review. :)

Scott
i'll be letting all my Cross Country riding buddies know about HAT environment resilience as well.. Last Summer at the Helen Southeast Victory Rally, I saw more Focal/Arc setups in Victory fairings than anything, simply because it's the bike dealer go-to for that stuff, and it appears Focal has really pushed into the powersport market.

No fairing on my Hard-Ball. Darn it. :) Oh well, the glorious exhaust is my road-tunes.

Scott, That might be a good spot for you to make a fun weekend trip and sell that particular aspect of your drivers to some biker folk. Heck I think they even have some folks doing installs right under tents there on fairing Vic's. One name for you on busting into Victory Motorcycle market.. Jon Petrich (Witchdoctors). Biggest aftermarket vendor in the Vic market. Period.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
For those of you looking for reading material, here is the datasheet Hypex has published for the UcD180OEM module:

http://www.audiodesignguide.com/ClassD/UcD180OEMdatasheetnewstyle.pdf

I'm talking with BT today about BT2180 modules and I will likely get one in my hands next week w/o the filters installed for sub duty. Stay tuned!
Did he charge you extra for removing the filters so that you could use it for sub duty? Or is it set to full range output already?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Did he charge you extra for removing the filters so that you could use it for sub duty? Or is it set to full range output already?
No extra charge, my buddy there who handles QA is just going to pull them prior to shipping out to me. Then if it works well which I am sure it will they will try to offer that option from the beginning.

Subs are not super common on bikes which explains the lack of a sub amp...until now :D

i'll be letting all my Cross Country riding buddies know about HAT environment resilience as well.. Last Summer at the Helen Southeast Victory Rally, I saw more Focal/Arc setups in Victory fairings than anything, simply because it's the bike dealer go-to for that stuff, and it appears Focal has really pushed into the powersport market.

No fairing on my Hard-Ball. Darn it. :) Oh well, the glorious exhaust is my road-tunes.

Scott, That might be a good spot for you to make a fun weekend trip and sell that particular aspect of your drivers to some biker folk. Heck I think they even have some folks doing installs right under tents there on fairing Vic's. One name for you on busting into Victory Motorcycle market.. Jon Petrich (Witchdoctors). Biggest aftermarket vendor in the Vic market. Period.
Funny you mention Focal, [email protected] was melting all of their stuff in his torture chamber, Polyglass up through K2. On top of having the worst tweeters I have ever heard, you couldn't pay me enough to run anything from them in my car...MAYBE Utopia but not at retail prices LOL. Then put them in extreme heat/humidity and all bets are off. Really cool findings when you have the right tools and don't care if the stuff breaks. Bill has my dream job :D

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
No extra charge, my buddy there who handles QA is just going to pull them prior to shipping out to me. Then if it works well which I am sure it will they will try to offer that option from the beginning.

Subs are not super common on bikes which explains the lack of a sub amp...until now :D
*:D
Very good review, thanks for your efforts.

Are they going to bridge it for you also. IIRC you have to Bridge it internally ; /
What wattage will you end up with? Any word on a 6 channel?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Yes, bridging must be done internally but easy to do. Though I am not sure there is much benefit, sounds like they are amperage limited and operating a single unit at 2ohm would yield better results than bridging two units at 2ohms (or even bridged at 4ohms):

bridging ucd amps - diyAudio

For more power, a user would be better off swapping to UcD400OEM or UcD700OEM modules. This would require a custom Frankenstein amp and the current power supplies have not been tested to support this but in theory a BT4180 PSU would support a pair of UcD400OEM modules or a single UcD700OEM module.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I'd love to know how this little biketronics amp compares to something like a PDX or JL XD or HD. It really does appear to be quite revolutionary in small footprint amps.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I picked up one of these BT amps last month when they had a Christmas sale. Holy Balls!!! This thing is Dynamic and gets loud and clear. Zero distortion and great woofer control!!! Reminds me of my old Arc Audio 4150cxlr. I'm going to be ordering 2 more for my 3 way active front stage. I'm amazed at the size of this amp. Barely bigger than my iPhone. Will fit almost anywhere. I knew these were something special after hearing the Hypex Ncores in a demo and was blown away. Never liked the sound of Class D amps of the past. Technology has come a long way. If I had to give cons, it would be the fans are a bit noisy. Not a problem for me since mine will be mounted in the trunk and not be heard or seen. The other was I wish I bought more than one when they were discounted. The price is back up...

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
I picked up one of these BT amps last month when they had a Christmas sale. Holy Balls!!! This thing is Dynamic and gets loud and clear. Zero distortion and great woofer control!!! Reminds me of my old Arc Audio 4150cxlr. I'm going to be ordering 2 more for my 3 way active front stage. I'm amazed at the size of this amp. Barely bigger than my iPhone. Will fit almost anywhere. I knew these were something special after hearing the Hypex Ncores in a demo and was blown away. Never liked the sound of Class D amps of the past. Technology has come a long way. If I had to give cons, it would be the fans are a bit noisy. Not a problem for me since mine will be mounted in the trunk and not be heard or seen. The other was I wish I bought more than one when they were discounted. The price is back up...
PM sent, I have a surplus of four right now, all brand new in box with lifetime warranty.

I know these are meant for motorcycle use. Can these be mounted outside of the car or truck?
Given that they tend to be so exposed on motorcycles, possibly? My fear would be shorts at the terminals, though if install correctly and with the terminals facing down, that might be a non-issue. Thinking of installing on a Caterham Super7 or Ariel Atom? :D

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I didn't realize they had fans. Depending on install location of in trunk that's kind of a plus.

41 - 60 of 336 Posts