DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'01 F-150

Rebuilding the door cards:
I have to get 1 ft3 out of them. (I know, I know...) But I'm not going to use the volume of the door as an enclosure - sorry. So It's pretty much the entire center section of the card. Basically, I'm spanning from the armrest to the bottom of the map pockets; even a little deeper, actually, with a bump to bring the woofer on axis.

Anyway - my question is: How should I go about it? The factory cards have the L shaped hooks molded into them. I was just going to cannibalize the factory looking bits that contour near the dash and around the perimeter of the card, with the new glass consuming the majority. Do you guys just build out a totally new card, or frame, then attach the "new" sections to it?

Thanks for your help.
-E

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My suggestion would be to screw/bolt that sucker to the door since it WILL BE HEAVY as hell and if you try and attatch the factory hook's onto the door it will most likely end up sagging or breaking on you at some point down the road

You can make "plugs" that will match the door that have a hole behind them to allow you to screw the door card to the sheetmetal and then put the plug in so that it blends in smoothly with the rest of the door

Keep in mind that door may weigh somewhere close to 15 pounds when you are all finished with fiberglass,filler and the driver's so you need to make sure it is securely fastened so as not to fall

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Tinct. I was thinking the same thing. Makes it a no brainer to physically isolate the panel from the sheet metal, as well. Any pix of well-done "plugs" out there?

Eric

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Thanks, Tinct. I was thinking the same thing. Makes it a no brainer to physically isolate the panel from the sheet metal, as well. Any pix of well-done "plugs" out there?

Eric
What I have done in the past on customers cars where the door panels were heavy for plugs is to use the push in type plugs that you can get from either homedepot/lowes or the auto parts store

They are ribbed posts so that they catch when sliding in and the ends are flat, I would just paint them to match the panel, Drill a hole in the panel making sure to leave enough material inside of it so that the screw or bolt was actually holding the panel on and then just pushed the plug into the hole that I drilled...This way you dont ahve to waste time by making plugs and they look factory since alot of manufactures us them to hold on door panels anyways

Use these as this is what I am talking about
PLASTIC FASTENER - Chrismas tree and low force clip

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine were fairly heavy for my f-150 and I didnt bolt, but if you need a good seal to the inside of the doors, then I'd bolt it up.

Here's mine from an SPL build.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

1 - 9 of 9 Posts