DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to start on my doors again, I've put in some hushmat and was planning on also adding some mlv. How is everybody attaching the mlv to their doors?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I actually saw they were recommending Velcro right?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It just seems like that wouldn't work very well. I keep hearing 100% coverage, wouldn't the Velcro leave some gaps? Or is everybody laying down strips the length and height of the door so that it "seals the mlv to the door?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Here's how I do it using MLV, CCF, vinyl cement and Velcro strips. The Velcro strips need to use a high temperature acrylic PSA. Standard hardware store Velcro strips are NOT compatible with vinyl.

Cut the MLV to fit

Remove the release film from one side of the Velcro strips and attach to the MLV. I use 1 2" square for each 1.5 of MLV area.

Remove the release film from the other side and press into place. Carefully unhook the Velcro and remove the MLV. Press the Velcro halves down to each surface to make sure they are tightly bonded.

Lay the MLV down with the Velcro facing up. Lay the CCF on top and mark the edges of the Velcro. Cut out windows for the Velcro to show through.

Tack the CCF to the MLV use vinyl contact cement

Rehang the MLV and you're done

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Here's how I do it using MLV, CCF, vinyl cement and Velcro strips. The Velcro strips need to use a high temperature acrylic PSA. Standard hardware store Velcro strips are NOT compatible with vinyl.

Cut the MLV to fit

Remove the release film from one side of the Velcro strips and attach to the MLV. I use 1 2" square for each 1.5 of MLV area.

Remove the release film from the other side and press into place. Carefully unhook the Velcro and remove the MLV. Press the Velcro halves down to each surface to make sure they are tightly bonded.

Lay the MLV down with the Velcro facing up. Lay the CCF on top and mark the edges of the Velcro. Cut out windows for the Velcro to show through.

Tack the CCF to the MLV use vinyl contact cement

Rehang the MLV and you're done
So where would one aquire this type of velcro?
I was about to resort to sheet metal screws.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now that makes sense. Thank you. I do have another question though; from what I understand use tiles on the metal of the door as your first layer, then use the ccf under the mlv? Should you put another layer of ccf between the mlv and the door panel?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Website link above is where you can find the Velcro

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Now that makes sense. Thank you. I do have another question though; from what I understand use tiles on the metal of the door as your first layer, then use the ccf under the mlv? Should you put another layer of ccf between the mlv and the door panel?
That's the ideal. Some vehicles have very complicated interfaces between the trim panel and inner skin that makes the whole thing impossible or extremely difficult. Others have varying amounts of space to work with. There are many advantages to placing the barrier layers on the inner skin, so that's always my first choice.

The firs step is fitting the MLV. This can be tricky and is worth taking some time to do right. The Velcro makes it much easier since you can make slight adjustments i registration and move the MLV between the inner skin and trim panel to test fit. Yo want everything that touched the inner skin before you added the MLV to touch the inner skin after you hang. You want to cut away as little MLV as possible. When the MLV is finished, the trim panel should sit in its original position. If you have to throw your shoulder into it, you aren't done fitting. It's always a good idea to start with the passenger side. Many times the driver side is a mirror image with one or two more holes required. You may be able to use the passenger side MLV as a template and save yourself a lot of time.

After the MLV is trimmed, start adding CCF. You'll really want to examine things first. You pretty much want to add as much CCF as will fit. The idea is have enough of the CCF compress slightly as it will take to press the whole thing tightly against the inner skin.

If there isn't space for inner skin / CCF / MLV / CCF / trim panel, I'll do inner skin / MLV / CCF / trim panel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts