DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Three days later, any update?

I've been thinking of glassing a box for my car but do not have the time to follow the project through unless it's a 3 hour job.. My 30 minute jobs turn into three hours for various reasons so I doubt I could glass a box in any amount of time 😆

·
Registered
468 Posts
If I could possibly give any advice, anywhere you could get resin on will get resin on. Your tape up looks professional

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry no update I forgot i had a big softball tourney this long weekend so I’ve got the taping done and the frame cut but no glass work yet!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
I would round a little bit those right angles and roundover them, so mat will lay better on thet wooden template. maybe use some ALU foil over the taped off areas, so you wont have hard tome to remove mold from the car.
make some more protection of the car arround the working area if you accidentally spill your resin,....newspaper, cardboare, polivynil,...enything will bebetter than nothing

Chris12 did project similar to yours not too long ago, you might check his work.....

·
Registered
2010 Silverado CC
251 Posts
Looks pretty good, how many layers is that?

If you have trouble pulling that mold out, drilling a hole in the bottom and hitting it with an air compressor can really help loosen it and get it out, then just patch that hole with some more glass

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks pretty good, how many layers is that?

If you have trouble pulling that mold out, drilling a hole in the bottom and hitting it with an air compressor can really help loosen it and get it out, then just patch that hole with some more glass
Only 2-3 layers maybe it was hard to do around the cup holder part because I F’ed the mold up so I’m gonna do a few layers in the garage on horses.

·
Registered
397 Posts
How long did the actual fiberglass laying take?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just did a quick seal along the bottom edge and a full coat of resin on the whole bottom. Tomorrow I’m doing more layers on the inside then it’s time to get the subs in

·
Registered
591 Posts
Great job for your first time. I always have such a problem with the tape sticking to the fibreglass after I pull the tub out. Did you use waxed or unwaxed resin? How thick (ounces) was your mat?

I also recommend mixing up only small batches of resin at a time unless it’s cold out because working time is like 25% of cure time. So if it says 1 hour to cure, you have 15 minutes before it starts to gel! But never mix your MEKP to resin ratio below 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great job for your first time. I always have such a problem with the tape sticking to the fibreglass after I pull the tub out. Did you use waxed or unwaxed resin? How thick (ounces) was your mat?

I also recommend mixing up only small batches of resin at a time unless it’s cold out because working time is like 25% of cure time. So if it says 1 hour to cure, you have 15 minutes before it starts to gel! But never mix your MEKP to resin ratio below 1%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Mat was pretty thick I’d have to check when I get home and not sure if the resin was waxed or not either my buddy fixes sailboats so I asked him to get me the good stuff he would use for fixing boats lol. And yeah I was to 200-300ml of resin at a time and that was hard to use up fast sometimes lol 1ml of hardener per 100ml of resin was what it called for so that’s what I did. I’m camping til tomorrow so this weekend I hope to get it all finished up!
Plant Road surface Asphalt Grey Grass

·
Registered
33 Posts
Dang, nice job for a first time. (y) I cant fiberglass worth a crap even though theres so many things I want to do. Never turns out any good.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts