DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There!
So much great info on this site that I had to register. Very very cool.
I will be attempting to do an AW install on my 2013 Prius Two. I'm looking for quality, not volume, and this seems to be the best place to get the sage like advice I need.

Here's a real newbie question though. If the little full range drivers can only handle 20W, how do I integrate them with an amp putting out 75W RMS per channel?

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
285 Posts
Welcome to the site Bob!

The best way to use those speakers on that amp would be to just go easy on the volume and not push them too hard. I personally like having an amp that has more power than the speaker can handle and not push it that hard than to have an amp too small for the speaker.

If you are going for quality and not volume and you don't crank things up too much you'll probably be just fine with that amp on that speaker.

·
Registered
285 Posts
To expand on that, if it's a 3" lets say and it doesn't have a crossover built into it (you might see a cap on the speaker to help cross it over so it doesn't get the lower frequencies) then on your amp you might want to look to see if you can do a high pass cross over to help make it so it doesn't get the lower notes. Like maybe a 200 or 300 Hz and up type thing. But you may only need to do that if you hear the speaker start to break up or distort.

You said small full range speaker so I don't know how big that is but was just guessing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the fast replies!
I should have expanded on my grand plans. I already have the Rockford Fosgate 3sixty.2. Was planning on mating this to an Alpine PDR-V75 for the full range dash speakers (replacing the Prius' dash tweeters) and front door speakers.
The amp would also power a JL Audio 8" ported "microsub" which will live in the trunk area.

Thank you guys and gals for talking about sound deadening material from Parts Express. So much cheaper.
I'm slightly nervous about doing all of this myself, but it will be very satisfying once complete.

Advice appreciated

Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is going to turn into a build log.

Today I started in earnest on the installation and acoustic treatment of my 2013 Prius. It will take a long time, so there may be some entertaining videos to go along with it.

Today I gave the rear passenger side door the full Sound Deadener Showdown treatment. Thanks to TOOSTUBBORNTOFAIL and Don at SDS for the words of wisdom.
Before I list the components, I wanted to say how interesting and remarkable the difference is between an untreated door and the door after i finished. Adding the butyl rope between the door stiffeners and outer skin was a massive improvement, then I added the CLD. Even more improvement!
Then I undertook the masochistic ritual of fitting CCF and MLV. This was a ton of work. It is worth it, though from where I sit at the beginning of this process, I can't imagine doing the whole car.

One door down.

Materials:

KnoKnoise Kolossus (KnuKonceptz)
1/8" closed cell foam (local foam store)
1 lb per sq/ft mass loaded vinyl (eBay from Trademark Sound)
Extruded Butyl Rope (SoundDeadenerShowdown.com)

I will have a quieter car before I have any new equipment in there. I'll try to keep the build log updated.

Woo hoo!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey All.
Today I had some time to continue with my 2013 Prius build.
This is evolving into acoustic treatment using the Sound Deadener Showdown method and a speaker upgrade using the full range (augmented wideband) approach. Doing the front speakers only. Will disconnect the rear speakers when the time comes.

I created a little video showing the progress, and hope to keep up with it. Since I'll be doing this build in pieces when I have time, I think the videos will be a good log. Here's the first one!

https://youtu.be/ceZTZzCtl8w

Thanks to TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL, JT, and Don at Sound Deadener Showdown for good advice as I get into this.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, it's been a year since I did the acoustic treatment on my rear passenger doors.... and I haven't done anything since.

Figured it's time to end the embarrassment which is the pile of stuff on my workbench and finish the install on my 2013 Prius. To that end, I measured and then designed in SketchUp, the lower cargo shelf in the Prius. This is the area below the cargo area and above the spare, jack, and tools. I used this model to lay out my amp, processor, and sub as well.
I have a public link for the SketchUp file for anyone who might want it.

If anyone has files from which to trace and cut baffles for the dash speakers, it would be a huge time saver for me. Thanks!

-Bob

·
Registered
7 Posts
Great job Bob! I have a 2015 Prius Two that I have recently just put in an audio system, but will be adding more acoustic treatment than what the audio shop had installed. I haven't started yet since I'm trying to figure out what materials to use but your log is making it easy for me. Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Alright! Getting some momentum going on this install.
Yesterday I put in the front door speakers and did the Kolossus KnoKnoise treatment to the front door skins.

It was actually pretty easy to run the speaker cable through the existing door boot. I unbolted the boot retaining bracket and cut the tape which holds the plastic in place to the metal bracket where it makes a 90° bend at the door interior. Then, coming from the footwell side, I coaxed the cable through the boot and was able to pull enough cable through to run along the existing cable bundle, and through a rubber plug in the interior door skin.

The speaker baffles I made out of 3/4" MDF and finished with a few coats of bedliner spray. This stuff is pretty mediocre and I should have gone with Plasti-Dip spray. Would have had better coverage and not been as gritty as the bedliner.
They were affixed to the door with super cool 10-24 threaded inserts. They were easy to install and create great mounting points. Used Loctite on the machine screws.

I soldered 16ga cable to the Dayton Audio RS180P-4 7" Reference Paper Woofer 4 Ohm speakers and finished off the connections with some heat shrink.
Probably left too much cable out and may have to pick up some more, but better I be long than short. (heh)

I ran a time lapse camera on the driver side door install, so I'll put that together and post a link soon.

Hopefully it won't be another 4 months before I get to the fun stuff.

Pics and a .jpg of my cargo area model at this link: http://www.bobbereshphotography.com/Cars/Prius-Stereo-Install/53116-Front-Door-Speakers/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow. Looking at my last post, it's been more than a year later since I last gave this project any effort. I think I have a problem with procrastination.

Over the last few days, I finally gave the project one big push and finished things up in a rough way. There will need to be tuning, and tweaking, and a finished installation to clean up the wiring. For now, I have a system that runs. Here's what transpired:

DASH SPEAKERS
- Pulled the OEM dash speakers.
- Made mounting brackets out of 1/8" plastic (sintra) by tracing the original dash speakers' brackets.
- Drilled and tapped for 4-40 screws (because that's what I had around).
- Mounted the Dayton Audio RS75-4 full range speakers.
- Ran the wire from the dash locations down the firewall / dash and along the sills.

HEAD UNIT
- Pulled the OEM head unit.
- Replaced the connectors out back which led to the OEM speakers with the custom Y-cable I built, sending front-right and front-left channels to the RF 3sixty.2 at the rear of the car.
- Ran the 4 conductor cable under the dash and along the driver side sill to the rear of the car (should have been a surgeon).

POWER
- Added in-line fuses to the +12v cables for the amp and processor.
- Removed the paint from the car body under the Ground mounting point.
- Secured the crimped gold ring terminal terminated +12v and ground amp cables to their respective mounting points.

DIAGNOSTIC
- Confirmed signal output and maximum volume from the head unit with an oscilloscope and tested for clipping.

AMP AND PROCESSOR
- Wired +/- left and right high output channels to the high input mounting block on the 3sixty.2.
- Wired +/- left and right dash and door output, and subwoofer speaker cables to the Alpine PDR-V75.
- Connected 3sixty.2 to the Alpine PDR-V75 with short RCA cables.

MOMENT OF TRUTH
- Connected negative cable back to the 12v battery. NO FIRES, SPARKS, OR SMOKE!!

INITIALIZATION
- Unplugged the RCA cables from the 3sixty.2.
- Did I mention that I have to use an antique Palm Pilot TX to tune the 3sixty.2? It's comical, but actually works, so I'm not complaining. Attempting to use the PC with the RF software was a non-starter.
- Ran the Rockford Fosgate software on the Palm to set up the system. Took a few tries, but it works.
- IT WORKS!!!

See this link for a bunch of photos.
9/17/17 Dash Speakers Wiring 3Sixty.2 Amp - Bob Beresh Photography

Thanks again for everyone whose advice and positive feedback made this happen.
Now if I can just finish things in a timely way, I might get somewhere in life. Oh well, at least I'll be able to have great sound while I'm procrastinating.

Bob

1 - 14 of 14 Posts