DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bing,

Do you happen to have any build pics of the kick panels in your old Volvo 850? I have the same car and have recently changed my plans from a 3 way front to a 2 way w/a 6.5" and tweet in the kick and was hoping to get some ideas on the base mold. Or, a link to the build on it would be great, as I'm struggling to figure out what I want to do in the hatch.

Thanks!

-Ben

·
4,981 Posts
yessir...unfortunately no i dont :( not anymore at least..back then i didnt have a digital camera...plus i think if i were to do it all again now, i would have done it differently.

there is plenty of space in the spare tire well, i did my idq12, arc amp and big analog eq in there before. kicks are kinda annoying in the car, being how the stock kick area is...but i think its prolly hte best solution given the crappy door locations.

sorry, i wish i had a log or something, but i dont :(

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yessir...unfortunately no i dont :( not anymore at least..back then i didnt have a digital camera...plus i think if i were to do it all again now, i would have done it differently.

there is plenty of space in the spare tire well, i did my idq12, arc amp and big analog eq in there before. kicks are kinda annoying in the car, being how the stock kick area is...but i think its prolly hte best solution given the crappy door locations.

sorry, i wish i had a log or something, but i dont :(
No worries! :)

On the kicks, did you have your back mold wrap up onto the "shelf" area under the dashboard? And, did you find that you were able to get enough airspace to get sufficient midbass presence out of kicks in the car?

My original plan was an 8" midbass in custom pods in the lower doors, 4" midranges in the kicks, and tweets on the a-pillars. But, the amount of fab work to do the door panels is a little intimidating for me.

Thanks again,

-Ben

·
4,981 Posts
i am not so sure if 8"s are the best thing for that car. the key question is, are you willing to cut metal?

the stock metal in the kick area has that little kick up, or step, and its at a place where you want the magnet of the speaker to be...so it kinda makes the whole thing protrudes out more htan it should. so if you can cut metal there, and sink the spekaer further down into the floor, you can get it to look cleaner and get more equivalent volume in there by venting out of the hole...

i think i made it so the mold extended to the door sill plate trim, on top portion to about an inch below the bottom of the dashboard cover plate.

this is perhaps the best pic i have from 2003

thats with no metal cutting btw.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hey! Integra Ovations? I sure did love mine, very nice kick install right there!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i am not so sure if 8"s are the best thing for that car. the key question is, are you willing to cut metal?

the stock metal in the kick area has that little kick up, or step, and its at a place where you want the magnet of the speaker to be...so it kinda makes the whole thing protrudes out more htan it should. so if you can cut metal there, and sink the spekaer further down into the floor, you can get it to look cleaner and get more equivalent volume in there by venting out of the hole...

i think i made it so the mold extended to the door sill plate trim, on top portion to about an inch below the bottom of the dashboard cover plate.

this is perhaps the best pic i have from 2003

thats with no metal cutting btw.

Thanks again for all the input Bing, I appreciate it!

So, without cutting any metal how satisfied were you with the midbass response of the kicks?

Also, kind of off topic, but I'd be curious to hear your opinion on the Ovations as well. Pondering maybe running those in the wife's car (it's going to be a Logic 7/ms8 set up in a '05 Altima).

Thanks again,

-Ben

1 - 7 of 7 Posts