DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How can I attenuate my tweeters? Can I just add an 8 ohm resistor to each one? Or do I have to use some kind of a special attenuator?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
A variable L-Pad, like this one

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-260

is what you're looking for. It lets you dial in the attenuation you need as opposed to guessing with a hard wired L-Pad within your passive crossover.

The PE L-Pad shown above is for 8 ohm drivers. If your tweeters are 4 ohm, do what Ogredave suggested. CDT uses them for their attenuation circuits in their Image Enhancement Kits. They're 4 ohm and work really well. You can contact DJDilliodon on www.sounddomain.com forum. He sells them for under $20.00. If there's another place to get them I don't know of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm running my tweeters active off of the head unit, so it doesn't matter if the ohms change. I can control the tweeter level to some degree from the head unit, but the problem is that it doesn't turn them down enough. I need them to be turned down by about twice as loud. Could I just put in a cheap 8 ohm resistor? Would that affect sound quality?

·
Registered
531 Posts
simon21 said:
I'm running my tweeters active off of the head unit, so it doesn't matter if the ohms change. I can control the tweeter level to some degree from the head unit, but the problem is that it doesn't turn them down enough. I need them to be turned down by about twice as loud. Could I just put in a cheap 8 ohm resistor? Would that affect sound quality?
you could try it....i'd suggest running a 4 ohm resistor in series first....before you try 8 ohm....might even want to go smaller than 4...

hell buy a bunch...resistors are cheap...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Resistor won't affect sq. It's the easiest way to attenuate the driver. Although I'm surprised if you're running active, you can't just drop the level on the hu or amp?

·
Registered
60 Posts
npdang said:
Resistor won't affect sq. It's the easiest way to attenuate the driver. Although I'm surprised if you're running active, you can't just drop the level on the hu or amp?
"I can control the tweeter level to some degree from the head unit, but the problem is that it doesn't turn them down enough."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts