DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all

Am looking for some advice on my front stage speakers.

I mostly listen to older electronic music and older acid house, and then sometimes newer house music, classic rock, radio pop music. At home I have some 20yo B&W's which I love, and some newer Q Acoustics which have better imaging, but I love the brighter 'sound' of the B&W's.

For car audio I've used in the past:
Infinity References - sounded like distorted horror
Older Clarion HX components - I like a lot
Alpine R-S65C - very clean but a bit fatiguing on long journeys
Active 4-way frankenstein (Vifa XT25 / Dayton RS100 / Dayton RS150 / Boston Acoustics 12.5LF) - I ended up dropping back to just the RS75 fullrange + sub because it sounded better :-D

Current gear for this car:
Alpine CDA-137EBT head unit
Zapco ST-6X DSP ([email protected] / [email protected] x6) - not purchased yet, will run front stage 2-way active, then use 2 channels bridged for the sub.
Boston Acoustics 12.5LF 12" sub
Leaving the rear doors factory - I prefer not to have "rear fill", they will just be off unless someone in the back seat specifically asks me to fade them in.

The component sets I'm considering are: (prices in New Zealand dollars!)
DD Audio CC6.5 - $499 - auditioned, very nice indeed
Focal PS 165F - $525 - will try and audition on Monday
Hertz MPK165.3 - $599 - never heard, nearest stockist is 8 hours away
Rainbow SL-C6.5 - $599 - never heard, nearest stockist is 8 hours away

From reading reviews I think the Rainbows might be my cup of tea; any advice to the contrary?

Note that it's now VERY expensive to import into New Zealand with shipping and various duties and taxes, and our dollars do not buy much compared to USD (and I can't realistically return or make warranty claims). It would be more expensive for me to import a set of SB Acoustics drivers from Madisound than to buy the DD Audio set. So I've decided to buy something retail from a NZ distributor. I am fine paying for crossovers I won't use for this build. (I may use them in a future car.)

Thanks for any and all advice on those components!

·
Registered
723 Posts
Go with hertz Mille ml280 and ml1600. Those will be much better than what you have listed. Run them active if possible off a 5 ch amp. Audison Voce makes a 5.1k since you have a hertz dealer and a bit ten would work. I have this actual set up

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Go with hertz Mille ml280 and ml1600
Are you meaning the ML280.3 and ML1650.3?

The NZ Hertz distributor doesn't appear to sell drivers separately, but I'll ask them just in case. Anyway, the MLK1650.3 set which has those drivers is NZD$1499, so perhaps pricing on these works a little differently in your area, or you were meaning something else?

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I have the focal ps165fx they are deathly bright. Even tuned down on my dsp they cut out so much to be standable the sound is starting to a lot detail. Also DO NOT for the love of lord buy a big ten biggest new headache I have had to deal with. Buy a helix or wait for the zapco or hell even the Dayton. Just save yourself the headache and don't do it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
723 Posts
Go with hertz Mille ml280 and ml1600
Are you meaning the ML280.3 and ML1650.3?

The NZ Hertz distributor doesn't appear to sell drivers separately, but I'll ask them just in case. Anyway, the MLK1650.3 set which has those drivers is NZD$1499, so perhaps pricing on these works a little differently in your area, or you were meaning something else?
They sure can sell the drivers without the cross overs. I’d look on fb classifeds and other places online over there. You should be able to get the ml280.3 and ml1600.3 for about 400-500 used i just got my ml280 and ml1600 for $400

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
I’ve had 3 different bit tens in 3 different builds and have never had a issue at all with any of them. I’m currently running one now with zero issues.

They are noisy clunky old feeling buggy junk to me I hate mine. But that's good someone is having good luck

·
Registered
723 Posts
I’ve had 3 different bit tens in 3 different builds and have never had a issue at all with any of them. I’m currently running one now with zero issues.

They are noisy clunky old feeling buggy junk to me I hate mine. But that's good someone is having good luck

I don’t have any noise issues i do like mine but I’m also not the one who installs and tunes it. I however do like my helix dsp a lot i have the pro mk2

1 - 12 of 12 Posts