DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a first for me, so please not too harsh on any criticisms if possible. I don't have the budget, tools, time or experience that most here have, but I want a nice sound, 2-way for now.

This is my build so far, but it's been through a few revisions, so I don't have door shots, mostly just my sub enclosure and amp rack which will be capped off with a beauty board ( as I think they are called).

I had a fiberglass enclosure I made for the little cubby we have in the trunk, but I blew the sub (and my arc amp which Arc is repairing currently). So I wanted to combine the amps and my enclosure while not losing that much trunk space and maintaining access to my spare with little effort. So stealth is my objective.

Equipment-
OEM RSN-E NAV unit
Focal Tempo 6s
Dayton HO 10"
Arc Audio KS1000.1
Arc Audio KS300.4

Pics to come, but here's my baby.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This was the fiberglass enclosure I made that I am now replacing. The sub blew, and I hated having the amps at another location so I wanted to combine them all for a clean, stealth look.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, here's the enclosure for the Dayton HO, .7cft.

Test fit-, you can see the curve from the spare tire in the floor

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wasnt as liberal with deadener as I've seen here. The Audi's sheetmetal is pretty thick, so I need to cover every inch with it?

rear deck that I am going to cover with carpet.

this is what I will use to mount the sub amp when my Arc is returned

I had to use my sundown amp while the arc is repaired

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I kinda like the sub in the little cubbyhole. Build a grille for it and it would be gone from sight.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hopefully this weekend, I can work on the beauty board. It will essentially be a wall with a cutout for the 2 amps and sub, covered in carpet with some accents from carbon fiber vinyl. Hopefully, I can do a decent job of it.

The amps vibrate some when the sub is hitting hard, should I use some rubber washers or similar under the amp feet? Oh and the sub box is fastened to the frame behind the seats, though I might add an additional support on both sides fastened to the cargo net hooks. Overall, I LOVE the Dayton HO. Love it. It blends so much nicer than my TC Sounds OEM10 and hits lower than the Mach5 IXL before I blew it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I kinda like the sub in the little cubbyhole. Build a grille for it and it would be gone from sight.
I was going to grill it and finish it off nicely before I blew the sub. Since I had to replace the sub, I wanted to keep the new sub and amps in one place, so I combined them behind what will be a wall behind the seats when it's done.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I was going to grill it and finish it off nicely before I blew the sub. Since I had to replace the sub, I wanted to keep the new sub and amps in one place, so I combined them behind what will be a wall behind the seats when it's done.
I am sure it will look good when finished, but the little cubbyhole box is pretty unique and the look you are going to is a commonly used layout. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am sure it will look good when finished, but the little cubbyhole box is pretty unique and the look you are going to is a commonly used layout. Just my opinion though.
Yea, that's cool. I'm going for stealth for the most part, so it's not a presentation thing really. I think the most important thing for me was keeping the amps hidden and with the sub. With the cubby enclosure I could not do that. But I will always have that as an option to fall back on :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
May i suggest covering the amps (wires and other exposed things) to give it a more clean looking install....
maybe even incorporate some lights in the trunk to accomodate the amps n sub
just a few ideas to freshen things up a bit
for the rest...great n nice work
good idea on gettin some rubbers in between
i would also use them on the support for the box....that way(i assume it will be metal on metal) their will b no noise what so ever(hopefully!!!!)

Continue doin a good jod dude!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. Yes, the amps and sub will all be covered by a beauty board (I think that is the term) which I am getting ready to work on this weekend. This is just my progress so far, I only get some time on the weekends to work on it. I can't decide if it will be a wall with the center cut out but still carpeted to cover the opening but allow sound through (I know carpet would not be as acoustically transparent but it's only sub bass?) Or I might cut out the sub opening and two flanking squares on each side to reveal the amps' Arc logo. I might try the wall board completely covered to test the sound and if it blocks sound then I could cut the sub opening and amp logo squares out.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's almost done. I have to carpet the front of the sub box in some black carpet because you see just a sliver of the box behind the board cut out. I went this far, I want it to look clean. I also have to figure out a way to fasten the board. I have speaker grill connectors, just drilling to the sub box makes me nervous and I may resort to less than ideal velcro.

I also need to carpet the underneath section of the rear deck. I'd love to have some lights in there, but that's outside my realm of knowledge. I don't know what lights I'd get, how they'd be wired, etc. My Audi has a lot of red interior lights, so I'd love to put some red LEDs on the sub and amp sections wired off the trunk light, but that's not something I know how or what to do.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts